How to convince your wife to let you display????

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
dunginhawk
Printmaster!

How to convince your wife to let you display????

Post by dunginhawk »

Good morning :) So ive been battling the "its just cheap plastic sh*t" for a while now... Because the T rex was so cool, i got that on the mantle for a few days.

But even a nice vase, which if you dont pick it up, doesnt appear to be cheap at all.

Does anyone else fight this same battle? Ive seen some amazing alterations etc to 3d printed parts, adding rope around a candle holder, etc that look awesome.. I could try some of that i suppose.

Just curious as to what you guys battle with :)
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: How to convince your wife to let you display????

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Imprint her name into some of it, generally works for me... :)
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

My wife's an elementary teacher. She needed boxes to hold crayons for her centers. So we sat down together and designed the box and lid together and printed them. Made a few changes and printed it again. Because one of the first things I made was sort of useful to her she doesn't care that I can sit on my ass calibrating the printer for 13 hours printing pyramids :) Then again, I've always been into this kind of thing and she bought the printer for my x-mas present.

Best advise I can give is find something that she can use and helps her, OR start a long ass print and pickup a broom or vacuum and start cleaning. I found both help in my case.
marcom
Prints-a-lot

Post by marcom »

She was convinced I was going to print nothing but Stormtroopers and T Rex heads. Then I made her this and she finally got it:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Wow that reads like clickbait - it's a shower razor holder, in case you don't want to click through ;) )
Rostock MAX v2, Prusa i3, Makerfarm Pegasus
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

My GF bought herself a Lulzbot mini (and a form 2, for both of us) and gets mad when I don't print her enough stuff. So, I guess I'm lucky. I even get to have some of my FAILED prints shown off in the living room. Because even an ABS-cracked terminator skull looks pretty cool.
*not actually a robot
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I have the same issue here, but it's with myself.

I've seen plenty of prints that have inspired a "phwoar, that's awesome". I have a few on the shelf in the study. But I've yet to see a print come out of my or anyone else's printer that I'd put on the shelf in the lounge.

Because cheap plastic is EXACTLY what we're making and there's no getting around that.

Imagine coming across your prize print in a flea market or supermarket. Try and dissociate your pride and happiness of "I made this!" Would you buy ANY of your prize pieces as display items?

I know I wouldnt.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

With the color-mixing hot ends, there's a lot more prospect for something that has cool factor beyond the baseline 3D printing cool factor. I also just made an adapter for a dashcam mount to interface with the GoPro mounting system out of clear PETG that I think has a marketable amount of sparkle to it if it were an aesthetic part rather than a functional one.

Then there's the customization factor. I'm making mostly custom functional parts, adapters, stands, and cases that you'd never find on the open market.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I don't have the problem at all with my printed fly fishing reels. People seem to love them. I do not try to disguise the fact that they are 3D printed, I actually try to export the unique characteristics 3D printing imparts. Much like a woodworker exploits the grain in the wood. Here's a simple example:
IMG_4357.jpg

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Looks really great mhackney, but I doubt you have them in a glass display in your livingroom...
And if you do (what would not even surprise me that much) is that really because of your wife liking them so much? ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I do and she does! I also have several large printed vases on prominent display including 1 in our china cabinet. Maybe I'm lucky?

This particular reel is on display at the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester, Vt too.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Holy1
Printmaster!

Post by Holy1 »

I didn't know mhackney made fly fishing reels! ;)
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

mhackney wrote:I do and she does! I also have several large printed vases on prominent display including 1 in our china cabinet. Maybe I'm lucky?
I guess she loves you more than my wife loves me... On the other hand, I never got her a china cabinet, maybe that's the difference... :oops: :lol: :lol:
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
ken cummings
Prints-a-lot

Post by ken cummings »

It was her idea to get a printer in the first place. She was still working in Engineering and saw her retired Mining Engineer spouse going tech flabby cycling, gardening and doing Google Earth stuff. So we got a a Bukito a couple of years ago. Now an Orion. We both enjoy taking one to a local eatery (Chick-fil-A) and printing stuff for people while I (mostly) push 3D Printing to people. (Yes I am an extreme extrovert). If there is another next time around arrange to marry an Engineer.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I can picture you sitting at a table with a sign that reads, "Will print parts for chicken!" :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

There are filaments that are a hybrid of metal powder (copper, brass, bronze) and PLA. They can be sanded and polished using metal polish. Judicious use of black paint can be used to add an "oxidized" look.

Anything printed with PLA should be kept out of direct sunlight and never left in a parked car in the daytime. However, I think we're talking about stuff to put on your mantle, yes? There are any number of sculptures you could print with metal-fill filament, and post-process with sanding and polishing, that would look great on your mantle.

There are also filaments with wood, carbon fiber, felt, cobalt, etc.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I took the approach of making my girlfriend some roses (It had been an issue in the past where I would give her a homegrown rose, and it would start shedding petals before she got it home), and painting them up really nicely. She loves them, and I think it kinda solved the issue of getting her to accept printed things preemptively.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Xenocrates wrote:I took the approach of making my girlfriend some roses (It had been an issue in the past where I would give her a homegrown rose, and it would start shedding petals before she got it home), and painting them up really nicely. She loves them, and I think it kinda solved the issue of getting her to accept printed things preemptively.
That was a great idea! Printed roses is a unique idea and one I would never have thought of. Thanks!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”