39 cm hight print

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
duvdev
Printmaster!

39 cm hight print

Post by duvdev »

Hello

I need to print for a costumer an "aluminum" like profile 39 cm hight

I know it is at the top of the printer and very hard to do - any suggestions or tips?

thanks
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: 39 cm hight print

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Keep in mind that the printable area is not perfectly cylindrical. Your max Z height is only at the very center point, from there it's a cone shape down to the full diameter. Kind of shaped like a huge pencil.

You might have to cut the model up and glue it together.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

You have the option to print it at an angle - stand it up but tip it a little bit. Might not be the best idea depending on how big the footprint is - you wouldn't want it to tip over in the middle of the print.
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

the footprint of the model 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm
and it will be palced on the center point
doctorgonzo
Printmaster!

Post by doctorgonzo »

Aspect ratio of the part also plays a huge roll, by which I mean how tall it is compared to how skinny it is. You have a crazy aspect ratio!

If the part is tall and skinny, it won't have much surface area holding it to the print bed. As the part gets taller, any force the nozzle applies to the print will multiply as the lever arm gets longer and longer. Eventually a tiny bump is all it takes to pop the part off the bed.

I'd suggest using a fairly wide skirt, maybe 15 or 20 loops (or more) around the part, to increase the amount of surface area stuck to the bed.

As previously mentioned, you might have to divide and conquer. I did that when I had to print a full length rifle stock for a customer - ended up slicing it into three parts and using dowel pins to align everything.

Chris
radicaldev
Printmaster!

Post by radicaldev »

That is awesome, Chris. Got any pics? Any idea what cartridge the rifle used, and how the stock is holding up?

If that's really a viable option, I might try to make a youth stock for my Henry lever action 45 Colt.
doctorgonzo
Printmaster!

Post by doctorgonzo »

It was a prototype for a black powder rifle made by a major manufacturer here in Atlanta. They used it to verify ergonomics, and as a trade show prop. It was never fired, never intended to be.

That one job payed for the printer and then some.

Back on topic, is there a way you can print the part laying down, in pieces? The layer orientation will be stronger but the geometry may not allow this approach.

Chris
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

39 cm printed just fine at the center of the plate.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”