OpenDACT(Delta Automatic Calibration Tool) - For Repetier

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Re: OpenDACT(Delta Automatic Calibration Tool) - For Repetie

Post by HumanLiberty »

I recently installed the FSR kit using Mhackney's printed mounts and instructions - (thank you for those Michael!)

I've been scouring this forum and other online sources for instructions on where to connect the FSR board to RAMBo,
to no avail. I figure is must be obvious or someone would have posted it, but I still don't know. Can anyone help?
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

Hey HumanLiberty,

Have a look at this post.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

HumanLiberty - the JohnSL board connects to RAMBo on the Z minimum endstop connector.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Thanks Mhachney and enggmaug!
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Guys, I tried installing the new version on a windows 7 machine and no luck. I know rollie, mhackney and a few other were discussing compiling for mac os, linux, and other windows versions besides 8.1 and 10 on page 12 of this thread...
has there been any progress there?
I only have a mac, am not a computer guy, and don't know where to get my hands on windows 8.1 machine, so hoping...
Or should it have worked fine on Windows 7 and I screwed it up somehow...?
terabyte
Prints-a-lot

Post by terabyte »

I am using it in Win7, it does have some glitches but it installed. What does it do exactly?
terabyte
Prints-a-lot

Post by terabyte »

It would work like that in a perfect world. However, geometry and other problems with bed will make a difference. When calibrated to 288mm the center area was not perfect, calibrating to 140mm diameter made the center acceptable. I believe that the algorithm just calibrates at the specified diameter against the center spot, thus between the center and the max diameter there might be variations.
DeltaCon wrote:...the wider the diameter you use for calibration, the more accurate the calibration is...
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

terabyte wrote:I am using it in Win7, it does have some glitches but it installed. What does it do exactly?
I'd have to get that win7 machine back and try it again to see - it just wouldn't install - maybe it was due to anti-virus software.
I just got access to a win10 machine, so I'll let you know how that works out.

Thanks!

Eric
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Guys I have some questions about running OpenDACT from a Win10 environment with a printer that has previously been run via Mac.

Do I need to reconfigure/install eeprom/arduino form the wondows environment in order for the PC version of Mattercontrol to connect with the printer, and run OpenDACT? I assume Mattercontrol needs to be open while OpenDACT is running so it can make adjustments to eeprom values.

As that all correct?

Many thanks as always,

-Eric
terabyte
Prints-a-lot

Post by terabyte »

Eric,
As long as you have installed Arduino drivers, both OpenDACT and Matterconrol should work, but both cannot be connected to the printer at the same time.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Thanks Terabyte! So do I need to re-install Arduino from the windows machine for them to connect with the printer? (My printer is currently set up from the mac version of arduino.)
terabyte
Prints-a-lot

Post by terabyte »

Yes, HumanLiberty, and your'welcome. If you have not set up Arduino on your windows machine, you need to do so as per instructions in the user's guide. Of course, you do not have to upload the firmware if it is already running on your printer. You do not even have to run Arduino, the installation is needed for the drivers, and if you want to mess with the firmware; just go for it.
On the other hand, once you get OpenDACT working, you can modify the sections of eeprom, which are relevant to calibration, from the OpenDACT itself. But be careful with the OpenDACT though - I had to replace the glass already:).
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Thanks, and good heads-up on the glass terabyte. Having installed Arduino software, MC and OpenDACT still can't find my printer from the Win10 machine. Mac still works fine. To not take us down to much of a tangent here, I've just posted about this in the Troubleshooting forum instead.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

So Gene fixed the connection problem with a baud-rate change - but now once connected, OpenDACT is unresponsive - "calibrate"does nothing, nor do any other functions, including read/write to EEPROM. I've tried restarting the application, printer and computer multiple times, to no avail. RollieRowland, what do you make of it? I only have access to this computer for a few more days so really hoping to get it working - hopefully this case will provide some broadly helpful troubleshooting/debugging data...
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

HumanLiberty wrote:So Gene fixed the connection problem with a baud-rate change - but now once connected, OpenDACT is unresponsive - "calibrate"does nothing, nor do any other functions, including read/write to EEPROM. I've tried restarting the application, printer and computer multiple times, to no avail. RollieRowland, what do you make of it? I only have access to this computer for a few more days so really hoping to get it working - hopefully this case will provide some broadly helpful troubleshooting/debugging data...

If you are in Europe, or anywhere where the decimals representation in numbers is not the same as in US, set up your computer to use US numeric system.
terabyte
Prints-a-lot

Post by terabyte »

HumanLiberty wrote:"calibrate"does nothing, nor do any other functions
Does it give you any information in the "Console" window? Did you try switching to "Advanced", there might be some more information showing there. Although I have not experienced locality issues, but others have. I hope that is all you have to do.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Thanks again terabyte. I posted this issue on the Arduino Forum.
The solution ended up being to install IDE v1.0.6, rather than the most recent 1.6.7. I then set it and the RAMBo onto COM1 - Solved!

Here's the next challenge:
I set the Z-height where the nozzle was firing all three FSRs. Plate diameter 290. Diagonal Rod 325 (tricklaser 325mm rods installed).
OpenDACT can communicate with EEPROM, and "Check Current Height" and "Calibrate" run - but with the nozzle hovering 1-2cm above the bed, and no FRSs firing (obviously).

Does anyone know how to get OpenDACT to touch down and fire the FSRs and truly measure/calibrate?
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

HumanLiberty wrote:Thanks again terabyte. I posted this issue on the Arduino Forum.
The solution ended up being to install IDE v1.0.6, rather than the most recent 1.6.7. I then set it and the RAMBo onto COM1 - Solved!

Here's the next challenge:
I set the Z-height where the nozzle was firing all three FSRs. Plate diameter 290. Diagonal Rod 325 (tricklaser 325mm rods installed).
OpenDACT can communicate with EEPROM, and "Check Current Height" and "Calibrate" run - but with the nozzle hovering 1-2cm above the bed, and no FRSs firing (obviously).

Does anyone know how to get OpenDACT to touch down and fire the FSRs and truly measure/calibrate?
So, I'm assuming that the effector is moving to the 7 standard positions and not probing? If this is the case then the firmware is not setup properly (z probing settings) or your probe switch state needs to be inverted - onhigh in the firmware (can be done physically with the FSR controller as well). If this isn't what's happening then we will look into other possibilities.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Yes that's what's happening. So how should the z-probing settings be set up? And where is onhigh located within the firmware and/or how do you switch it on the controller? I manually searched every tab in the repetier/Arduino firmware, but nothing popped.
Last edited by HumanLiberty on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
featheryjam2
Plasticator

Post by featheryjam2 »

I'm having an issue where the app does basically nothing. I have the proper drivers installed and can run the printer via Repetier Host. The OpenDACT software can read and write to the EEPROM, but whenever I hit calibrate, it simply reads the EEPROM data (I can tell from the advanced button) and then nothing else happens.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

I was having a similar issue which resolved when I uninstalled the most recent Arduino IDE (1.6.7) and replaced it with an early version (1.0.6).
The guy who suggested that in the Arduino forum said there are significant known problems interfacing 1.6.7 and windows10.
featheryjam2
Plasticator

Post by featheryjam2 »

Hi HumanLiberty,
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try it out later when I get home. However, I don't think that I'm having the same problem. I can read/write EEPROM using OpenDACT and can even send commands using the send command button. However, when I hit calibrate, the only thing that happens is that the EEPROM gets read (I can tell by looking at the console in the advanced button that the EEPROM did in fact get sent). After that, nothing happens.

I"m confident that the drivers are working propertly because other software can communicate to the printer. I can also use older versions of OpenDACT that actually try to calibrate (Some older versions skip readings while others take forever and make ridiculous changes to the horizontal radius which result in printer crash).
featheryjam2
Plasticator

Post by featheryjam2 »

I removed the latest Arduino software and switched to Arduino 1.0.6. Still no luck. Same issue
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

featheryjam2 wrote:Hi HumanLiberty,
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try it out later when I get home. However, I don't think that I'm having the same problem. I can read/write EEPROM using OpenDACT and can even send commands using the send command button. However, when I hit calibrate, the only thing that happens is that the EEPROM gets read (I can tell by looking at the console in the advanced button that the EEPROM did in fact get sent). After that, nothing happens.

I"m confident that the drivers are working propertly because other software can communicate to the printer. I can also use older versions of OpenDACT that actually try to calibrate (Some older versions skip readings while others take forever and make ridiculous changes to the horizontal radius which result in printer crash).

Is your computer configured to use US numbering system ? I had the exact same behavior with my windows set up with french numbering.
featheryjam2
Plasticator

Post by featheryjam2 »

Yes. It should be as I'm in the States and am American. Is there a way to check?

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”