Printing with Wood!

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
BrainSlugs83
Printmaster!

Printing with Wood!

Post by BrainSlugs83 »

It's a new wood fiber filament called "Laywood", looks like you can vary the shade (light to dark) by changing the extruder temperature, not exactly color mixing but opens the door to neat possibilities for printing patterned objects.

http://hackaday.com/2012/09/21/3d-printer-filament-made-of-wood/
[img]http://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/ood.jpg[/img]
tom10122
Printmaster!

Re: Printing with Wood!

Post by tom10122 »

Yeah I saw that post too, pretty cool
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

I wonder how it compares to ABS or PLA.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
BrainSlugs83
Printmaster!

Post by BrainSlugs83 »

It says "Parts printed with Laywood have about the same properties as parts printed with PLA filament." but then goes on to explain the coloring feature, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement... Another property I know is different is the price! It's $20/.5 kg !!!

in addition, I wonder if it's flammable... like, you know, regular wood...?
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

I followed the links. Either the article had a typo or the price has doubled since it was written...it comes out to ~$20/.25 kg! Plus whatever they charge for shipping from Germany.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Eric wrote:I followed the links. Either the article had a typo or the price has doubled since it was written...it comes out to ~$20/.25 kg! Plus whatever they charge for shipping from Germany.
Ouch!
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I just spent a frustrating time trying to print with this material! It actually flows nicely over the range from 190 to 240 deg C. I used the python gcode post processor on thingiverese to change the temperature for each layer to get the cool woodgrain effect. The problem with the stuff is it is very brittle. Simply letting the extruder pull it off the spool I put it on caused it to break about 2hrs into the print with no way to recover. I know a lot of tricks to "heal" broken filament or change to a new spool during a print but this stuff didn't respond we'll.

It is very cool looking and has a texture that hides the layers somewhat. It has a slight wood fragrance when it prints. I am going to find something smaller to print and see if I can get a complete print.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”