BuildTak Tips and Tricks

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

BuildTak Tips and Tricks

Post by ccavanaugh »

I'm looking for tips and tricks for working with BuildTak. I was on the fence between going the PEI route and BuildTak route and ultimately choose the BuildTak after seeing a good price.

At this point, I'm struggling to get results as good as use of glue stick on glass.

The bed and printer are very level with the skirt thickness variation measuring .03mm max in the print area. I'm not over squishing the part and the skit is measuring at the target 1st layer height. Any closer and I get squeeze out on the perimeter and it takes a block of wood and mallet to pop the part off. I'm finding that parts adhere very well to the bed, release with a bit of help from a pallet knife, are not removable with hand pressure or a cold soak in the freezer, but I still get lifting and warping in the corners.

Print parameters are:
PLA at 200C for all layers
First Layer height is .2mm
Print Layer height is .1mm
Layer cooling after .4mm
Bed temperature is 30C (I've found a little bit of heat helps reduce the warping, but afraid to go much higher as 40C resulted in a delaminated part where the infill started using the wood block and mallet)
1st layer speed is currently 40 mm/S and 80 mm/s for other layers
Surface is clean with a wipe down of 70% iso alcohol.

The test part is currently the 20mm x 20mm x 10mm test part that still warps. Larger parts fail miserably with lifting and I don't want to use mouse ears on the parts.

I'm curious as to what others are doing. I can flip the glass over and move on and try PEI later, but I would like to make the most out of the current purchase first. Having buyer remorse. :(

Thanks!
blackrabt
Prints-a-lot

Re: BuildTak Tips and Tricks

Post by blackrabt »

Buddy of mine is going the buildtak route, I will let you know what I hear.
plasma
Printmaster!

Post by plasma »

Used BuildTak with mixed results. Then changed to PEI and never went back. Still have 4 sheets of BT left over in the closet.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

My tips for using buildtak: put it in the garbage. A giant time and money waste. PEI is the answer you were hoping for.
*not actually a robot

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”