web based Delta printer least-squares calibration calculator

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

web based Delta printer least-squares calibration calculator

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I have not tried it yet but thought somebody may find it handy
http://escher3d.com/pages/wizards/wizarddelta.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: web based Delta printer least-squares calibration calcul

Post by mhackney »

Brian, this is EXACTLY the same auto calibration that is built into the dc42 RepRapFirmware but migrated to the web. David wrote both. It works really well.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

cool. good to know.

what electronics do I need to run dc42 fw ?
could you share a link to source to buy?

btw, would it happen to work on a azteeg X5 board I have collecting dust?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Duet electronics from print3dthink3d.com in the UK.

Nope, the firmware runs on Duet, Alligator and one other board.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

will dc42 fw run on a smoothie board?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

It wouldn't unless it was ported. I heard 626pilot may be thinking of doing just that (for the motion portion).
*not actually a robot
plasma
Printmaster!

Post by plasma »

It looks like you can pick Smoothieware as a choice on as the first option. So theoretically you can use the web based solution on the azteeg X5. Its just a manual input calibration.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

The question seems to have been posed about dc42 fw, the dc42 branch of RepRapFirmware, running on smoothieboards. The calibration system alone is only a small part of the dc42 fw.
*not actually a robot
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I've been running dc42 on all my deltas except 1 (I have smoothie on it so I can stay current with Smoothie developments too). I've written about the dc42 RepRapFirmware several places here. I wholeheartedly support it for MANY reasons. Not only is the auto calibration very good (<30 seconds and I get excellent results( but it is the only firmware that calculates every point of movement and does not use line segments like all the other mainstream firmwares. The built in web server is the best in my opinion also - and I've spent a fair amount of time with Octoprint and others. Finally, the PanelDue touch screen display is superb as well as full color. For all the effort I (and many others) have put into using this that and the other control board, firmware, auxiliary RaspberryPis and other stuff, the investment in a Duet board and PanelDue is trivial and actually works out of the gate.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

mhackney wrote:I've been running dc42 on all my deltas except 1 (I have smoothie on it so I can stay current with Smoothie developments too). I've written about the dc42 RepRapFirmware several places here. I wholeheartedly support it for MANY reasons. Not only is the auto calibration very good (<30 seconds and I get excellent results( but it is the only firmware that calculates every point of movement and does not use line segments like all the other mainstream firmwares. The built in web server is the best in my opinion also - and I've spent a fair amount of time with Octoprint and others. Finally, the PanelDue touch screen display is superb as well as full color. For all the effort I (and many others) have put into using this that and the other control board, firmware, auxiliary RaspberryPis and other stuff, the investment in a Duet board and PanelDue is trivial and actually works out of the gate.
What is involved in converting a Max v2 to the Duet-PanelDue and dc42? is it just a matter of replacing the components involved and learning the new systems or is there extensive rewiring also needed (larger PS for example) is there a step by step anywhere for the switch from rambo and its display?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

The connectors on RAMBo are different than the Duet. What I did was make short jumpers to adapt the Rostock's wiring harness to Duet in this case. I actually have several different adapters that I made to test other boards too. It's a simple matter to swap a board out with a new one without requiring everything.

Once the Duet is physically wired/connected, the PanelDue just plugs in. To take advantage of the auto calibration you need a Z probe of some sort. I'm a fan of FSR under the bed probes but there are other options including the IR probe that David developed for Duet (and I'd like to try on one of my machines as it is effector mounted and simple no contact probing).

No new power supply is needed. There is no step by step. But like always, anyone wanting to go down this path, just ask for help and some of us will chime in. I don't have a V2 so I can't say what the best options are for mounting the board. On my V1 I mount my controller on one of the base doors facing OUT to make it readily accessible and keep it cooler. I'm constantly swapping boards and other components so this works for me.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

I dont understand how to use it.
I have rambo boards in all my printers with Z probe.

Will it work?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Sure. You basically create the probing map first and then fill in the fields on the web form. There are instructions there.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I am reading this DC42 subject with great interest because I purchased the Duet and the Panel Due. Just waiting to finish up the printer to install the card.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

mhackney wrote:The connectors on RAMBo are different than the Duet. What I did was make short jumpers to adapt the Rostock's wiring harness to Duet in this case. I actually have several different adapters that I made to test other boards too. It's a simple matter to swap a board out with a new one without requiring everything.

Once the Duet is physically wired/connected, the PanelDue just plugs in. To take advantage of the auto calibration you need a Z probe of some sort. I'm a fan of FSR under the bed probes but there are other options including the IR probe that David developed for Duet (and I'd like to try on one of my machines as it is effector mounted and simple no contact probing).

No new power supply is needed. There is no step by step. But like always, anyone wanting to go down this path, just ask for help and some of us will chime in. I don't have a V2 so I can't say what the best options are for mounting the board. On my V1 I mount my controller on one of the base doors facing OUT to make it readily accessible and keep it cooler. I'm constantly swapping boards and other components so this works for me.
Thank You Sensei (we need a formal bow Smilie :) )

It is strong that I am already thinking about what I want to do in the way of upgraded and improvements or even of building another delta of some sort to experiment with when I have just started to learn how to use this one and I can see that becoming half a good as the experts here such as you is a long path but I had such fun building the V2 I don't want to put the tools away for long.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

If I could make 1 change to the Rostock or make 1 upgrade recommendation it would be to use Duet with an FSR probing system. I can't tell you how much more enjoyable printing is now. I NEVER have to worry about setting Z=0, calibration, day to day changes, etc.

One thought would be to build a mini kossel or kossel250. Print the parts and use it as a platform for testing.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

SeeMeCNC is pretty tied to Ultimachine, so I don't see a major controller change happening any time soon. I do think that the accelerometer-based probe is going to make life a lot easier though.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see Ultimachine build a DUE based board though.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

My thought was to wait till I can upgrade with the accelerometer probe kit before I make radical changes to my MaxV2 which is my learning how to do things printer....and let that lead me where I want to go with this hobby.

But if the bug to build another printer bites me a bit too hard this is on my wish list it seems to tick the boxes as to the controls
The Release 3 Mini Kossel
https://www.think3dprint3d.com/Kossel-M ... rinter-Kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; £382.50 inc shipping to Maine.... or $600 its very tempting and there is the tax refund check that is due in a few weeks..... but then I recall that I am out the $500 deductible for my frozen pipes mess this week
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Windshadow wrote:My thought was to wait till I can upgrade with the accelerometer probe kit before I make radical changes to my MaxV2 which is my learning how to do things printer....and let that lead me where I want to go with this hobby.

But if the bug to build another printer bites me a bit too hard this is on my wish list it seems to tick the boxes as to the controls
The Release 3 Mini Kossel
https://www.think3dprint3d.com/Kossel-M ... rinter-Kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; £382.50 inc shipping to Maine.... or $600 its very tempting and there is the tax refund check that is due in a few weeks..... but then I recall that I am out the $500 deductible for my frozen pipes mess this week
If you go with this printer and can afford it I would purchase the Panel Due display for it also. Just plugs into the DC42 controller that comes with the printer.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

geneb wrote:SeeMeCNC is pretty tied to Ultimachine, so I don't see a major controller change happening any time soon. I do think that the accelerometer-based probe is going to make life a lot easier though.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see Ultimachine build a DUE based board though.

g.

I hope so... The Ultimachine board build quality is first rate.
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

Has anyone tried to use this tool to manually calibrate a Rostock Max V2 running Repetier? I haven't been able to get good results. I've been talking with David to try to figure out my issue, and he has been awesomely responsive. He doesn't actually run a Repetier machine, so he is relying on feedback to match up the nomenclature differences. To me it seems that the step offsets are adding when they should be subtracting. Is anyone willing to run the 4 point calibration as an easy check?
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

mhackney wrote:The connectors on RAMBo are different than the Duet. What I did was make short jumpers
Hey Mhackney- Do you know the name of the connectors on the Duet side? I just got mine, and I'd like to make a set of jumpers too. I already have FSRs installed, I'm really looking forward to getting auto calibration working... That's been a holy grail for me.

Thanks-

Lightpath.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

They are simple .1" connectors. I get these: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_in ... s_id=15070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in 4, 3 and 2 pin versions. They are polarized but will work on the non-polarized terminals on Duet. I like the polarized since at least there is a visual indication to help you replace them if you are consistent. I.e. I face the "slot" up on all connectors on the board.

Once you have Duet and dc42 calibration working with FSRs you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

I ordered some, thanks!

I ordered the Duet, however the display is out of stock. I'll order one of those once they are available again. I really like the onboard ethernet. If I understand correctly you don't use 3'rd party software to control it, like repetier host. You just use the web interface, upload the gcode, and the board handles all of the details?
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

mhackney wrote:If I could make 1 change to the Rostock or make 1 upgrade recommendation it would be to use Duet with an FSR probing system...
Better to use the contactless IR-Miniboard from David (DC42).

Using FSR is probematic if you are using a heated bed which is covered with Buildtak for example. One touch with the hot nozzle will destroy the Buildtak.
I´m using a PEI Plate and don´t know what happen when the hot Nozzle touches the PEI, but I suspect it will burn the PEI.

So the IR Probe is a good and very accuarte solution. I´m using it in 3 Printers and never had any problems.

Do you use a PEI Plate too with your FSR setup? No Burnmarks?

cheers
Dirk

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”