SE 300 Hot End Leaking (PLA)

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
TKerr
Noob

SE 300 Hot End Leaking (PLA)

Post by TKerr »

I’m new to 3d printing so any tips would be very appreciated! I've been working with PLA at 210 C on a Rostock v 3.2.

I previously had a leak that got filament throughout the heater block and in the area where the nozzle threads into the hot end. I cleaned it as best as I could and replaced the short length of PTFE tubing that sits above the nozzle. I also made the short piece of tubing a little longer so that there wouldn’t be a gap.

There was a new leak today out the top of the heater block and around the top of the nozzle. Is it possible that the tubing shifted, or is there something else going on? Is there anything I should be doing to prevent future leaks?

Thanks!
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: SE 300 Hot End Leaking (PLA)

Post by Mac The Knife »

Out of curiosity, after you reinstalled the nozzle, you did preheat it to around 240, and retightened the nozzle before printing?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
TKerr
Noob

Post by TKerr »

I did not do that. Is that something I should do every time I install a nozzle? What type of impact does that have on the filament coming out of the top of the heater block?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Yes, when ever you remove or loosen the nozzle. The nozzle is supposed to be seated to the end of the heatbreak, with the aluminum heater block holding them together. Since aluminum expands more than the brass nozzle, and the stainless steel heat break, they become unseated when it gets to temperature. On the other hand, when you want to remove the nozzle, you would need to preheat the hotend to loosen it.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
TKerr
Noob

Post by TKerr »

That's very helpful, thank you! I'll make sure to follow those steps next time I attach the nozzle.

Return to “Troubleshooting”