Do i need a new Cheapskate Inside Plate?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Tropicalsq744
Plasticator

Do i need a new Cheapskate Inside Plate?

Post by Tropicalsq744 »

So i wasn't careful when screwing in the belt clamp holders and this is what my inside plate looks like now (the prongs on the t-nuts got bent and dug into the melamine - i was using a battery operated screwdriver)

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IOWj ... 223444.jpg[/img]

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CVRH ... 223514.jpg[/img]

My question is, in a proper installation, should the t-nut sit flush on the melamine and the prongs be bent or should the prongs just sit normally on the melamine (below)?

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ffsp ... 223958.jpg[/img]
Brian
Printmaster!

Re: Do i need a new Cheapskate Inside Plate?

Post by Brian »

You shouls be able to salvage that piece. It's a little roughed up on that spot, but otherwise looks functional. That appears to be just cosmetic damage.

You can just take the scuffed up part, and trim off any loose particles. then soak the exposed fibers with CA glue (super glue) to hold it together. Then assemble as normal. The damage should not even be visible from the outside, and in cases where it might be visible, a little paint will cover the messed up part.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

The same spot that the tnuts go in is where the nylon spacers go for the belt clamps. As long as the piece is structurally ok, you won't be able to tell later.
Tropicalsq744
Plasticator

Post by Tropicalsq744 »

Thanks Brian and Jim!

I'm still a bit unsure, what is the right way to install the t-nut. Should the prongs be bent when the screw is fully installed or should the prongs be straight?
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Prongs should be straight and fully embedded.

nitewatchman
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

nitewatchman wrote:Prongs should be straight and fully embedded.

nitewatchman
Yup, the prongs bite into the wood and keep the threads of the nut from turning.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

The thing is that with the cheapskate plate, the slot for the toothed belt grip (I forget what the manual calls it) is right next to the screw holes, so when you mount the T-nut, the slot is so close that no matter what you do, at least one of the "prongs" on the T-nut will fall in the slot. This makes the T-nut want to tilt as you install it.

What I did was to line the T-nut up so that two "prongs" were biting into the melamine, and one was in the slot. Then, I used a clamp to squeeze the t-nut into the wood nice and straight, Then I put a dot or two of CA glue on the edge of the T-nut that would hold it to the melamine. I found that a dot of CA glue under the T-nuts would keep them from falling out when you were assembling the parts (instead of using tape like the manual suggests). This was helpful where you had a ton of T-nuts on a part.

Return to “Troubleshooting”