I can't update firmware (Fixed)

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

I can't update firmware (Fixed)

Post by Oscar »

Hi guys, I have this problem.

I must correct some parametres about Z0, such as #define Printer Radius.

Each time that I try to load new firmware to the Rambo board, i have those errors:

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

The Comunications with Rambo board are good, because I can see how Arduino software, performs a reset in the Rambo board when I try to upload new firmware.

The version of repetier in the Rambo board is 0.80, I'm trying to upgrade it to 0.91. I have latest version of Arduino installed.

would you be so kind for help me?

Thanks and sorry for my English, I came from Spain.
Last edited by Oscar on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: I can't update firmware

Post by teoman »

Do you have the correct version of Arduino board and serial port selected?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

I think yes, I have selected Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK and Com port is 3, I have no choice for last one and if I unplug USB, this option dissapear from tool menu.

I have trying to upload firmware with an standart usb wire, same that I'm using to comunicate with repetier host software. And of course I switch off from repetier before upload firmware.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I suppose you have tried to restart everything.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Yes, of course, I don't know what can I do more.

Most of Arduino boards, has a bootloader, to let users without a programmer device, upload his programs to the boards with a standart USB or Serial RS232 wire. Without this bootloader, the only way to upload is with a programmer device.

I'm beginning to think that I have to purchase a programmer device.
Russ
Prints-a-lot

Post by Russ »

I have run into this connection issue sometimes with Rep-Host and the Arduino dev environment (Avrdue). It was caused by Windows 7 thinking the com/usb driver connects to a mouse, and treats it as such, preventing you from connecting to it with other software. The solution for me was to go into Windows device manage, look under pointing devices or mice, and uninstall it (leave your regular mouse installed). Then turn the printer back on again and if you are lucky, it will be recognized under ports instead.

Hope that helps!
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

Rostock Max V2 - Lovin' it! Mods including dual 92mm chassis fans, vertical 92mm Rambo fan, and AstroSyn dampers.
MendelMax 1.5 - still in the box, what to do?
Thing-O-Matic - Rebuilt carriage, now converting to NinjaFlex
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

That is true. But if it were totally messed up, you would not be able to connect to it.

Is this the rostock or the orion?
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Hi again guys and thanks for the help...
teoman wrote:That is true. But if it were totally messed up, you would not be able to connect to it.

Is this the rostock or the orion?
It is the Rostock Max 3D v1, version of repetier is 0.80
Russ wrote:I have run into this connection issue sometimes with Rep-Host and the Arduino dev environment (Avrdue). It was caused by Windows 7 thinking the com/usb driver connects to a mouse, and treats it as such, preventing you from connecting to it with other software. The solution for me was to go into Windows device manage, look under pointing devices or mice, and uninstall it (leave your regular mouse installed). Then turn the printer back on again and if you are lucky, it will be recognized under ports instead.

Hope that helps!
With repetier host, it do not have problems, in fact I already printed the test cube. But to leave perfect the calibration, I must modify some parametres in the firmware of Rambo board. Repetier Host works with the Com3 and Arduino detects the Com3 when I plug USB wire; in fact if I unplug it, it warns me and show an comm error.

So I understand that the comunication is sucessful, but I don't understand what is happening when I try to upload firmware.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Well, I'm finally almost convinced that my motherboard does not have bootloader, sure it has been programmed with a programmer, wich don`t need the bootloader. I think this because the startup is instant. So I have 2 choices. Buy a programmer, like AVR-ISP or try to install a bootloader with a paralell programer made by myself.

Do you have any suggestions?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Oscar wrote:Well, I'm finally almost convinced that my motherboard does not have bootloader, sure it has been programmed with a programmer, wich don`t need the bootloader. I think this because the startup is instant. So I have 2 choices. Buy a programmer, like AVR-ISP or try to install a bootloader with a paralell programer made by myself.

Do you have any suggestions?
Send the Rambo into Seemecnc and let them reprogram the bootloader. [email protected]
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Ok
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Sarcasm /On Ok I will send from Spain, my Rambo board to upload the bootloader, also the pulleys alone broken without being installing them on the machine., and the power switch that has insufficient power to heat the extruder and the heated bed simultaneously. I think that I was very lucky with my kit. Sarcasm /Off
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Ok, this may seem trivial, but you aren't leaving the board connected to repetier-host while also trying to simultaneously connect to Arduino, right? Because in that case, both hosts can't simultaneously communicate with the card.

If ANYthing else on your computer is trying to read/write to/from the Rambo, then you won't be able to get Arduino to connect.

Try connecting with a different computer?
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

lightninjay wrote:Ok, this may seem trivial, but you aren't leaving the board connected to repetier-host while also trying to simultaneously connect to Arduino, right? Because in that case, both hosts can't simultaneously communicate with the card.

If ANYthing else on your computer is trying to read/write to/from the Rambo, then you won't be able to get Arduino to connect.

Try connecting with a different computer?
Of course I'm not conected to Repetier when I try to upgrade firmware with arduino. Arduino connects whith the board, I am sure of it, I can see with the monitor, some messages from Rambo, like restart, wait... also if y send G28 whith Arduino, Motors go up to touch the end stops, like repetier host.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

So looking at your other post here, it looks like you have "RAMBo" selected in your Arduino program.

[img]http://forum.seemecnc.com/download/file ... &mode=view[/img]

Try the seventh option, "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK", if you haven't actually done so already.

Si este es cierto, lo siento para mi confusión.

This may be completely out of left field, but is it possible that your Spanish version of Arduino is having troubles communicating with the English protocols of the Repetier firmware and the Arduino program itself trying to write to the board?
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Hello lightninjay

I alrready have tryed selecting 7th option. Long time ago, I have been experimenting with an Arduino One Board. This board in the bootloader time, blink a led atached (in to the board) to the pin one, during ten seconds to show bootload time. Well if i attach another thing to that pin, I was unable to upload programs. I tell you this, to explain, that I have unplug all conectors to the Rambo board, to try if this board has same problem with some pin.

This weekend I will try to test with an english version of Arduino, thanks for the suggestion, but every time I am more convinced that my Rambo board hasn't bootloader.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Oscar wrote:Sarcasm /On Ok I will send from Spain, my Rambo board to upload the bootloader, also the pulleys alone broken without being installing them on the machine., and the power switch that has insufficient power to heat the extruder and the heated bed simultaneously. I think that I was very lucky with my kit. Sarcasm /Off
Sarcasm is not necessary. Friendly communication is.
If I had known that you were in Spain, I would not have suggested returning the board to Seemecnc.
As far as the other defective parts, I feel for you and Seemecnc should not have sent you defective parts.
I do not work for them so I can be of no help in you receiving new parts.
I wish for you a speedy resolution to your problems.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Eaglezsoar wrote: Sarcasm is not necessary. Friendly communication is.
If I had known that you were in Spain, I would not have suggested returning the board to Seemecnc.
As far as the other defective parts, I feel for you and Seemecnc should not have sent you defective parts.
Hello again Eaglezsozar...

Mi sarcasm was not targeted to you, sorry if you has felt angry for it and my apologizes for it.

Mi sarcasm is a way to show my frustation with all happened, But I'm very happy to see that my English is so good that you haven't noticed it coming from outside. ;-)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

If you've not flashed a bootloader before, send it to seemecnc, setting the fuses can be a bit frustrating.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Oscar wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote: Sarcasm is not necessary. Friendly communication is.
Hello again Eaglezsozar...

Mi sarcasm was not targeted to you, sorry if you has felt angry for it and my apologizes for it.

Mi sarcasm is a way to show my frustation with all happened, But I'm very happy to see that my English is so good that you haven't noticed it coming from outside. ;-)
Your English is great, I was shocked to find out that you were from Spain.
No need to apologize, we all have our frustrations and the need to let them out.
Read all you can about reloading the bootloader before attempting it. To search everything in this forum enter this into your browser: site:forum.seemecnc.com bootloader
This will tell it to search all of the seemecnc forum for the word bootloader. Handy to use. You can search for any word.
I do hope you get this fixed soon! :)
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Post by Oscar »

Eaglezsoar wrote: Read all you can about reloading the bootloader before attempting it. To search everything in this forum enter this into your browser: site:forum.seemecnc.com bootloader
This will tell it to search all of the seemecnc forum for the word bootloader. Handy to use. You can search for any word.
I Already have flashed a bootloader in a Arduino board, but not in a Rambo board, so I have to study a bit the process. As Rambo is an Arduino Board, I suppose that is similar process, but I remember that last time that I flashed a bootloader i done it with a paralell interface, but i had a lot of problems because since win95, Windows does not handle very well parallel port and has a tendency to not let use it by external programs.

Concernin to send to seemecnc the board, the truth is that if i can't flash the board with the paralell interface made myself, is cheaper and quick for me buy a programmer and flash by me the board

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Oscar wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote: Read all you can about reloading the bootloader before attempting it. To search everything in this forum enter this into your browser: site:forum.seemecnc.com bootloader
I Already have flashed a bootloader in a Arduino board, but not in a Rambo board, so I have to study a bit the process. As Rambo is an Arduino Board, I suppose that is similar process, but I remember that last time that I flashed a bootloader i done it with a paralell interface, but i had a lot of problems because since win95, Windows does not handle very well parallel port and has a tendency to not let use it by external programs.

Concernin to send to seemecnc the board, the truth is that if i can't flash the board with the paralell interface made myself, is cheaper and quick for me buy a programmer and flash by me the board

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I agree that it would be better to purchase the correct programmer, a link to a video that seemecnc created is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC4Pv15Ibco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best of luck.
Oscar
Prints-a-lot

Re: I can't update firmware (Fixed)

Post by Oscar »

Finally past friday I received the avr programmer.

Today I have flashed the bootloader and now I can modify or upgrade the firmware without problem.

Thanks every one for the help ... sarcasm /On seemecnc especially for having put things so easy. sarcasm /off ;-)
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

Mine didn't come with a working bootloader either. I used my Bus Pirate to program it.

A bit odd, yes, but I figured I'm learning more about how the machine works...
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

So, unless I'm missing something, how does SeeMeCNC have anything to do with the problems with the Rambo? I mean, sure, ultimately they were the vendor... but it's made (and warrantied?) by Ultimachine... they would have been the ones to talk to, I believe? Or were there some other things? Pulleys that broke?
*not actually a robot

Return to “Troubleshooting”