holes not translating and other issue

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
AZjeff
Plasticator

holes not translating and other issue

Post by AZjeff »

I don't think the two are related, but I have 2 issues. One or both seem like they could be software issues, but I'm a noob at this.

Most of the early prints were downloaded from thingiverse, and they all went well. no problems with the fan shrouds, either. I'm fairly lucky, as I had an engineer help me put the Rostock V2 together. Ok, it was more like he did it and I was his sous chef. But still, the experience was valuable as I feel like I "know" the printer much better.

So here is my problem. Issue one seems to be a problem regardless of whether I create the stl or if I download it. The pictures pertain to this issue.

[img]http://media.use.com/images/s_1/dd0be2df4620bae41548_1.jpg[/img] [img]http://media.use.com/images/s_1/dd0be2df4620bae41548_2.jpg[/img]

As you can see, the I'm trying to create what looks like a square with a round hole in the center. It's actually supposed to be a rectangle, as it builds "up". Imagine a 3 faced rectangular box with holes on the sides. The triangular infill area is the "inside" and 3 walls are supposed to build around it.

It seems like when the printer is supposed to be building the "inner face" of that side, it starts "covering" the hole instead. The thing is that it's done this on both stl files that I've created and ones I've downloaded. I've mostly used sketch up (but there are other issues with that program). I've also used Wings (but that program confuses the crap out of me).

The other problem seems more related to Sketchup in particular. When I export an STL, the dimensions get distorted in matter control. The stl created by sketchup at, say, 11x4x4 in, tuns into, say, 5x5x5. It's hard to tell if the ratio changes as I haven't been able to full print one due to the first problem.

I'm certainly open to user error, but I've seen nothing of the sort anywhere, and I'm not a complete idiot (I hope).

Any input or ideas are appreciated. I've read a bunch of the other posts and they have helped me tweak some of my previous printing issues.

What am I doing wrong?
kellyds
Plasticator

Re: holes not translating and other issue

Post by kellyds »

Howdy Jeff,

Post up your stl or skp file here; there may be some issues with the construction that the experienced modellers can identify. Also, I've noticed that some of the downloaded models are, well, pretty, but not well suited to printing.

Sean
AZjeff
Plasticator

Post by AZjeff »

Hi. It's been a while since I posted this. Part of the reason I couldn't upload is, well, my desktop was disorganized and I didn't remember which file it was. Some of the issues I corrected, but the main issue--not printing what I "designed", and printing over the holes remains.

I am not a very good modeler. I am an extreme noob. I am using Sketchup and Matter Control. There is a little weirdness in the design that I quite frankly don't know how it got there.

Any advice or input helps.

You may want to change the scale. It's a large "box" that I'm trying to build (>12" high). However, adjustments to the scale don't seem to change anything.
Attachments
august 8v2.stl
(13.36 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi Jeff, the reason that happens is because the model is not a solid. It has open faces.
The "red" is what was missing.
solid.jpg

Here, see if it works now.
Fixed_august 8v2.stl
(70.88 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Martín S.
AZjeff
Plasticator

Post by AZjeff »

Thanks for that. Just got home, so I'll give it a go in a bit and I'll let you know how that helps. I'm guessing it happened with the push/pull function and multiple changes I made, but my question is this:

How does the lack of side walls translate into printing over the holes? Can you (or anyone else) explain why that happens? I mean, when it's printing the surface over the hole, it seems as if that's what it's supposed to do!
AZjeff
Plasticator

Post by AZjeff »

So I'm curious about something in matter control that relates to my issue. Does the shade of the color mean anything? some of the faces are a darker blue than others. I haven't started on the next print, but I'm curious if that means anything. Tired of wasting plastic on errors.
AZjeff
Plasticator

Post by AZjeff »

OK, so just by the outline, I can see that it's not going to print what I "designed". I've attached a photo of what started printing as well as the .stl.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with sketchup, but this should be one piece. It's as it it's only doing the walls, and not the base. Help!!

*EDIT* My problem is a design problem. I don't know sketchup. So I bought a book! The push/pull function isn't really a true "extrude". Actually, having perused the manual a bit, I'm coming to the conclusion that sketchup just sucks. Thanks for the help on the prior issues.
Attachments
2 open face 8.14.stl
what i'm trying to print
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
what started printing
what started printing

Return to “Troubleshooting”