Rostock Max V2 power off by itself

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
D-G-C
Plasticator

Rostock Max V2 power off by itself

Post by D-G-C »

I did assemble the Rostock following the instruction and everything went fine. I stated the first print, the PEEK fan shroud and it started as expected. I use Repetier-Host V1.5.6 and my computer is via USB cable connected with the Rostock. After some time the power went off. Nothing was running or a LED was on and I thing also the PSU fan was off.
My first idea was this could be a thermal problem and I took away the side walls and the acrylic as well. The print went through.
To figure out what is the problem I did following test.

1. I inserted a temperature sensor near the PSU. I started a print and at 30°C the power off.
2. I removed the side wall but kept the acrylic on. I started a print and at 31°C power off.
3. Removed the Rambo from the Rostock and closed the hole as good as possible. I started a print. It needed long time to heat up 30°C and was still running.
4. With a hair dryer I headed the space inside where the PSU is up to 36°C. Still running.
5. Heated up the Rambo. Still running.
6. The print was still going on and the temperature inside was still decreasing and the power turned off.

In the LOG file I found
N28190 G1 X13.989 Y18.534 F12000 *95
Printer reset detected - initalizing
start

I have no idea where the printer reset came come from or what the root for it is.

The test didnät show a coreelation between temperature and the power off. I thought if is a EMC problem that some unwanted spike triggered the power off.

Has someone an idea what the problem is?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock Max V2 power off by itself

Post by Jimustanguitar »

If the PSU fan was off, that means that the PSU was off. The Rambo has no control over this, it's controlled solely by the green and black wires on your power switch.

Check the connections at the switch, and (unfortunately) wait for it to happen again. When the power's dead again, check the voltage across the yellow and black wires to see if the PSU is outputting anything... I think that will tell the tale.
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

The cable on the power switch are ok.
After the power turned off I checked power supply cable and every cable had 0V.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

D-G-C wrote:The cable on the power switch are ok.
After the power turned off I checked power supply cable and every cable had 0V.
I had that same issue when I first built the printer. SeeMeCNC sent a new power supply. It was suggested that I pre-heat the bed first before heating the hotend. Something about over current protection might be shutting it down.

Heating one at a time did help until I installed the new supply. Didn't have any issues after that.
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

Ok. Than I should contact SeeMeCNC.

My work around is to remove the side walls and the acrylic.
I also thought about to make a hole in one ore both side walls and add fans but my test with the hair dryer didn't show in this direction.
Holy1
Printmaster!

Post by Holy1 »

I had the same problem. They would not send me a new power supply so I bought a new one and it has been ok. I still leave the covers off anyway.
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

Thank all of you for your help. I will see if I get a new one or I have to buy it. I am waiting for an answer from my distributor.

I am not sure will the fans on the side walls help me if we get 40°C during summer. Maybe I give it a try and in worst case I have to change the PSU.
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

I got the new PSU direct from SeeMe. Thank you.

Now I have to implement the new one and hope my problem will be solved.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

D-G-C wrote:I got the new PSU direct from SeeMe. Thank you.

Now I have to implement the new one and hope my problem will be solved.
Please let us know if the new PSU solved the problem.
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

Sorry, for my late replay but I couldn't find the time to do something with the printer.

I did some printing and it was going through. It looks like the problem is solved.
Thank you for your support and the new PSU.

Return to “Troubleshooting”