Strange Lulzbot TAZ 3 Behavior

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
TFMike
Printmaster!

Strange Lulzbot TAZ 3 Behavior

Post by TFMike »

Hello everyone, I have a taz 3 with a budaschnozzle 2.0 that I custom cut some extra nozzles for out of M10 capnuts. I have a 1.0mm, a 1.4mm and a 2.0mm nozzle that I used from time to time to print giant parts with no detail. Lately I have had a few issues, and they are as follows:

1. When I went to add a Layer fan I initially tried using a 24v squirrel cage fan, but it never spun even once. I replaced it with a 12v silenx fan and it has been fine since. (Lulzbot power supply has a 24v sticker on it FWIW)

2. I have been using the giant nozzle setup for the last 6 months and haven't had any problems with the hotend staying up to temperature until last night when I had it set for 235 and it barely stayed at 220. My initial thoughts were either too quick of flow rate for the PLA I am using (though I have used the exact brand before at faster printing speeds with no issues) OR that the heating resistor was dying. I guess I could simply swap out for a 24v heater cartridge but then I am wondering why the 12v fan works and the 24v one didn't?

If anyone has any idea as to how to solve this or what I may be doing wrong, or if it is really bad for me to have 12v fan on this setup please let me know. Thanks.

PS
Taz uses the same board as the RMax V2 and the Orion.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Re: Strange Lulzbot TAZ 3 Behavior

Post by TFMike »

So just turned the fan down in the LCD from 255 to 128, that fixed it. Oops

Yesterday though I did have the powersupply over heat and shut everything down mid print. I turned it on ten minutes later with no issues since. Any idea as to why?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Strange Lulzbot TAZ 3 Behavior

Post by Eaglezsoar »

TFMike wrote:So just turned the fan down in the LCD from 255 to 128, that fixed it. Oops

Yesterday though I did have the powersupply over heat and shut everything down mid print. I turned it on ten minutes later with no issues since. Any idea as to why?
It is probably the first indicator that some component of the power supply is beginning to fail. You may want to save to buy a spare.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “Troubleshooting”