Calibration Fail - move out of plane/uneven - new Rostock V2

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
glassrod85
Prints-a-lot

Calibration Fail - move out of plane/uneven - new Rostock V2

Post by glassrod85 »

I finally got the mechanical build of my stock Rostock Max V2 completed! Purchased in Dec'15 (delayed build)

Temperature controls working and homing working. Getting pretty excited now!

Ran into an issue on the axis movement calibration step though. When moving in the z-axis plane the hot-end meanders off-center. In other words the Z-axis travels further than the x and y components. Nothing seems to be binding/grinding. Individual movements of other axis seem fine.

Here is the result after issuing (home) then twice (Z-) [100mm] commands in Matter Control.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/T94IJDZ.jpg?1[/img]
Something interesting to note: issuing a (Z-) followed by a (Z+) command doesn't undo the "damage" Seems to move only vertically in the upward direction. Afterwards a (home) command will only move the X/Y to return back to center.

Any suggestions?

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the stepper motor connections on the rambo (all original/unmodified connectors) after reading http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,384890" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but that didn't improve things. Don't want to remake connections if I'm barking up the wrong troubleshooting tree.

Next step for me is to start measuring travel distances of each carriage upon command to try and see which is problematic.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Calibration Fail - move out of plane/uneven - new Rostoc

Post by Polygonhell »

you're clearly missing steps on 2 of the axis, it could be mechanical, I assume you've tried moving the carriages by hand.
The other thing to check is that the Motor current is set correctly for the steppers you have in the Firmware, the stepper supplier changed at some point, and depending on the stepper, they require different settings.
Noise on the endstop lines could do it, I assume they were routed away from the motor lines.
As could bad motor wiring, but you can usually hear that, the motors tend to "jitter" if one of the connections is bad.
glassrod85
Prints-a-lot

Post by glassrod85 »

Ooh, thanks! I just tested by hand, at slow speed everything moves fine manually on all axis. At fast movements I get a stutter in the carriage for x and y, z moves up and down smoothly. Not sure how to fix this yet but probably my issue.

I did have to change the motor current as instructed since I have automated technology moters. relevant config below:

// Motor Current setting (Only functional when motor driver current ref pins are connected to a digital trimpot on supported boards)
#if MOTHERBOARD==301
#define MOTOR_CURRENT {150,150,150,130,0} // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A) use 140 for xyz and 130 for the E if using Kysan motors and 175 xyz and 200 if using wantai motors
#elif MOTHERBOARD==12
#define MOTOR_CURRENT {35713,35713,35713,35713,35713} // Values 0-65535 (3D Master 35713 = ~1A)
#endif
glassrod85
Prints-a-lot

Post by glassrod85 »

Hmm, i fixed the stutter/skipping steps by redoing the belt tensioning on x and y. Everything moves smoothly manually with no noises and similar resistance now on all axis.

Still the same behavior upon command.

let me try belt tensioning on z - maybe its an issue even without audible.
glassrod85
Prints-a-lot

Post by glassrod85 »

FRACK! anyone else see the likely issue in the z-axis? was having binding issues on z when operating manually after retensioning.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wSZigci.jpg?1[/img]
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Why are the wires pulled through that hole? They should be pulled through the oblong one right below the end of the extrusion so they dont catch on the belt. Also the pulley on that stepper seems to be backwards, thinner part should face out? At least thats how they have been on older machines.
glassrod85
Prints-a-lot

Post by glassrod85 »

yep the drive gear on the stepper is definitely backwards. no idea how i missed that when constructing three identical parts. was a jerk to get back off with thread-lok - even stripped one of my hex wrenches but thankfully i had two sets (not a metric/sae thing).

the wiring isn't rubbing on anything but will be rerouting it as well. i even reviewed the manual and had pictures for guidance.

mistakes will happen I suppose.
glassrod85
Prints-a-lot

Post by glassrod85 »

Well that did the trick! back to z0 setting and calibration!
Thanks for the help guys - i have a feeling this printer will be a good lesson in humility.

Return to “Troubleshooting”