Layer fan holders not lining up on stock hot end

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Layer fan holders not lining up on stock hot end

Post by jasonwebb »

When I first assembled my Rostock v2 a couple months ago I used the E3D v6 hotend. However, right now that hotend is down maintenance, so I decided to swap in my original stock hotend for now. But it looks like the nozzle extends a bit further than the E3D's and my layer fans are now blowing onto the nozzle, causing the temp to drop by about 10C.

I used the layer fan holders from the official user's manual. Is there another design that I should be using when using the stock hotend? Or something from the assembly guide that I missed?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/XTN5hcF.jpg[/img]
joe
Printmaster!

Re: Layer fan holders not lining up on stock hot end

Post by joe »

I would say those are the wrong fan holders. Perhaps for the older effector.
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Post by jasonwebb »

I figured, but where can I get the right ones?

These are the fan holders that are linked to in the official Rostock v2 user's manual, so I'm not really sure where else to go to find the newest official design.

The manual links to these, which say "Old Hot End Layer Fan Shroud New Platform 2015", and are tagged with "BallSocket". I do know that there were some improvements made this year to the arms and carriages (amongst others), but kind of expected the manual to be up-to-date.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I have a sneaking suspicion that the platform is upside down, and that's the problem as if I recall correctly, the tabs aren't perfectly vertically centered. Also, if you were to take a small amount of aluminized duct tape (The metal stuff, that is actual duct tape rather than duck) and cover the tips of them as well as the small lip, it should direct air downwards just fine.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Post by jasonwebb »

I thought so too at first, but I'm reviewing the assembly manual and the checkpoint videos (like #17) and my platform is oriented correctly, with the ball joints facing down and the fan tabs flush with the underside of the platform (their lowest spot).

I could probably hack together a solution using a custom hotend mount to raise the whole thing up a bit more, but I'd like to figure out if I did in fact assemble it wrong somehow. And if there is a flaw in the official build instructions using the stock parts then it would probably be good to get this figured out.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/eEJyDhL.jpg[/img]

Return to “Troubleshooting”