Y axis belt rubbing against wood plate, fraying?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Y axis belt rubbing against wood plate, fraying?

Post by jasonwebb »

Right after I finished my last print (a simple Expo marker holder, which printed perfectly), my Y axis was having a really hard time returning to it's endstop. I shut off my printer, let things cool and then tried to manually move my Y axis carriage up and down.

When pushing the carriage upwards I feel considerable resistance, which I also feel to a lesser extent going downwards. I can visibly see the belt fraying and rubbing against the wood plate that is the top of the base. I can also see the belt twisting slightly.

It's a bit hard to see the idler bearings since it is all hidden inside the tower / stepper assembly, behind the tower beam, but when I feel around I actually don't feel anything different than on the other axes! Clearly something is misaligned, but I'm having some trouble pinpointing what.

I slightly loosened the bolts holding the two idler bearings together, hoping that the extra "play" would allow the belt to self-align, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

I can easily replace the belt, but I'm concerned that it'll just get frayed again right away unless I figure out what is causing this issue. Anybody have some ideas about what this might be a symptom of? Could the tower be so far out of alignment all of the sudden that the belt now doesn't line up with the idler assembly?

Here's a quick video of the symptoms: https://vid.me/4jX8
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Y axis belt rubbing against wood plate, fraying?

Post by KAS »

Are you able to look at the pulley to see if it's offset or backwards?
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Post by jasonwebb »

Ah, it does look a little bit more offset than the other axes. Is there any way to adjust the pulley without disassembling the entire printer? It took so long to calibrate...
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

It's not the easiest thing to do, but yes you can remove or adjust the pulley without disassembling the base.

This should help locate the setscrews from the outside.
[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr18 ... 201501.jpg[/img]
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Post by jasonwebb »

I'll keep trying, but unfortunately it looks like I don't own any Allen keys long enough to reach the pulley. Short by a couple millimeters.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

You might be able to loosen the belt and unscrew the stepper motor and pull it out.
jasonwebb
Plasticator

Post by jasonwebb »

Yes! The belt had to be replaced anyway, so I was able to pop out the motor and take a closer look. The pulley was a little loose on the shaft, so I think the grub screw may have just jiggle loose or hadn't been perfectly tightened to begin with. I moved it back into position, gave the grub screw some more threadlock and tightened it down again.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Troubleshooting”