HE280 Firmware Problem

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

HE280 Firmware Problem

Post by nitewatchman »

Completed the HE280 Hardware upgrade to my V2 this weekend and assembly wiring, etc. seemed to go okay. When the firmware was updated the printed displayed the "splash" or startup screen and then after a pause of several seconds displayed gibberish. Cleared the EEProm and reloaded, same result.

Checked wiring, plug connections, etc. and did not find a problem. Restored Firmware back to 0.91 and everything works (except autocalibrate of course). Fans work, hot end heats, lights lite, axes move. Temperature of Hot End was off significantly but the 0.91 configuration was for an E3D Hot End with its unique Thermistor.

Loaded the firmware update and received the same result. Noticed at that point that the .INO file had a note after it, "JUNK" and was revised 4 days ago by johnoly99. Is this a rhetorical remark OR does this imply that there is an issue with the Repetier.ino file.

Would really like to get the printer up with the autocalibrate.

Also receiver a warning that there was only 870B of space left memory, is this consistent with successful firmware loads.

Gary
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: HE280 Firmware Problem

Post by mhackney »

There is another gent who has a similar problem in the last several days. He has diagnosed that if the I2C connector is unplugged at the RAMBo end, the new firmware does upload properly. Perhaps there is an issue with a batch of boards OR there is something you guys are both doing consistently in your wiring?

The memory message is normal for this modified firmware.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Flipped Green and White wires to Thermistor, problem solved.

Gary
Idea Beans
Plasticator

Post by Idea Beans »

mhackney wrote:There is another gent who has a similar problem in the last several days. He has diagnosed that if the I2C connector is unplugged at the RAMBo end, the new firmware does upload properly. Perhaps there is an issue with a batch of boards OR there is something you guys are both doing consistently in your wiring?

The memory message is normal for this modified firmware.
I just upgraded 2 of my RMv2. The first one went well - no problem uploading firmware or calibrating whatsoever. (here's the link to view the calibration video: https://www.facebook.com/IdeaBeansNZ/vi ... 170480614/)

The 2nd one ran into some problem and it's exactly as how you described. When the I2C connector was plugged in, the firmware wouldn't load properly. It hangs at the welcome screen. If I unplugged the I2C connector on the Rambo board, the LCD display the status. Also, I noticed that on the hotend board there's a red light next to the layer fan plug, which I didn't see on the first RMv2 I upgraded successfully. When it was doing the auto calibration, only 2 blue lights were lit and the layer fans weren't running...
Bad RMv2.jpg
What should I do to solve the problem??? I have submitted a ticket via SeeMeCNC website. The sooner I can find the solution the better, otherwise I'll have many sleepless nights!

Thanks
Sarah
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

There are only 2 blue LEDs that are always on, that's good. There are 2 red LEDS. One indicates the heat break fan and is always on, the other is for the part cooling fan and is controlled by gcode. I recall that these LEDs are next to the associated fan connectors. Since your red LED next to the layer fan is lit, you might have a wiring problem. Triple check all the connections at the HE280 and on the RAMBo.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Idea Beans
Plasticator

Post by Idea Beans »

Thanks I'll check the wiring again.

When the I2C connector was unplugged the red LED was off too, so there must be something wrong somewhere along that connection?!
Idea Beans
Plasticator

Post by Idea Beans »

I checked and checked the wiring but couldn't find anything wrong.

I tried 2 things that would result in the LCD displaying the printer status fine but by no means it had solved the problem...

(1) when the I2C connector was unplugged from the Rambo board, the red LED was Off and the screen could load the firmware and show NOZ/BED temps.

(2) when the layer fan connector was unplugged right next to the red LED, the screen loaded firmware fine but the red LED was still on.

I have no idea what that meant but today I'm going to try and connect this entire HE280 hotend to my other RMv2 and see how that goes.
Idea Beans
Plasticator

Post by Idea Beans »

Just plugged in the HE280 hotend to the first RMv2 that worked. The 2 blue LEDs were on and the firmware loaded fine.

I guess there's something wrong with the other RMv2 printer on the Rambo board?
image.jpeg
The printer that was upgraded successfully is an older model, pre April 2015. The printer that's having firmware loading issue is a new model, post Nov 2015. I wonder if there's a difference between the Rambo boards?!

Any advice? Thanks
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Could be, the version info is silk screened on the board I believe.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Idea Beans
Plasticator

Post by Idea Beans »

Haven't quite solved the issue yet... I found it odd that when the I2S connector was plugged in, the 3 layer fans were all going...

Will check the wiring again tonight, but it that doesn't shed any light I don't know what else I can do to fix this printer. Maybe have to revert back to the old hotend!
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

I'd verify the wiring harness was assembled correctly. Since you have two of them, and one is known working, that should be fairly easy to do. Same color wires to same pin positions in same connectors, etc.
Idea Beans
Plasticator

Post by Idea Beans »

Hi thanks for all your help. Now that I have eliminated all the other possible causes to the problem, it's coming back to the wiring that I had done since the initial assembly.

The I2C black wire was connected to the orange wire on the whip, and the Fan 0- black wire was connected to the black wire on the whip, hence the crossover.

I may have labelled them incorrectly since I assembled the V2 from way back so I have confused myself big time!!! Luckily I didn't burn the printer down because of the mistake.....

https://www.facebook.com/IdeaBeansNZ/vi ... 703442394/

Thanks for all your help tho. It's great to have a place to seek advice and answers to my Rostock problems!

Have a great day!!

Sarah
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Great to hear. It did sound like a wiring issue. Glad no damage was done.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Troubleshooting”