HE280 with ramps

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
BrianC
Plasticator

HE280 with ramps

Post by BrianC »

My rambo board blew a driver a while ago so I replaced it with a ramps board due to the price and ability to swap driver chips if needed. Now I have upgraded to a HE280 hotend with the accelerometer and have gotten stuck during the firmware update. The ramps has an i2c and PS_On pin so I was able to wire it up. Has anyone had any experience with getting the new hotend to work on a ramps board?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: HE280 with ramps

Post by mhackney »

I would guess not. If you have it hooked up, load the repetier fork from SeeMeCNC, change the board type and anything else required to support your board (like the in assignment for PS_ON) and try it out.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

It should be fairly easy. The issue is figuring out which pins are used. I think an Atmega might hVe more than one set of i2c pins and the pson pin might be different, you should be able to chAnge them in the firmware.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

You mean "got stuck" do you mean "doesn't work" or "won't compile"??
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

What mhackney said. The new HE280 zprobe stuff only exists in the Seeme branch of the firmware at this time. At the same time, Seeme has assumed their branch is used solely with their products (using Rambo or Mini-Rambo boards) when making changes, so there may be things that you need to fix just to get it to compile.

I haven't tried it, but if you're really lucky this is all you need:

configuration.h:
set MOTHERBOARD for the ramps board
find Z_PROBE_PIN, and make sure it's set to the ramps pin you're using for PS_ON

pins.h:
make sure ORIG_PS_ON_PIN is set to -1 for the ramps board to disable the old PS_ON functionality.
camblonie
Noob

Post by camblonie »

Any update on the project? I'm using a RAMPS board and would really like to do the accelerometer upgrade. Anyone else have good luck with this?
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

I've also tried getting a Ramps going with a SeemeCNC Rostock. I halted at needing multiple fan controls. I actually made up a simple on/off fan control board that I'll hook upto the servo pins (+ the 12V pin used for the board fan).

I guess people didn't use multiple fans back in the days of using the Ramps because the hotends didn't need fans themselves.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

adarcher wrote:I've also tried getting a Ramps going with a SeemeCNC Rostock. I halted at needing multiple fan controls. I actually made up a simple on/off fan control board that I'll hook upto the servo pins (+ the 12V pin used for the board fan).

I guess people didn't use multiple fans back in the days of using the Ramps because the hotends didn't need fans themselves.
Just wire the hotend fan directly to 12V, it needs to be always on.
Early V1 RMax's didn't have a hotend fan. One of the early repetier builds added the ability to have a fan that ran only when the hotend heater was on or the hotend was >50C, prior to that all rostocks used always on for the hotend fan.
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

Polygonhell wrote:
adarcher wrote:I've also tried getting a Ramps going with a SeemeCNC Rostock. I halted at needing multiple fan controls. I actually made up a simple on/off fan control board that I'll hook upto the servo pins (+ the 12V pin used for the board fan).

Just wire the hotend fan directly to 12V, it needs to be always on.
Early V1 RMax's didn't have a hotend fan. One of the early repetier builds added the ability to have a fan that ran only when the hotend heater was on or the hotend was >50C, prior to that all rostocks used always on for the hotend fan.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of "always on" since often the machine is sitting there on but not running. No need to cool the hotend if it's not hot right?
camblonie
Noob

Post by camblonie »

I'm running RAMPS with a E3D type hotend so I set the fans to come on at 50+. See here if youre interested:
https://forums.matterhackers.com/topic/ ... d-it-run/3
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

camblonie wrote:I'm running RAMPS with a E3D type hotend so I set the fans to come on at 50+. See here if youre interested:
https://forums.matterhackers.com/topic/ ... d-it-run/3
Looks like you used one of the 3 pwm controlled power outs (seeing the D9 reference). I would rather use that for the layer fan so I can have that go up and down when needed. The hot end just needs an on/off switch, which I don't see readily available on the ramps board.

My plan was:
D8 bed
D9 hotend
D10 layer fan
12v aux for board fan + going to a some kinda switch with one of the servo pins (haven't finalized it yet) for the hot end fan

Am I missing a 4th 12v output controlled pins? Would love to know about it since I'm not an expert with the ramps by any means.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

No, there are only 3 mosfets on the standard ramps board.

But adding more is easy enough, using the servo pins or any other unused pin on the aux connectors. Search for "mosfet module" on ebay. They'll be under $1 shipped from some of the chinese sources, if you're willing to wait for delivery. If you want it faster, identical chinese stuff from a US reseller will be about $5+, after shipping.

If you really just want a on/off switch function, search for "relay module" instead. China/US pricing for the single-relay modules will be about the same as mosfet modules. Nice thing about relays is they can be used to control a much wider range of things. 110V AC lighting, for instance.

Return to “Troubleshooting”