New v3 kit can't get PSu or rambo to power om

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
dsl158
Printmaster!

New v3 kit can't get PSu or rambo to power om

Post by dsl158 »

I've got everything plugged correctly but for some reason nothing is powering on.
Eric
Printmaster!

Re: New v3 kit can't get PSu or rambo to power om

Post by Eric »

dsl158 wrote:I've got everything plugged correctly but for some reason nothing is powering on.
You aren't giving us much information to work with. Start by plugging something else into the wall outlet, just to prove that it's working.

Then get out your meter and start testing things. Are the AC input wires at the power supply live with the switch on? If not, check to see if the switch works. Or that the cord itself is bad, by metering each prong of the plug with the wire at the other end. Is the voltage selector switch on the power supply set correctly?

If the AC is good, is there 12V DC output at the power supply? If not, disconnect all the +12V wires. If the power supply works after that, that points toward a short circuit in your DC wiring. If it still doesn't work, then you're probably looking at a bad power supply.

Make sure you unplug whenever you're connecting or disconnecting things between tests.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Eric wrote:
dsl158 wrote:I've got everything plugged correctly but for some reason nothing is powering on.
You aren't giving us much information to work with. Start by plugging something else into the wall outlet, just to prove that it's working.

Then get out your meter and start testing things. Are the AC input wires at the power supply live with the switch on? If not, check to see if the switch works. Or that the cord itself is bad, by metering each prong of the plug with the wire at the other end. Is the voltage selector switch on the power supply set correctly?

If the AC is good, is there 12V DC output at the power supply? If not, disconnect all the +12V wires. If the power supply works after that, that points toward a short circuit in your DC wiring. If it still doesn't work, then you're probably looking at a bad power supply.

Make sure you unplug whenever you're connecting or disconnecting things between tests.
Yeah Im sorry about the lack of information. It was very late. I was gonna use my multi mete but it ran out of batteries and I had no replacements. When I get home Im gonna go get some batteries and try and see if the psu is outputting power.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Ok it turns out I did a dumb. The switch for the psu to change between 110 and 220 volts wasnt all the way to 110. Major facepalm.
rurwin
Printmaster!

Post by rurwin »

Be grateful your mistake was in that direction.

Funny story at a previous company I worked for.

The service manager was building a PC with our SCADA software on for a customer. This was a real IBM AT computer with all the software on 5.25" floppy disks. He spent all morning loading DOS and then our software and putting our bespoke hardware in.

Then he was heard to say, "what voltage is this supposed to be? 110V, right."

click. BANG. He hadn't unplugged it first. Start again with a new PC.

Return to “Troubleshooting”