Octopi and remote connection

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
duvdev
Printmaster!

Octopi and remote connection

Post by duvdev »

Hi all

So I installed the octoprint on my pi3 connected to the printer and a USB camera.
but I need to know:

1. can I connect to it from my mobile phone? how? do I have to get a static IP?
2 I saw that there is a plugin to calibrate the printer ( I have a V2 upgraded with calibration board ) how can I install it?

thanks a lot.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: Octopi and remote connection

Post by pouncingiguana »

You can connect from your phone, but if you're not on your own network, you'll need to setup your router to pass the traffic through to the PI. A static IP helps with this, but you could also use a service like dyn.com to have a domain name with a low refresh time to keep track of a changing IP address.
rurwin
Printmaster!

Post by rurwin »

I'm not sure which IP address you are talking about.

If you want to connect to your printer while your phone is connected to your WiFi then it might work immediately just by giving it the Pi's name. Mine is "octopi.local" for example. An iPhone is more likely to work than Android, but try it first. A Windows PC won't work unless you first install Apple printer sharing or something. Check google for "Bonjour/Avahi". Otherwise you'll need the Pi to have a static IP address on your network. The best way to do that is by doing it on your router. If you end up doing it on the Pi be aware that it changed relatively recently so be sure that the tutorial you use makes the change using dhcpd.

If you want to watch the printer while you are outside your WiFi, then you need a static address for your Pi and to tell your router to pass HTTP data through to the Pi. This is a security hole; now all the hackers in the world can try to find exploitable vulnerabilities in your Pi's web server. If they find one then they are inside your network and can attack any other machines on the WiFi. I would not recommend it unless you know what you are getting into. You will also need a static IP address for your internet connection or a dynamic IP solution from a third party so you can give the right address to your phone.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

This is what .htaccess is for.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Troubleshooting”