GCODE entry

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

GCODE entry

Post by cyber.shifter »

So, I'm doing a feedrate/flowrate test from @mhackney 's guide for successful prints and I'm profiling a new filament. I know the GCODE to enter to manually extrude at certain feedrate, etc. However, the machine will never take two commands back to back. I'll enter it once, let it do it's thing, change the temp, and attempt to do it again. But the machine does nothing. This happens both in MatterControl and in Repetier-Host. Has anyone else experienced this before?
--nil volentibus arduum
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Re: GCODE entry

Post by Glacian22 »

My guess is you're probably in absolute extrusion mode instead of relative. So if you tell it to extrude 3mm, it'll do it, and then when you send the same command again, the printer says it's already at 3mm of extrusion, nothing to do. You'd have to say extrude 6mm to get another 3mm. Or go to relative extrusion. G91 for relative position of everything in most firmwares, though reprapfirmware apparently requires M83 for relative extrusion.
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Post by cyber.shifter »

Ah ha! Yes, I was doing G1 E5 F60, and from what I've read, the G1 command is absolute movement. Ok. I'll have to look further into this! Thanks a lot!
--nil volentibus arduum
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

G1 doesn't specify absolute or relative. That is controlled by the mode the printer is in when the command is passed.
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Post by cyber.shifter »

Oh. Really? Ok, I misread. So how is that set in the machine?
--nil volentibus arduum
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

M82 sets extruder to absolute. M83 sets it to relative.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Sorry about that, I'm preparing an update with example code that sets the M83 so you are doing relative extrusion moves.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Post by cyber.shifter »

So I can just send M83 first, and then do my tests? I take it that I should probably set it back to absolute before I go back to printing?
--nil volentibus arduum
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Post by cyber.shifter »

mhackney wrote:Sorry about that, I'm preparing an update with example code that sets the M83 so you are doing relative extrusion moves.
Are you going to mention that those tasks can be most easily achieved by manually inputting the GCODE into the host? I think it would be good to mention since that's the simplest way to accomplish it. If you already stated that, I apologize as I did not notice.
--nil volentibus arduum
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

That should work.

Actually, you can print in either mode, provided you (or the start gcode generated by your slicer) set(s) the appropriate mode for the setting you're using in the slicer.

Return to “Troubleshooting”