blobs on direction change

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
dylantep
Printmaster!

blobs on direction change

Post by dylantep »

I'm using simplify3D and I've noticed that during solid infill when I change directions a large blob is made. I think this is a slicing issue because when it happens I watch the gear on the extruder jump forward. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Picture: https://goo.gl/photos/V8wEdXVp6wUZoLpKA
thingismith
Printmaster!

Re: blobs on direction change

Post by thingismith »

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. It could be your settings for extra restart distance and retraction vertical lift in the extruder tab... Maybe run a test halving the values for those settings. Is it like that anywhere else, or just in that one place?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Does S3D have a setting like other slicers call Pressure Advance or Elasticity Compensation that tweaks the extruded volume up or down as speed changes? You could have an extremely inappropriate setting for that parameter, perhaps.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Could be in your coast, wipe, and/or outline overlap %.

Attached a copy of your FFF file, I'll compare it to mine.
dylantep
Printmaster!

Post by dylantep »

The forum wont let me attach .fff
I am using a 0.8 nozzle which is why the blobs are so extreme, but I see this a effect with a 0.4 nozzle as well

My extra restart is -0.02, coasting is 0.05, and infill overlap is 15%

S3D does not have any pressure advanced setting that I know of.

Its strange because it happens on the direction change in solid infill so I don't think it has to do with retraction.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

The nozzle diameter doesn't effect the volume of plastic that the machine is extruding, the extrusion width and layer height do.

Regardless of the setting that's to blame, it's because you're extruding more plastic than will "fit". I'd measure a thin wall calibration cube to check your extrusion steps per mm and multiplier. I think that'll tell the tale. It could also be an "extra extrude on restart" setting or something like that.
dylantep
Printmaster!

Post by dylantep »

I don't think its steps/mm or multiplier because the center looks fine. I also don't think its extra extrude on restart as thats currently set negative and the problem is happening in a place where there should't be a retraction. I think it may be a problem with S3D as I can watch the extruder gear jump forward every time the blobs happen.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

With my .4mm nozzle, I have coast set to 1mm. ( see attached pic)

Don't run with Auto extrusion width, it's garbage. Calibrate with a thin-wall hallow cube and measure the wall thickness to adjust the extrusion multiplier.

Your .05 coast on a .8mm nozzle wont do much of anything. Also, again -.02 Extra Restart Distance is nothing on that size nozzle. ( also depends on your retract distance.)
What layer height are you printing at? It almost looks to squished for a .8 nozzle.

Coast is your pressure relief in S3D. If you have any back pressure with any bit of vertical lift, you'll see those extra blobs during lift movements.

I recommend taking it to the extremes with tons of coast and large retracts to see any differences. Don't mess with the extra restart distance until you tune the others in.
Coast further, retract more, and/or retract faster. Its just finding that combo that works to your expectations

FFF.png

Return to “Troubleshooting”