Temperature Calibration?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Tahazu Designs
Prints-a-lot

Temperature Calibration?

Post by Tahazu Designs »

I'm using a Rostock MAX V2

I just finished a 19hour print @ 228°. Everything went great. I attempted to run the second part and something strange happened. The hotend temp only climbed up to 218°. I figured the kp, ki, kd calibration somehow skewed off. So I ran the calibration command. I input the new parameters. I attempted to preheat the hotend to 228° again and the same thing happened. 218°! I then tried preheating to 218° to see if the 10° offset was consistent. Sure enough, the hotend only heated up to 208°.

Am I missing something? What else can I do to get this hotend to heat up to the target number?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Temperature Calibration?

Post by Mac The Knife »

Does the readout show the correct temperature and you are measuring the temperature at the nozzle and finding the 10 degree discrepancy?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Tahazu Designs
Prints-a-lot

Post by Tahazu Designs »

No. The temperature being displayed within Matter Control & the digital display on the machine is showing a 10° discrepancy.
thingismith
Printmaster!

Post by thingismith »

Tahazu Designs wrote:No. The temperature being displayed within Matter Control & the digital display on the machine is showing a 10° discrepancy.
Are you saying you're getting 2 different readings of actual temps, or that there's still a 10 deg difference between target and actual for mattercontrol and the display?
Tahazu Designs
Prints-a-lot

Post by Tahazu Designs »

I set it to preheat to 228° within Matter Control. The hotend will reach 118° and will not continue rising.

IF I set it to preheat to 118° within Matter Control, the hotend will only reach 108° and will not continue rising.

It seems to be a constant 10° difference below w/e the target temp is set to reach.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Have you looked at the gcode by chance? Just to make sure, it's not something goofy in Matter Control.

Can you pre-heat to expected temps via the LCD?

also, when the printer is cold. Does the heated bed and hotend roughly display the same temps?
thingismith
Printmaster!

Post by thingismith »

Maybe try upping your kp a bit (if autotune has it at ~20, bring it up to 25) and see if the problem persists. If this works, maybe try handtuning your PID, I recommend this guide http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 91#p104691

If you have an E3d v6, maybe upgrade to their new copper block...since I got mine, my temp holding has been awesome.
Tahazu Designs
Prints-a-lot

Post by Tahazu Designs »

Okay so, I noticed another element here.

If I heat up the hotend only, it'll reach temperature (228°). If I heat up both the bed and the hotend, I the temp wont reach target. It'll only go up to 118°. I didn't have this problem before... Would this be due to the power supply being insufficient?
Tahazu Designs
Prints-a-lot

Post by Tahazu Designs »

I gotta tell ya.... I freaking despise this machine. Ever since the 1st day I had it assembled I have had nothing but issues. In the past year, I've only been able to successfully print maybe 4 times. FOUR!! I'm irritated to the point where I'm about to throw this god damn thing in the trash and buy something else.
thingismith
Printmaster!

Post by thingismith »

I have a v2 as well, and am able to constantly print both bed and hotend at high temps (90 bed, 250 HE). Did you try my suggestion?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Tahazu Designs wrote:I gotta tell ya.... I freaking despise this machine. Ever since the 1st day I had it assembled I have had nothing but issues. In the past year, I've only been able to successfully print maybe 4 times. FOUR!! I'm irritated to the point where I'm about to throw this god damn thing in the trash and buy something else.

I would recommend ditching Mattercontrol before ditching the printer. Download and install Repetier instead. I tried mattercontrol when SeeMeCNC dropped Repetier and started pushing Mattercontrol. After the third update, which always seemed to fix one problem and create another, I went back to Repetier.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Also, a consistent (Or relatively consistent) temperature offset points at a bad PID tune. Most likely a bad I parameter.

If you're using the ATX (computer style if you're not familar) power supply, it may be a bad PSU, and seeme will likely replace it. If it's the rail type, I would adjust the voltage upwards to 13.5-14V, or else to a true loaded voltage of at least 12V. If it still doesn't work, contact Seeme for a replacement power supply. Note that you really should be using a multimeter for trouble shooting this. If you don't have one, the 30$ harbor freight works, although I heavily suggest one of the cheap Fluke DMMs such as the 115-B, 117, or one of the chinese models. Additional features such as PWM recognition while useful for this (To see if it's a PID or a voltage/heater issue), are expensive enough to be unlikely to be worth it unless you already own a meter with them.

If it's inconsistent, or there's a top temp you can reach, the heater resistors may be going bad. I would replace the resistors with a ceramic cartridge if you've got any machining experience (Enough to drill a hole and not break a tap. I did it with a hand drill and a wrench once, since I was too lazy to find a small enough tap handle and follower for the drill press). Note that hosts have no effect on temperatures, however, one such as repetier-host or Octoprint which show temperature graphs can help with the PID tuning process (autotune as done in Repetier firmware is rather error prone. Hand tunes or feed-forward models as found in recent Duet firmware are more stable, but take more experience to get working).
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Troubleshooting”