Rostock Max V1 latest and greatest FW for autoleveling

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
OiD
Plasticator

Rostock Max V1 latest and greatest FW for autoleveling

Post by OiD »

Hi again!

So I found out that the boroscilate glass bed is pretty uneven... I've spent over 9h calibrating the towers and horizontal_radius to achieve within 0.02mm between probes (used a brand name dial indicator) only to get +/-1mm between the highest and lowest point on the glass...

I built a contact style Z probe but I'm using Repetier 0.91 and while I've got it working to G30 and G29 I'm kind of stuck as to where to go now.

Any pointers as to what FW updates are available for the Rostock Max V1 and how to "use" the Autolevel and calibration process would be great.
I'm kind of getting buried in upgrading and repairing this printer. It prints but so many little issues to solve...

Thanks to all,

A guy running low on patience :lol:
Last edited by OiD on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OiD
Plasticator

Re: Rostock Max V1 latest and greates FW for autoleveling

Post by OiD »

Ok I've had 5 hotend crashes at full speed into the hotbed or towers... I never knew the arms could flex so much.

G29 works but the end result shoving the hotend into the bed on one side and floating it about6-8mm of the bed on the other side. Sometimes it just rams into whatever it chooses.

G32... loves the towers...

I've made my way through every electrical, electronic, mechanical and coding issues with little effort... but this I just don't have a clue what is happening...

How do I set the Z_probe height? What i measure and the difference in the Z position don't match.
Why does it ram the probe and hotend into the bed?
Why does it swing into the towers?

I fear something will break at this rate!

Edit: Since I got this result I can only print in the middle of the bed...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT3NbNkg4Y[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT3NbNkg4Y
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

There is no autolevel nor calibration in Repetier firmware as far as I know... It can probe using FSR's but I found that pretty useless without a auto calibration routine (although it takes the hassle out of using a dial indicator). I tried calibrating a V2 using a dial indicator as wel (digital is a lot easier!) and you can do that using this wizzard: http://www.escher3d.com/pages/wizards/wizarddelta.php but it takes a lot of time.

However I like to tinker a lot with my machine, and that leads to continuous re-calibration, and that is pretty tedious... So I bought a Duet (without display, there is really no need for that if you have your PC close to your printer like I have) and it automatically re-calibrates within 30 seconds ;-)

Also it helps to mark your glass somewhere on the edge, so that when you take it off you can reseat it in exactly the same position.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Ok, after some more crashes I think I might be onto something.

The Z-probe works fine (apparently with "G31 - Write signal of probe sensor" works, Low when there is no contact, High when there is contact)

G30 P0 works visually, probes the bed but Z always returns a value similar to the current Z height.
If I run G30 from height Z40, the probe descends, touches and returns to Z40 while the result is 40.03. Shouldn't the result be the Z height where the probe made contact?
I have the probe wired up to Z-min endstop (pin 10).

G29 also appears to work, but the results are terrible; a very inclined bed, floating hotend on one side, pushing into the opposite side.

M119 - Report end stop status only shows me X_max, Y_max and Z_max. There is no Z_min reported, should the Z_probe appear as Z_min?

I might have the configuration wrong or the invert/pull-up and the Normally Open/Closed Z-probe. Could this be the reason when running the Bed Height Map the hot end is shoved into the bed, expecting a Z min end stop?

Thanks for any input!
OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

DeltaCon wrote:There is no autolevel nor calibration in Repetier firmware as far as I know
According to the wiki "Repetier firmware since v0.91 supports G29 Auto Bed Leveling"
Regarding auto calibration I can't find a clear answer (horizontal_radius...)
DeltaCon wrote:continuous re-calibration, and that is pretty tedious... So I bought a Duet
Either my google-fu is weak or I'm doing something wrong. I can't even find a Duet on eBay. Where can I get more info on this controller?
DeltaCon wrote:Also it helps to mark your glass somewhere on the edge, so that when you take it off you can reseat it in exactly the same position.
Yeah, I regret not doing that... big time! I tried flipping the glass over to see if one side was flatter, but nope.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I am curious. You say your glass isn't flat, but not what you are comparing it with.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Mac The Knife wrote:I am curious. You say your glass isn't flat, but not what you are comparing it with.
Well, I'm assuming that since I got my end stops adjusted and measured the 3 towers and centre of the bed withing +-20um that the points between towers should also be at the same height if the glass has a flat surface.

I need to check that the floor is level, the furniture is level, the base is level, the top is level and that the bed is also level. I will also see if I can test for flatness of the glass but the diameter is pretty big.

I also previously checked with a level and it wobbled a tiny bit on the bed but I didn't take much notice as I do not know how flat the level is...
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I think you are right on the Repetier firmware, it does do some leveling, but certainly no calibration. And in my view levelling is not meaningfull if your calibration is off...

[quote="OiD"]Either my google-fu is weak or I'm doing something wrong. I can't even find a Duet on eBay. Where can I get more info on this controller?
https://www.filastruder.com/products/duet-wifi
This is the current version. I bought mine some time ago and it is a Duet 0.6 version, so older and therefore much cheaper (66GBP). This one is prety expensive, but you could be lucky to get a version 0.85 cheaper somewhere. Please read Michaels Blog about it on SublimeLayers.com first!
http://www.sublimelayers.com/search/label/Duet

Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

OiD wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:I am curious. You say your glass isn't flat, but not what you are comparing it with.
Well, I'm assuming that since I got my end stops adjusted and measured the 3 towers and centre of the bed withing +-20um that the points between towers should also be at the same height if the glass has a flat surface.

I need to check that the floor is level, the furniture is level, the base is level, the top is level and that the bed is also level. I will also see if I can test for flatness of the glass but the diameter is pretty big.

I also previously checked with a level and it wobbled a tiny bit on the bed but I didn't take much notice as I do not know how flat the level is...
It didn't sound like you put a straight edge to the glass. Tower Alpha angles will cause high/low spots between towers. By default they are set at 210, 330, and 90 degrees.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Mac The Knife wrote:It didn't sound like you put a straight edge to the glass. Tower Alpha angles will cause high/low spots between towers. By default they are set at 210, 330, and 90 degrees.
To me a straight edge is a level as I very rarely see them individually :lol:
Just checked the towes, all appear to be at 90º from the base and the same height.

I've changed the Z probe to Normally Closed instead of Normally Open and made the changes in the FW. Still not seeing z_min: show up when sending M119 -> x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L
Hot end still does not stop when attempting Tools -> Bed Height Map :cry:

Can I install Repetier 0.92.2 to my MAX v1? I'm currently running 0.91.5 from v2. All I'd need would be the correct EEPROM parameters after upgrading, right?

Thanks for your input :)
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I missed the part where you used a level. However, have you checked out this thread? http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?t=4868
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

OiD wrote:I've changed the Z probe to Normally Closed instead of Normally Open and made the changes in the FW. Still not seeing z_min: show up when sending M119 -> x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L
Changing open/closed does not affect anything, it just changes the way something is detected. You only have 3 endstops, the probe is a probe, not an endstop. It will not be shown by M119. If probing works (without pushing the hotend through the bed...) it is okay
OiD wrote:Can I install Repetier 0.92.2 to my MAX v1?[/b] I'm currently running 0.91.5 from v2. All I'd need would be the correct EEPROM parameters after upgrading, right?
Yes you can, taking note of the EEPROM settings is very wise indeed. But even wiser is keeping the old firmware file at hand. There are a lot of firmware settings that do not show up as EEPROM values. Being able to compare the new with the old file is very useful in my experience. One of the stinky changes in version 0.92 is that at some point they defined the motorcurrent values in percentage instead of a 1-255 value. You can imagine what that does to your stepperdrivers on the board. They get incredibly hot and start failing. I know from experience... :lol:

OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Mac The Knife wrote:I missed the part where you used a level. However, have you checked out this thread? http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?t=4868
I've had a look at these threads for a bit. Quite a bit to go over.
DeltaCon wrote:One of the stinky changes in version 0.92 is that at some point they defined the motorcurrent values in percentage instead of a 1-255 value
Sounds nasty! From what I've seen so far 92.2 uses 0-255.

I've spent all day trying to get the Z_probe working in 92.2 but when I enable the probe from the FW I get compilation errors. Here is the error.

Code: Select all

C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Printer.cpp: In static member function 'static float Printer::runZProbe(bool, bool, uint8_t, bool)':
C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Printer.cpp:1441:80: error: call of overloaded 'printF(const char [], double)' is ambiguous
     Com::printF(Com::tZProbeSteps,(distance * 80) - (Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE * 80));
                                                                                ^
C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Printer.cpp:1441:80: note: candidates are:
In file included from C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Repetier.h:361:0,
                 from C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Printer.cpp:19:
C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Communication.h:398:13: note: static void Com::printF(const char*, int)
 static void printF(FSTRINGPARAM(text),int value);
             ^
C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Communication.h:400:13: note: static void Com::printF(const char*, int32_t)
 static void printF(FSTRINGPARAM(text),int32_t value);
             ^
C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Communication.h:401:13: note: static void Com::printF(const char*, uint32_t)
 static void printF(FSTRINGPARAM(text),uint32_t value);
             ^
C:\Users\OiD-W\AppData\Local\Temp\build2114105621552399953.tmp\Communication.h:402:13: note: static void Com::printF(const char*, float, uint8_t)
 static void printF(FSTRINGPARAM(text),float value,uint8_t digits=2);
             ^
Error compiling.
It looks to me that part of the program is sending to many variables into the function. An int, int32, uint32 or a float...
This only appears when I enable the Z_probe from FW, else it works fine.

I've tried with arduino versions 1.0.5 and 1.6.0 but I get the same problem: call of overloaded printF... is ambiguous.

Any pointers as to why it fails to compile when I enable the Z_probe would be great!
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

OiD wrote:
DeltaCon wrote:One of the stinky changes in version 0.92 is that at some point they defined the motorcurrent values in percentage instead of a 1-255 value
Sounds nasty! From what I've seen so far 92.2 uses 0-255.
Hmm, did you get the firmware from the SeeMe pages, or from the repetier wizard? Perhaps it is a SeeMe thing. I used the Repetier Wizard but had to change quite a few things. I am not sure at which version SeeMe is at the moment, but at that time they used an old version 0.91 something.

Sorry I can't help with the compiling error, I have never seen that one. In my effort to clean my PC from things I don't use, I also threw away the repetier files, so I cannot offer anything to compare to.

OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Hi DeltaCon,
Its from the Seemecnc, it's not the latest as the Repetier wizard one is a bit newer but I'll go there if I can't get this one to work.

I'll try setting the configurations for a Rostock V3 and see if it compiles. Currently as soon as I enable the Z probe in the firmware I get the compiling error. When checking the code it seems logical that it will complain (multiple call types and declarations) but I'm wondering if the way I'm enabling it is causing conflicts causing the error.

I mean, other people have compiled this FW for their printers so I don't think its a common problem, something that I'm doing. Considering I'm heavily editing and changing the FW to my tastes it's provably most likely me :lol:

Today I'll check it again, as let's just say its been a veeeeeeery long weekend ;)
OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Ok, after comparing files, settings and flags I found out why it wasn't compiling. I had placed a decimal point in one of the z values and it only expected integers. I now have the latest FW from the SeeMeCNC github with z probe enabled. :cry:

I'm still running into hotend crashed into the bed. G30 works now and it returns proper height values! Done some more EEPROM tweaks...

G29 likes to send the zprobe into the bed since the "#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT "G28/nG1Z25/n"" will set the Z to 25 when my probe is 41mm.
The bed height map tool likes to go to Z0 with the same effect of crashing the zprobe... Don't know how to change that :(

My capacitive probe and hall effect probe have arrived, I'd need to print the parts for those but the printer is kinda not into printing. Maybe having the probe above the nozzle will help avoid the crashes. The EEPROM settings for probe - bed distances is a bit confusing.

Bit by bit... in the meantime a friend has bought a kit, built it, autocalibrated it and printed a freakin awesome looking 3DBenchy :lol:
OiD
Plasticator

Post by OiD »

Hello Again!

So after a few iterations I made a hall effect z probe ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2492779 ) And I've got most things working.

I'm also no longer crashing the hotend into the bed or towers unless I forget to lower the probe, and I at the point where I can run the bed height map tool.
The problem is that when I run the tool the printer will reset after a couple of probes, disable the steppers, boot and continue accepting commands from the tool. The hotend drops or shifts and each time it resets the z height increasses making the measures take exponentially longer.

I've tried a laptop with a clean install of windows 10 and a direct usb connection (I'm using an active 5m extension cable from my PC) that floated from the printer to the laptop so i'ts no where near any power cables.

I've also tidied up the cables for the RAMBO and moved signal from power, dissabled the I2C functions for the accelerometer just in case but the issue remains, when probing from the height tool the printer will just restart and continue.

Is this a buffer problem? Repetier shows 60+ commands waiting...

Video of issue happens at 18 seconds; https://youtu.be/EuZg7e4cCJU

TL;DR Height bed map tool causes printer to reboot during probing.
Aquilus
Noob

Re: Rostock Max V1 latest and greatest FW for autoleveling

Post by Aquilus »

Hi I'm Aquilus,

I am having trouble z-probing on my rostock max V1 with dual extrusion 0.92.2 firmware. I configured the script on configuration.h as follows but once the machine asks for confirmation with the z_probe button the wendstop sensor does not work despite the pin being correct, (Rambo z-min is pin 10).

The script follows:

#elif PRINTER == 2 // Rostock MAX v2
#if NUM_EXTRUDER == 1
#define MOTOR_CURRENT {140,140,140,130,0}
#elif NUM_EXTRUDER == 2
#define MOTOR_CURRENT {140,140,140,130,130}
#endif
#define HAVE_HEATED_BED 1
#define INVERT_X_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Y_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Z_DIR 0
#define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD 291.06 // ball cup arms
#define DELTA_MAX_RADIUS 145.0
#define PRINTER_RADIUS 200.0
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH 350
#define END_EFFECTOR_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 30.22
#define CARRIAGE_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET 26.5 // molded cheapskates
#define DELTASEGMENTS_PER_PRINTLINE 22
#define STEPPER_INACTIVE_TIME 600L
#define MAX_INACTIVE_TIME 900L
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_X 250
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_Y 250
#define MAX_FEEDRATE_Z 250
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_X 80
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Y 80
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z 80
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 1850
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 1850
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 1850
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 3000
#define MAX_JERK 32
#define MAX_ZJERK 32
#if HOTEND == 3
#else

#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE true
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET 0 // offset for the upholstery from the actual bed level. How z min is measured
#define Z_PROBE_Z_OFFSET_MODE 0
#define Z_PROBE_PIN 10
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH false
#define Z_PROBE_SENSITIVITY 20 // 0-126 7 bit value
#define Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE 80
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP true
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST true
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 5
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
#define Z_PROBE_SWITCHING_DISTANCE 1.5
#define Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS 5
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 35
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
#define FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL true
#define Z_PROBE_X1 -69.28
#define Z_PROBE_Y1 -40
#define Z_PROBE_X2 69.28
#define Z_PROBE_Y2 -40
#define Z_PROBE_X3 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y3 80
#define SDSUPPORT 1
#define SDCARDDETECT 81
#define SDCARDDETECTINVERTED 0
#define FEATURE_CONTROLLER 13
#define UI_PRINTER_NAME "RostockMAXv2"
#endif

Another thing is the problem that with G31 the endstop remains in the open position with L despite the presses it and does not switch to closed with H.
If the pin is correct and so it is since I checked in pin.h under ramp that the z-min is pin 10 I don't know what am I wrong. Even activating the #define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH the machine not only does not solve but also crashes having to turn off the machine to restore. The modified probing placement measures also do not match. I don't know what to do, help please
Last edited by Aquilus on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquilus
Noob

Re: Rostock Max V1 latest and greatest FW for autoleveling

Post by Aquilus »

I installed an optical limit switch as shown in the picture, now it is able to read the opening and closing of the switch via G31, with the led on I from H and when the rod passes me from L. Now I will check the firmware as after the one with the mechanical limit switch the G32 did not crash now with the optical limit switch instead I crash. I enclose everything here.

PS the last level of assembly of the limit switch is ignorable, the assembly as in the photo is ok.

https://i.imgur.com/fXVI82c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OCFXdNp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XcLdSxG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vqDKD0z .mp4

Return to “Troubleshooting”