E3D Hot End + Accelerometer Board

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
wheemzy
Plasticator

E3D Hot End + Accelerometer Board

Post by wheemzy »

Hello,

Any idea why my E3D hot end barely reaches 230? I have it hooked up to the accelerometer board and the newer power supply for the Max V2. Please help.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: E3D Hot End + Accelerometer Board

Post by pouncingiguana »

At a guess, it's because the firmware assumes you have the 40W heater cartridge from the HE280, and the E3D comes with a 30W cartridge. Try PID tuning your hot end and see if that fixes you problem.

M303 P0 S250 X0 //Replace 250 with whatever your Max print temperature is
wheemzy
Plasticator

Post by wheemzy »

It won't even reach the default 235 during the PID tuning and the PID tuning times out. I can only manage to get it to PID tune up to 230.

The temp also dips erratically during prints causing the print to terminate.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

Then it sounds like you've got a heater cartridge that's bad. Check it's resistance. It's probably too high, and ohms law plays no favorites.
wheemzy
Plasticator

Post by wheemzy »

Any idea where in the firmware I could try to adjust the wattage? I've scanned the config and extruder tabs but don't see anything? Thanks for your help.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

The only way to adjust the wattage is to turn up the voltage on the power supply. When you're heating it's already driving the hot end as hard as it can. If you end up doing this, you should be OK to go to about 14 volts.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You don't adjust the wattage, you adjust the PID loop as Mr. Lizard above suggested. :D

One thing you can check is the output of the power supply - heat up your nozzle & bed. 190 for the nozzle, 60 for the bed. While they're heating, check the power output with a multi-meter - if it's below 12v, that may be your problem. As pouncingiguana mentioned, it could also be a bad heater cartridge. You can contact E3D to find out what the resistance is supposed to be (I don't know off the top of my head) and then compare that against yours.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Troubleshooting”