anybody in South FL??? rostock max V2 def error (thermistor heated bed or hot end)

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
prussiap
Printmaster!

anybody in South FL??? rostock max V2 def error (thermistor heated bed or hot end)

Post by prussiap »

Hi all,
I've been in and out of hospital for a while now and was never able to fix and debug my rostock max v2. The last i checked I had a def error which from a previous posting and searching means i have a broken or shorted thermistor on the bed or hot end. i guess there was a spare thermistor hookup on the board but I'm stlil at a loss. One is re-programing the board to work.

Also It seems there was a firmware upgrade to .92 possibly with more debug info? I wanted to upgrade this to a Multi filament print but at this point I could upgrade this V2 to newer version if there is a kit for arms, hotend etc..

So Questions first:
1. Anybody lives in S. FL willing to help me debug this. i can drive it at anybodies convenience but I really need help understanding this a bit better, re-programming and debuging it for good. Been sitting for 1year collecting dust. I can maybe pay for the help if it's not too much.
2. What upgrades can I do for V2 that would change hot end and/or the board maybe to guranatee i have new tested hardware? Not sure I can afford it but it seems from the forum that I can mix and match (just don't know how/where) and there are updated arm rods, carriages, hot end with accelerometer for calibration and an overwhelming list of part upgrades.

In any case as my birthday is coming up this would be the greatest birthday present of all. Help recussitating and/or upgrading the Rostock back into working condition so i can start using it again. I miss my baby quite a bit just short on health/time and resources to figure this out on my own.

If nobody is in S FL maybe someone would be willing to do live debug with me via phone or skype etc...

i can't stress enough how much this would mean to me and would be a first step towards possibly having a tiny Maker RV that I can use as a portable Makerspace.

Thanks and any help is extremely appreciated
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: anybody in South FL??? rostock max V2 def error (thermistor heated bed or hot end)

Post by Xenocrates »

There are arm kits, as well as assembled and kit hotends and wiring harnesses. Now, for troubleshooting, I'm nowhere near FL, but I would be willing to give you a hand with figuring out what you need. The first step would be unplugging the thermistors, and using a multimeter to check them for resistance. Around 100K would be the correct values. Either of them that doesn't measure sorta close to that is the defective one. If you have trouble getting good contact with the connector, see if you can buy a few .1 in pitch header strips to plug into them, or better but more expensive and sorta pointless, either an IC probe for the multimeter or the correct male pins to insert into the connector.

Honestly, debugging software side is a lost cause here. This is a hardware issue (Whether it's a short, an open, or just plugged into the wrong spot), and while the software could be made to work in some cases, it's better to get the hardware right. I would also say much the same thing about starting upgrades right now. We know very little about your issues other than that it's a thermistor issue, and that it's very possibly related to that V6ish hotend you tried to install. which does suggest the hotend, or it's wiring harness. But especially if you have budget issues, I'd rather not start by throwing parts at it.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
prussiap
Printmaster!

Re: anybody in South FL??? rostock max V2 def error (thermistor heated bed or hot end)

Post by prussiap »

Hi,
Just tested both. Seems the replaced hot end is 180ohm and what I think is the heated bed around 90 Ohm though hard to trace the wires i went from schematic etc.. I actually changed the hot end when I had the def error because i was having issues with the resistor connections etc..

Could be the hardware board.

David
prussiap
Printmaster!

Post by prussiap »

Hi,
Again sorry for delay. Dog Surgery and my health i'm a bit bogged down but would still like to fix this sucker.. I'm including the picture I took of the board as well. @xenocrates I'm all ears for how to continue debugging and will try to be faster at replies.. Or if we can use slack etc and an available time.

Thanks,
David

woops picture:
Attachments
2017-11-11 13.15.47.jpg
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Okay, so unplug those two and measure the resistance (if those measurements that you took earlier were correct, then both are bad).

BTW, I'm thinking of replacing mine with this:

https://reprapchampion.com/products/mod ... q0QAvD_BwE

What do you guys think of this?

I have a spare on hand. PM me with your address and I will post it to you. It's just the bare thermistor, if you need it made up with leads it will take a few days but it's no problem. Just give me the length that you would like the leads to be.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

The heated bed one may be vaguely correct, but the hotend one is definitely wrong. The RRC thermistor works, but I prefer PT100's personally, since I do some rather daft things (Hello, 450+ C printhead temperatures), and prefer the mechanical reliability. The RRC one is miles beyond an unpotted thermistor for strain relief though. I'm sorry to say I can't do much troubleshooting with you right now, as I'm doing final prep for a convention this weekend, but feel free to PM me a slack, skype, email, or other address you'd like me to try to use to help you.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

450+ C ?! What are you printing with, solder? :)
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I could, but some of the interesting things like CF reinforced PEEK or PEI need some pretty extreme temperatures. I'm also interested in using the 95% copper filaments, since I have access to the right sort of ovens to sinter it down to a solid. Another big plus for me was the ability to have accurate temperature readings at all temp ranges, (since thermistors are usually off at the low end if calibrated for the high end), while not needing the bimetallic wiring for a thermocouple.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Troubleshooting”