Dead Power Supply?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
noname117
Printmaster!

Dead Power Supply?

Post by noname117 »

I have the 29A PSU for my Rostock Max V2 and a couple of days ago my printer mysteriously shut down in the middle of a print. Flicked the power a few times and it eventually came back on. I got the hot end and bed back up to temp and as soon as I started the print again, the power dropped again and didn't come back. No board power, no green light on the psu, and no psu fan. I pulled out a multimeter and measured a few points. The voltage going in at the N and L connections was 120V but the voltage across each of the V+/- screws was only 1.4V. Got frustrated with it after an hour of google and let it sit until today when I turned it on and for some reason, the printer came on. I measured the voltages again and they read 12.5V across the V+/- screws so I tried to heat the printer up again and as a couple of seconds later, the printer shut off and went back to showing 1.4V.

So I took the PSU apart (after the capacitors had discharged) and the only fuse I saw showed no resistance so I assume its fine and I see no visual evidence of any damage. What else could possibly be messed up and is it even worth messing with or should I just sink the cost into a new PSU?
rootboy
Printmaster!

Re: Dead Power Supply?

Post by rootboy »

Mine died as well, I would dump it and go with a new one. In all fairness to SeeMeCNC, while it's PSU died early, so did the one on my FLSun, as well as its pricey Letour 40A replacement.

I use a ham radio 13.8 volt power supply on my V2, and I couldn't be happier with it. But if I were to buy a new PSU for my printer, I would go with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
noname117
Printmaster!

Post by noname117 »

rootboy wrote:Mine died as well, I would dump it and go with a new one. In all fairness to SeeMeCNC, while it's PSU died early, so did the one on my FLSun, as well as its pricey Letour 40A replacement.

I use a ham radio 13.8 volt power supply on my V2, and I couldn't be happier with it. But if I were to buy a new PSU for my printer, I would go with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
Thanks for the recommendation. Did the 40A make a major difference (while it worked) over a 30A PSU or should I just save the money and get another 30A?
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Since I always buy a spare, the second one is in, and it works fine (so far). It's on a new FLSun printer, which due to my love, mostly hate, relationship with it, I don't have a lot of build time on it. So I don't really have anything to judge it by, but so far it does what it's supposed to do.

I decided to put my money where my mouth is, and I purchased a

MegaWatt (™) S-350-12 30 Amp 9.5-15 Volts Adjustable Ham CB Radio Power Supply 13.8V 12V 33A Peak Not a Clone Real MegaWatt MW

$59 from Amazon. It won't get here until around Christmas. Once it gets here, I'll strap it on my FLSun and do a review.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Don't forget that when you go to a different input voltage, you'll need to re-do the pid tune on the hot end. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Yup. What Gene said. And the bed while you are at it.

Or you could leave it at 12 VDC since it's adjustable. I've been running mine at 13.8 for years now and I haven't had a lick of trouble. Keep in mind that as you raise the voltage, you raise the current as well. So keep an eye on those terminal blocks.
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Well, I've installed it, and so far, so good. But it doesn't have much in the way of runtime as of yet.

Return to “Troubleshooting”