Hotend not getting up to temperature. Broken resistor?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
simowaves
Plasticator

Hotend not getting up to temperature. Broken resistor?

Post by simowaves »

Hello,
Still rocking original Rostock v2.
During a print my temperature dropped and stayed steady around 150.
Later testing trying to heat it up to 200degree (C) failed and it wouldn't heat up above 150C. :( Suspecting one of the Thermal resistors (8R6) failed. measuring them in parallel gave a resistance of 8.6ish ohm...

-> So I'm thinking one broke down, shouldn't it be 4.3 Ohm if both are working?

(So now thinking wether replacing the resistors or upgrade straight to an E3V.)
simowaves
Plasticator

Re: Hotend not getting up to temperature. Broken resistor?

Post by simowaves »

Found answer to my question in other posts.
guanu wrote: Mon May 05, 2014 9:24 am if you have a multimeter, measure the resistance of the heating resistors of the hotend... either at the crimps or the end of the wires.. you should get 3-4 ohms, if you get a reading of 8 or higher ohms, one of the heating resistors is out..

Guanu
Guess now i have to decide wether repairing or upgrading...
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

One possible "repair" is to also just purchase a 12v or 24v heating cartridge (depending on your power supply setup), and drilling then tapping a small hole to secure the cartridge in one of the existing hotend holes intended for the resistors. This obviously does not increase your printable temperature range, due to the limitation of the PEEK, but it gets you back up and running with minimal effort.

As you stated though, many on the forums have upgraded their Rmax V2 hotends to E3D heads. In my case, I went with distechautomation.com and their Prometheus V2, but realistically, any quality all-metal hotend will increase your printable range. Until you get your settings dialed in, you will likely agonize over filament jamming issues in the hotend, but if you persevere, the print quality will return back to whatever tolerances you are capable of calibrating your printer to currently.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Yeah, one of them is bad. But I would swap it out for a modern hotend and reap the benefits of that upgrade. I really liked my Prometheus, but it wasn't compatible with my Delta Smart Effector, which I love even more.

Return to “Troubleshooting”