1.08mm single wall thickness?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
cassetti
Printmaster!

1.08mm single wall thickness?

Post by cassetti »

My prints have been 'ok' but I decided to go back and try calibrating again. I decided to start with the single wall cube.

I printed a single wall 20x20x20mm cube with 1mm perimeter, 0% infill, 3 bottom layers (0 top), and 4 layers of raft. I set my nozzle diameter to 0.55mm in Slic3r 0.9.9, but when I measured the actual thickness, it was approximately 1.08mm (used a digi caliper, buying a micrometer tomorrow morning). Otherwise, the print turned out surprisingly well (probably the 10th item I've printed on this Rostock)

(High resolution so you can see print quality, let me know if this is too large..)
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8121/8618 ... e579_h.jpg[/img]
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
jbinion
Printmaster!

Re: 1.08mm single wall thickness?

Post by jbinion »

Holy cow, that looks great.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

jbinion wrote:Holy cow, that looks great.
Lol, thanks, except it's too thick! It should be close to 0.5mm thick, not 1.08!

-----

Here are my EEprom settings - I suspect it's my extruder steps per mm that's off - I did double the default eeprom value, but perhaps that was incorrect?
Attachments
ScreenClip [5].png
ScreenClip [3].png
(No trees were killed to post this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I'd look in the comments at the top of the gcode and see what extrusion width Slicer picked for you.
I assume it actually only printed 1 perimeter, I'm surprised you could print that well with a wall width that high.
MorbidSlowBurn
Printmaster!

Post by MorbidSlowBurn »

Cassetti- in your first post you said you printed with a "1mm" perimeter. And you measured 1.08. If both are true you need to set the extrusion multiplier to 1/1.08 = 0.93.

The way polygonhell wrote up the extrusion help was to have a single 0.55mm perimeter. So you want to compare with your perimeter settings. Not really an issue but for better resolution you probably want to print with .55 perimeters in the slicer for a .5 nozzle. That seems to be the standard.

The higher the perimeter width to nozzle ratio, the higher the pressure in your nozzle for the same speed. This will most likely result in problems with ooze during lifts and retracts.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

@Polygonhell, I'll check my g-code to see what it picked. It did print only 1 perimeter, and yes, the quality is VERY good.

@MorbidSlowBurn, I set my slic3r nozzle diameter to 0.55 per polygonhell's recommendation. I measured 1.08, but that may be off. I am buying a Micrometer in an hour or two, and will measure again and post the true thickness.

If i were to use those calculations, I'd set my extrusion multiplier to 0.55/1.08 = 0.509 - that sounds way off. I really think it's something in my EEPROM settings.
MorbidSlowBurn
Printmaster!

Post by MorbidSlowBurn »

There are two distinct settings in Slic3r. One for nozzle diameter which if stock should be .5mm. And another for wall thickness. In your original post you state 1mm walls. That is why I was thinking you only need a minor extruder multiplier adjustment. If you can, post a screen cap of the Slic3r settings or the start of the g-code that should also have the settings.

With your EEPROM, an easy way to check if it is advancing as expected is to put a mark on the filament at 50mm before the extruder entrance. Send a 50mm extrude command from the host and see how far it moves. (May want to put a couple of marks every 10mm or so after the 50). Then check which one is closest to your entrance. Looking at your settings for the steps/mm of the extruder they are close to mine, so I don't expect it to be off.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Gotcha, I'll have to check my wall thickness settings when I get home - what tab is that option under?

I have measured my extruder movements by marketing 50mm increments, and it was close enough (maybe a mm off, if that), the only thing I haven't done is measure the extrusion coming out of the hotend to ensure it matches what's going in.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Looked at my G-code and here's what I saw:

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.94mm

Looks like the extrusion width is set to almost 1mm! Where is this setting in Slic3r? What should it be set to?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

cassetti wrote:Looked at my G-code and here's what I saw:

Looks like the extrusion width is set to almost 1mm! Where is this setting in Slic3r? What should it be set to?
If you don't set it explicitly in the Print settings/Advanced tab, slic3r will calculate what it believes to be some optimal value for you from nozzle diameter. IME this calculation is utter crap.
I set them all the same and a good starting point unless you are printing very thick layers (> 0.35) is about 0.05 > than your nozzle diameter.
As a general rule you can go anywhere from +/- 20% of the nozzle diameter as long as the width/thickness ratio is >=1.5.
The narrower you make it the more you are stretching filament which will lead to things like corners being cut, and perimeters curling up mid print.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Polygonhell wrote:
cassetti wrote:Looked at my G-code and here's what I saw:

If you don't set it explicitly in the Print settings/Advanced tab, slic3r will calculate what it believes to be some optimal value for you from nozzle diameter. IME this calculation is utter crap.
I set them all the same and a good starting point unless you are printing very thick layers (> 0.35) is about 0.05 > than your nozzle diameter.
As a general rule you can go anywhere from +/- 20% of the nozzle diameter as long as the width/thickness ratio is >=1.5.
The narrower you make it the more you are stretching filament which will lead to things like corners being cut, and perimeters curling up mid print.
Ah, The extrusion Width's - yes I found them. Little confused, so what do you recommend I set them to for this nozzle? 0.55mm? I assume I set it to 0.55 for default extrusion width, perimeters, infill, and support? Or should I only set the perimeter's to 0.55? Or should I simply play with them as needed?
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Can anyone list what they are using for the extrusion width's on the rostock max? All mine are set to 0
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I set everything to 0.55 unless I'm trying to do something specific.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Polygonhell wrote:I set everything to 0.55 unless I'm trying to do something specific.
Thanks!

This really improved my print quality. I am using 0.80 for my first layer extrusion width because I don't have an entirely level build surface (need to add a piece of glass to this aluminum plate).
USMCPelto
Prints-a-lot

Post by USMCPelto »

I had HORRIBLE infill, even for an uneven bed it was bad. Then I noticed after much forum searching that it was a result of Slicer trying to print .85 layers or larger, I think it might have been larger but I've since set them all to .55 in the advanced tab and got much closer at .7 thickness, now I'm adjusting the setting for the extruder ratio. But I got much better infill changing that thickness setting.
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

Happy to hear you were able to figure it out.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

What should it be set to if your nozzle diameter is .40?... 0.45?
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

The extrusion width can be measured with a caliper by extruding a strand (about 10 cm long).

It can vary quite a bit depending on the material. I've seen it be in the range of .50 mm to .62 mm.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-dig ... 47257.html
cassetti
Printmaster!

Post by cassetti »

elqisqeyano wrote:What should it be set to if your nozzle diameter is .40?... 0.45?
Not sure what "it" you're referring to..
Nozzle diameter should be set to exactly the diameter of your nozzle - if you have the Rostock Max kit - the standard nozzle is 0.5
You should set your extrusion widths to 10% larger than your nozzle diameter - so for the Rostock Max, you would enter 0.55

What ended up being the problem in my case (the start of this thread) is that my extrusion widths were set to 0 ("leave 0 for auto") - seems "auto" mode guessed that I wanted the extrusion widths to be 0.94mm! Once I set to 0.55mm for all 5 fields, I was able to measure a single wall width of 0.64mm which I could then use to determine my actual extrusion multiplier
mrbi11
Printmaster!

Post by mrbi11 »

The width isn't fixed. If it needs a wider wall it squirts more "hot glue".
Width controlled by flow rate.
Only height is fixed.
That was news to me and is explained in the calibration manual recommended in the build instructions.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%2 ... tion_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, the manual says set the stepping moto to 92.65, which was way off for me.
Measuring how many centimeters i actually got from a command to extrude 10 centimeters
was about 9.2 or 92% what was asked.
I set mine to 100.7, and has is about 99.5% or better accuracy.
More accurate than i can repeat with a tape measure anyway.
My prints no longer look like wicker.

Return to “Troubleshooting”