First Print - general advice?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
PhoenixNZ
Printmaster!

First Print - general advice?

Post by PhoenixNZ »

Hi All,

Just finished the PEEK fan shroud. Came out pretty good for a first print I thought. Some general questions though

A) Do these appear on everyone's first print?
B) I had little loops and "tags" appear on the sides occasionally. I've knocked these off with a knife which is why the spots appear white
C) A slight offset occurs here. The rest of the model continues on from this offset as normal, It is more pronouced (only barely) near the x tower. Doesn't really affect the quality of the print, but I notice is gets a little more wonky towards the top

D) I also had minor stringing across the back at the top - again: is this normal?
E) I heard the filament "popping". The room I am in is dry, but quite cool (18°C ish), and the filament tends to ooze out of the nozzle even if the extruder isn't going. Assuming this is normal?
F) Last question. The dumbest one, but also the one I'd most like an answer for haha: How should you get the print off the bed (i'm using glue stick) and then clean the bed up? I have a PEEK shroud-shaped glue outline on my glass plate now.

Edit: geneb that manual is amazing. I was reasonably hobby-minded to begin with but it's extremely clear and painless to follow

[img]http://i.imgur.com/dL6HBvx.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/voZmnpx.jpg[/img]
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: First Print - general advice?

Post by guanu »

A: normal for the angle and overhang
B: I've printed over 400 of these and yea, I get that too in there
C: that one I dont get, not sure.. did you use our gcode or did you slice it? if you sliced it what speed/travel speed?
D: I really dont get strining much, but that would be tweaking retraction
E: assuming its abs, it doesnt absorb moisture, as much as it can gather just room humidity on its surface and causing that pop, I make filament sometimes here at work and if I pull the pellets out of our dryer, it works great, if it sits overnight I get the same thing, but it works just fine....
F: for fan shrouds I just grab em through the hole and pull.. and just ignore the shapes on the glass, I use hairspray, but the principal is the same... the dirtier your glass, the better things will continue to stick.. if things stop sticking, then apply more glue, but you should be able to get a good bunch of prints without needing to re-apply

Guanu
PhoenixNZ
Printmaster!

Re: First Print - general advice?

Post by PhoenixNZ »

guanu wrote: C: that one I dont get, not sure.. did you use our gcode or did you slice it? if you sliced it what speed/travel speed?
I used the default settings as instructed in the manual, Slic3r etc. Using Repetier HOST v1.0 but it shouldn't be different from v0.95 like in the manual. Maybe I bumped the top of the printer or something. I'll try the Layer Fan Shroud tonight and see if it happens again.
guanu wrote: E: assuming its abs, it doesnt absorb moisture, as much as it can gather just room humidity on its surface and causing that pop, I make filament sometimes here at work and if I pull the pellets out of our dryer, it works great, if it sits overnight I get the same thing, but it works just fine....
F: for fan shrouds I just grab em through the hole and pull.. and just ignore the shapes on the glass, I use hairspray, but the principal is the same... the dirtier your glass, the better things will continue to stick.. if things stop sticking, then apply more glue, but you should be able to get a good bunch of prints without needing to re-apply
Ah, good to know these two. Thanks!

Return to “Troubleshooting”