Can't get a good connection any more with USB

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Hans
Printmaster!

Can't get a good connection any more with USB

Post by Hans »

Not sure what changed, my Rostock Max V2 was running fine earlier today (except an extruder slipping issue that I was working to solve), now I can't get it to connect via USB using either Matter Control or Repetier.
USB connection checks fine with other devices, printer boots fine and is able to print from an SD card. But no-go on getting the printer to run via the computer.

Tried removing and re-installing the Rambo driver from the PC, haven't tried re-flashing the board yet. Any other suggestions to try?

-Hans
briankb
Printmaster!

Re: Can't get a good connection any more with USB

Post by briankb »

Try another USB cable, brand new if possible. I know it seems an unlikely cause but according to the other factors like it printing from SD card, this is the next and cheapest possible fix. The cheap USB cables can break internally over time while still technically connecting it cannot transmit data properly.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
Hans
Printmaster!

Post by Hans »

Same result with a known-good USB cable, and the cable I was using on the printer test fine with other devices.

-Hans
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

Maybe the actual female socket on the RamBo board is loose on the PCB. You could try opening the panel and holding or making sure the USB cable is firm and seated like it should be. You could hold it while connected and see if communication returns, if so then it's the usb socket on the board. Which you can try to resolder or just get a replacement board.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
Hans
Printmaster!

Post by Hans »

Wasn't the socket either. However I did re-flash the firmware and it seems to be responding now.

Of course, I have to re-do all my PID settings now, but such is the way of things.

-Hans
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

did it possibly overheat and corrupt the boot/firmware somehow? I ask because if it wasn't a hardware failure in the cable or socket it may happen again.

at least you are back online.
Hans
Printmaster!

Post by Hans »

I probably did something while tying to sort out why my ezstruder wasn't feeding right, and matter control kept trying to re-start the print job without me realizing it.

-Hans
Hans
Printmaster!

Post by Hans »

In the long run, looks like this whole problem was a good thing. Forced me to start fresh with all new calibrations, and I'll have to say it's printing better than ever now.

-Hans
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

Hans wrote:Wasn't the socket either. However I did re-flash the firmware and it seems to be responding now.

Of course, I have to re-do all my PID settings now, but such is the way of things.

-Hans
Did you erase your eeprom? Your PID settings etc are stored there, just flashing new firmware won't erase it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”