Vertical Banding Revisited

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Vertical Banding Revisited

Post by Jimustanguitar »

So there have been a few threads on this in the past: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=4203&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I can't find a definitive conclusion. Has anybody gotten closer to solving this:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/qUuzctT.png[/img]
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Re: Vertical Banding Revisited

Post by Khalid Khattak »

I think the infill making such banding...I use cura and i use 20% infill overlap with walls... Which gives such banding but the part is almost smooth just you can see texture like this..i normally use 0.6mm wall thickness (0.2x3 layer of each wall)... do all of your parts the same banding i.e same pattern pitch?
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

On an unrelated note, what effector platform is that?
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

WoW, I'm glad you made this post. I was going nuts using the forum search and not coming up with an answer. I just switched to a E3D V6 .4 and I'm noticing the vertical banding a lot more. I don't have the same large prints to compare, but you'll see the difference below with only the hotend and the mount being changed.

Of course they look much worse on camera than in person.

E3D V6 .4 nozzle with printed mount
[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/Onuxis/20150208_100116.jpg[/img]

Rostock Max v2 Stock .5 Hotend
[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/Onuxis/20150208_101605.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/Onuxis/20150208_101902.jpg[/img]
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

It could be possible that the smaller nozzle creating a thinner shell could be causing the infil lines to show through more? Do the align with the infil pattern?
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Nylocke wrote:It could be possible that the smaller nozzle creating a thinner shell could be causing the infil lines to show through more? Do the align with the infil pattern?
that's hard to say for mine on the blue piece, it's a 25% triangle infill. I'll grab a pic in an hour when the walls start building up and we can correlate the infill to the sides.
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

I just looked at a translucent piece I just printed, there is a slight ripple on two of the three sides of the part and since I can see the infill (10%) I can tell there's a lot more ripples than infill. I'm thinking it's the line segments printed or something like that.

I'm using S3D.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Maybe a larger nozzle smooths out the effects of delta segments more? Would need to know the results from the print in progress though.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

You could isolate the possibility of infill affecting it vs delta segments by printing a large square vase with spiral vase or 1 wall no infil enabled
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

mlapaglia wrote:On an unrelated note, what effector platform is that?
It's the V1 platform, from before clip on arms. A disgruntled employee started running plastic parts that weren't black as a test, and they ended up in the junk pile.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Doesn't appear to correlate to the infill. My new nozzles should be here tomorrow so I'll at least be able to try a .6 on the same hot end for a comparison.

[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/Onuxis/20150208_131256.jpg[/img]
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

What's your segments per second at? (EEPROM should be able to tell you)
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Some guys on the MakerHive forum recall that changing print speed would effect this... um... effect. If it's a resonance problem, test it by changing the frequency.
I'm going to do a control piece, then print the same code with the speed multiplier turned up, and then I'll try slicing it faster as well.

Running a job at the moment, but I'll look up my segments per second too.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Nylocke wrote:What's your segments per second at? (EEPROM should be able to tell you)

You're talking a foreign language to me :)

Segments/s for travel 80
Segments/s for travel printing 225

I am printing this somewhat slow at 20mm/s for inside, outside, and infill.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Mines a bit lower than yours I think, but I haven't gotten really any visible banding. I print around 35-45mm/sec in Cura. I don't print a lot of flat sided objects though. I'll check it on some upcoming prints I'm doing.
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Some guys on the MakerHive forum recall that changing print speed would effect this... um... effect. If it's a resonance problem, test it by changing the frequency.
I'm going to do a control piece, then print the same code with the speed multiplier turned up, and then I'll try slicing it faster as well.

Running a job at the moment, but I'll look up my segments per second too.

I get some vertical artifacts, and if I change speed - go slower - they go away. Mostly they are just a surface texture and I don't care if that is part of the price of printing fast.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

I still see the vertical banding at low speeds. Im wondering if going to a 5:1 geared stepper would smooth things out?
Running rostock max V1 with rambo, e3dv6, and tricklaser arms.
Anyone notice improvement with different electronics???
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

The extruder shouldn't make a big difference. I am using 32x drivers, that could be benefiting me.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

What slicing engine are we all using? I've been doing Cura. I got some segmenting on a Prusa i2 I was working on, maybe it's some sort of artifact from the slicing engine? I don't think it would be segmenting one large side, but maybe? Can't check g-code atm, riding in a car.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Nylocke wrote:The extruder shouldn't make a big difference. I am using 32x drivers, that could be benefiting me.
5:1steppers on the x,y,z axis...
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Nylocke wrote:What slicing engine are we all using? I've been doing Cura. I got some segmenting on a Prusa i2 I was working on, maybe it's some sort of artifact from the slicing engine? I don't think it would be segmenting one large side, but maybe? Can't check g-code atm, riding in a car.

MatterControl / MatterSlice
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

DavidF wrote:
Nylocke wrote:The extruder shouldn't make a big difference. I am using 32x drivers, that could be benefiting me.
5:1steppers on the x,y,z axis...
Well that could make a difference...
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Im using Cura
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Try slicing and printing this with your regular settings and then with spiral vase enabled. Then post the G-code and I'll try printing them and we can compare the results. KAS could try their hand in printing it as well, then we can all compare results. Make sure you post your diameter and flow rate settings from Cura so we can get our extrusion multipliers correct. From this we should be able to see the effect of x32 drivers and what, if any, effect the infill has on the surface finish.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Nylocke wrote:Try slicing and printing this with your regular settings and then with spiral vase enabled. Then post the G-code and I'll try printing them and we can compare the results. KAS could try their hand in printing it as well, then we can all compare results. Make sure you post your diameter and flow rate settings from Cura so we can get our extrusion multipliers correct. From this we should be able to see the effect of x32 drivers and what, if any, effect the infill has on the surface finish.
Will do it tomorrow, stuck doing the work thing right now :(
What are we trying to print anyway? File?

Return to “Troubleshooting”