Where To Put It?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Red Sand
Printmaster!

Where To Put It?

Post by Red Sand »

Totally new here - three questions:

#1 Location: I am considering putting the V2 in the garage but I'm not sure this is ideal because of the larger amount of dust out there and the range in temperature changes. I have a "bonus room" that's next to my bedroom but is the V2 going to be noisy if/when it's running at night while I'm trying to sleep?

#2 Table: in the garage I have a work bench but I'm not feeling a good vibe about that because this machine takes up lots of space and . . . I need my work bench. So, I'm thinking of building a very sturdy table or I'll probably just end up buying another workbench and perhaps adding stabilizing braces if needed. Does this sound reasonable?

#3 Moving the V2: I'm assuming the machine, when fully built and functional, should not be moved unless absolutely necessary? The answer will help me determine the best location for using this printer.

Many thanks,

Brad
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Where To Put It?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

1. You can figure out where you want it to live after you've got it built and listen to it for yourself. Some people are really bothered by the sound, and others (like me) really don't care. I would avoid a dusty location, personally.

2. I've got my printer on its own stand. They're not terribly heavy or vibration inducing, so you can get away with just about anything. What about a rolling service cart from Harbor Freight?

3. I move mine every week taking it back and forth from the MakerHive. You have to be nice to them, but picking the machine up and laying it on its side in the back seat of your car ought to be just fine. (if you've got a jeep or something with some cargo space, setting it upright would be even better) The trick is to hold the machine as if it's still sitting on a table. Support it from the bottom.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

You probably want to avoid the garage - not just because of dust but if you have any drafts, it will affect your ABS prints.

I have mine in my "Office", on a short heavy square table in the corner. The corner helps keep temperatures constant. I am still considering building an enclosure out of lexan or polycarbonate.
Red Sand
Printmaster!

Post by Red Sand »

Thanks Jimustanguitar & mvansomeren

I keep thinking of all the things I'd like to make . . . will probably have to get two or three of these things and invest in a company that makes spools of ABS
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

If you really think you're going to go through dozens of spools, you could always invest in one of these bad boys. http://www.filastruder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.

Return to “Troubleshooting”