Horizontal radius doesn't work

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Cale
Printmaster!

Horizontal radius doesn't work

Post by Cale »

I've been having lots of troubles leveling my printer.I leveled my Rostock MAX v2 several months ago,but I could only get it to print small objects.I've recently been releveling again,but now things have gone wrong.Every time I reset the horizontal radius,nothing seems to change.Anyone have any idea of what is going on?I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Cale
bot
Printmaster!

Re: Horizontal radius doesn't work

Post by bot »

The horizontal radius will not affect the height at the center. It only affects the flatness of the plane by controlling the height of the extremities.
*not actually a robot
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Did you follow the flowchart in the build manual exactly?

Bot, the center will dome as the edge drops and the center will drop as the edge rises.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

geneb wrote:Did you follow the flowchart in the build manual exactly?

Bot, the center will dome as the edge drops and the center will drop as the edge rises.

g.
Gene,

Is the center raising or lower relative to the edges or actually changing Z heigth of the center? I believe that the Calibration video that SeeMeCNC has posted says that the Z height of the center doesn't change.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Correct, ZHeight at 0,0,0 should remain the same. Changing the radius value in the EEPROM will effect the resultant height around the perimeters.
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

I know the horizontal radius doesn't affect the height.Currently how the horizontal radius is,is that the hot-end is touching the bed along the edges ,but is above the center.I've tried leveling the way the instruction manual recommends.Hope this helps you guys help me.

Cale
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

The flow chart on 240 will help but I would start on page 236 of the manual:

http://download.seemecnc.com/rostockmax ... dition.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by KAS on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

kas, if all 3 towers are going lower than the center, the horizontal radius needs to be changed, not the screws... the screws will change I'm sure, but not when all 3 towers are either above or below the center....

Cale, if the center is higher than the outer perimeter, raise the horizontal radius in the EEPROM, and keep bringing it up little by little until it is level, more than likely all 3 will not be even, but raise horizontal radius till at least one tower is higher than center, and adjust endstop screws so they all move the same direction equally... then re-tweak horizontal radius...
Quick rundown:
if the nozzle at all 3 towers is lower than the center position, horizontal radius needs to be increased.
If the outer edges are higher than the center at all 3 towers, horizontal radius needs to be lowered.
If one is above the center and two are below, adjust the screw on the odd one (the one above) and loosen that screw... as this will bring that tower down and the opposite two up (adjusting one screw does affect all 3 towers
If one outer location is lower than the center and the other two outer locations are higher, tighten the endstop screw for the lower tower only as this will bring that tower up and lower the other two.
If one outer location is level with center, one location is higher than center, and the third location is lower than the center... tighten endstop screw on the tower that is lower than center, and loosen the screw on the tower that is higher than the center and equal amount, this will negate the tower that is good, and will bring the two that are not closer to good.

* also note that when you make an adjustment to the endstop screw, re-calibrate z height as it will change! But horizontal radius adjustments will not change your z=0 location

Hope that makes sense, its a quick rundown of all the scenarios for calibration... after over 750 machines calibrated it is pretty much second nature to me lol

Guanu
Last edited by guanu on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Gotcha, i'll edit my post because it sounded good in my head but it's way to early for this :)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The opposite end of that is if the nozzle is low in the center, you raise the horizontal radius and if it's high in the center, you lower it.

For me it boils down to technique and which is more newbie-friendly. If you've done 700+ machines, eyeballing a calibration can be pretty effective because your eyeball itself has become "calibrated". :) However, if you've NEVER done it before, using the paper method (with paper or a thin feeler gauge) is the better way to do it. (IMO)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

What I am meaning is that when I change the horizontal radius,nothing changes at all.I once made the setting go up 1.0 and nothing happened.Hope this helps you guys.

Cale
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Cale,

You are changing the Horizontal Radius value in EEPROM via MatterControl or Repetier-Host, correct?

If so, and changing the value has no effect, perhaps use of EEPROM settings became disabled. I don't know if there is a way to get Repetier firmware to report the present value of EEPROM_MODE.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

Yep I'm using Repetier-Host for EEPROM settings.I'll go check and see if EEPROM somehow got disabled.

Cale
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

BIG shocker for everyone!Nothing was wrong at all!I was probably not looking at the difference to well.Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone.

Cale
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

I think I legitimately have this problem, because I've adjusted my Horizontal Radius up to 220 (from 130) and it still won't pin the paper. I'm using MatterController. Should I be making the change in the firmware in this case? I still have the arduino app fired up with the firmware in there.
Also, I'm using the latest version of Arduino 1.6.4 instead of the version used in the manual. When I flashed the firmware, I did notice it said memory was almost full.
Thoughts?
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
dajay23D
Printmaster!

Post by dajay23D »

i have the same problem. i'm running mattercontrol. I can't get my bed center to level w/ the x, y, z. I raise and lower the horizontal radius and adjust the end stop screws. Up to a certain point, it seems like it has no affect or like you guys say, horizontal radius does not affect the center bed height. If that's the case, how do you lower the center to match x, y, z? raising and lowering horizontal radius doesn't seem to help. I'm able to level my x, y, z but bed center is always higher. I tried to raise the HR, but if I do that, my x,y, z goes high and when I finally get x,y,z to lower via end stop screws, the center will raise back up...etc. I've tried to lower z height, but then it'll raise x,y,z. I think i can't get everything pretty level at HR 130.25, but it's not .2mm or .008" It's probably like .5mm or more.

I've spend "days" trying to perfect it, but in the end, i left it alone. But knowing the bed is not perfectly level. I mainly printed small things that doesn't require the whole diameter of the bed. I've been able to calibrate printed objects just fine. If i really need to have a level bed, i'll try the auto print leveling feature. so far everything is fine. but once in awhile, i'll go back to try to calibrate it again.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Look at it in the opposite way you mentioned. Adjust X/Y/Z so those positions match each other, then change the horizontal radius to raise or lower those X/Y/Z positions to match the center. Once the 4 "Marco" position are the same height off the bed, then calibration the overall Z height with a piece of paper from the LCD.

Once the X/Y/Z towers match in height, you shouldn't need to move the screws anymore. Everything past that point will deal with HR values.

Return to “Troubleshooting”