First layer issues

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
avangelking
Prints-a-lot

First layer issues

Post by avangelking »

I have a Rostock Max V2 and I am trying to figure out why my first layer is making the mistake of running into the filament it is laying down. You will be able to see what I mean in the images.
Attachments
2015-03-25 18.35.45.jpg
2015-03-25 18.35.36.jpg
2015-03-25 18.35.27.jpg
2015-03-25 18.35.13.jpg
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: First layer issues

Post by guanu »

little low on the first layer... easiest way is to adjust the first layer by your results...
on the lcd:
click the knob and go all the way down to advanced and click the knob.
go all the way down to calibrate z height and click the knob
click home
after the machine homes, click adjust z height
turn the knob counter clockwise to lower the nozzle, when you get closer to 0, turn the knob very slowly... turn it until it displays 0.10 mm and click the knob
click set z=0.00

if your first layer is still a little too squished, you can repeat this for another .1, .05, or whatever you need to dial it in...
this will make the nozzle for your first layer 0.1mm higher and not so squished... the knob can even go into the negative, so you can dial in your first layer how you want this way... (negative if you want the nozzle closer to the bed, positive for if you want the nozzle higher off the bed)

Guanu
MrJoe
Printmaster!

Post by MrJoe »

Guanu, Do I need to make any other changes after tweaking the Z height? Like horizontal radius?
The answer is probably obvious to somebody with more experience than I have, but I'm still a novice.
Thank You
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

All you're doing is moving the Z zero point to a location .10mm higher than it was before. It won't change the machine calibration.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

guanu wrote:little low on the first layer... easiest way is to adjust the first layer by your results...
on the lcd:
click the knob and go all the way down to advanced and click the knob.
go all the way down to calibrate z height and click the knob
click home
after the machine homes, click adjust z height
turn the knob counter clockwise to lower the nozzle, when you get closer to 0, turn the knob very slowly... turn it until it displays 0.10 mm and click the knob
click set z=0.00

if your first layer is still a little too squished, you can repeat this for another .1, .05, or whatever you need to dial it in...
this will make the nozzle for your first layer 0.1mm higher and not so squished... the knob can even go into the negative, so you can dial in your first layer how you want this way... (negative if you want the nozzle closer to the bed, positive for if you want the nozzle higher off the bed)

Guanu
I have done that and find the process to be long and cumbersome. Instead I just go into the EEPROM and change the Z length by .1 or whatever.

Is there anything bad about doing it in the EEPROM directly?

I also find when using the dial to set the Z that I can easily go to far, and I assume at some point you can have the stepper jump a full step.

What is the actual Z resolution of the steppers? 1 microstep = how many mm?
(standard pulley, 200 step/rev motors, standard (256?) microsteps per step)
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

You're doing pretty much the same thing that the printer is doing, so probably not really.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I think it's for new users to get accustomed to the way mentioned in the manual first. Also it's possible that people will not be running these connected to a computer or use programs that don't have a EEPROM interface. This just provides a foundation or a place to start.

I'm sure like most, once you get the basics down they will move on to the easier way of adjustments and calibration through the EEPROM.
avangelking
Prints-a-lot

Post by avangelking »

Thank you for your help. It worked out perfectly.

Return to “Troubleshooting”