Extruder not working

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Cale
Printmaster!

Extruder not working

Post by Cale »

I am having a big problem right now, my extruder won't work.I can turn it manually, but controlling it from my laptop,or LCD screen doesn't do anything.I looked at the connection on the RAMBo, but nothing was wrong.Another weird thing on the LCD screen.In temperature control it shows, Extruder 0 off,but I can't change it.I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Cale
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Extruder not working

Post by Nylocke »

Sounds like you might have some thermistor troubles. Does it say def instead of the temperature or? The reason your extruder isn't moving is because the hotend isn't up to temp, it only operates at 170+
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

When I figured out the extruder wasn't working, I was doing a print.So the hot-end was up to temp.I now have an add on question.I tried looking at other settings on the LCD screen.I came across Stepper Inactive in General inside advanced settings.I played around with the numbers, :roll: ,and now I can't get the number back to zero.It is currently at 39,does that number affect anything.If so how do I get it back to zero.Hope this helps.

Cale
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Having lured me into playing with the Stepper Inactive value, I ended up at the same point with a value of 39. Clearly the repetier program has an issue adjusting that value correctly. However, when I powered the machine off and back on again, the value was restored to 0.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
radicaldev
Printmaster!

Post by radicaldev »

In theory, stepper inactive should be a duration which, after no activity at all for that duration, the steppers should be disabled (like when you go to general settings, and disable stepper).

Should not be a factor when printing, because stepper activity is pretty frequent.
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

Thanks for the help on my second problem.I checked it right after I read the post,and sure enough it was back to zero.Unfortunately I still haven't figured out why the extruder isn't working.I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Cale
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Cale wrote:I am having a big problem right now, my extruder won't work.I can turn it manually, but controlling it from my laptop,or LCD screen doesn't do anything.I looked at the connection on the RAMBo, but nothing was wrong.Another weird thing on the LCD screen.In temperature control it shows, Extruder 0 off,but I can't change it.I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Cale
On the LCD panel, "Adjust Temps > Extruder 0 Off" is not a status or changeable value, it is simply a shortcut to set the target temp to zero. If you click on the fields above it ("Bed Temp" and "Temp 0") you can adjust the values. If this control method has led you to think that clicking the bottom field might toggle between Off & On, it does not.

Did you recently upload firmware? Do you have the "alternate" stepper motors?
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Cale
Printmaster!

Post by Cale »

Sorry its taken a few days to answer your questions, Earthbound.I don't know what "alternate" stepper motors are,so I don't think I have them.I haven't recently uploaded the firmware,but do you think reflashing the firmware might work?

Cale
Cale
Printmaster!

Re: Extruder not working (fixed)

Post by Cale »

Surprise everyone, I solved my own problem!I simply solved it by reflashing the firmware,and voila,the extruder is back up and running.Thanks everyone for helping me,and other people who might have this problem ;) .

Cale
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Good job Cale!
A corrupted firmware can be extremely difficult to diagnose, but you nailed it!

Return to “Troubleshooting”