z index way off when calibrating now

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
fiddypal
Plasticator

z index way off when calibrating now

Post by fiddypal »

I dont know what the hell i did but something is messed up now.

I tried to print a STL i downloaded off the internet and thats when my problems started. The printer was trying to print a good distance off the bed so i figured i would re-level it. When i tried to do that the G28 command started making the machine just move the Z axis down slightly so i figure the firmware is jacked.

I follow the directions to wipe the eeprom and then upload the firmare, and now when i try to confgiure each tower with the adjustment screw at the top and the macros, my Z tower adjustment is way off the bed to the point where the adjustment screw is almost falling out of the cheapskate. The X and Y tower adjustment macros now make the head crash into the bed hard.

I did notice the Z belt got loose and i just tightened it up but it did not solve the problem.

Ugh,....
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: z index way off when calibrating now

Post by Mac The Knife »

I'd start with page 207 of the manual, and check your endstop switches.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
fiddypal
Plasticator

Post by fiddypal »

end stops switches are all fine, i just cant figure out whats throwing it out of whack all of a sudden. I havent touched the printer since last night when it was working just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!
fiddypal
Plasticator

Post by fiddypal »

I've formatted the firmware several times and still keep having the same issue, i am ready to pull my hair out!

Z is like .25inch off bed and X and Y smash into be now when screws are level on top of the cheap skates.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

can you take a screenshot of your EEPROM please?

for your end stops switches, just make sure they don't move at all. That's a common occurrence on new builds.

When you re-load the firmware, put your end stop screws to about the middle to give you more adjustment.

Don't use those macros until you set the overall Z height from the LCD. For now just set the nozzle 20mm above the bed just to make sure one of the towers isn't doing something funny and smashing into the glass. You could have a loose pulley on the stepper, just re-check everything again.
fiddypal
Plasticator

Post by fiddypal »

Well, somehow trying the "auto level" feature worked within Matter Control. I followed the steps and then ran my macros and some how it aligned pretty damn good!!! I am printing a little clip right now and so far no issues :)

I wish i knew what the hell was causing my problem eariler tho :(
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Cool, just take a screenshot of your eeprom once your happy with the settings. It's a good backup to have if/when the printer drops those settings. Mattercontrol is the only program that randomly reset the eeprom on me.
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

I just had the same problem when I changed computers that run my printer. I couldn't figure out why the heck my x tower height was so much higher than the z or y tower. Then I took a second look at my macros and noticed I had typo'd the x tower macro and added a 5 where it should have been 0. Oops. Everything is good now.
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Makerbot Replicator Gen 5
jstone33065
Plasticator

Post by jstone33065 »

same goes for me..but the problem is getting it calibrated once again to the exact settings that you had when you finally dialed it all in after you first put it together and achieved your first great print!!! what a pain in the but! but (no pun intended) i managed to do it like this..
1: I unscrewed the end stop screws completely
2: from the instant they catch on to the thread i counted 9 full turns until the screws were level with the carriage edge
3: i then unscrewed the screws 5 full turns
4: set the horizon radius to 132 if it isnt already

at least from that point you have plenty of room to start from the manual calibrating section
also pay attention to how many parts of a turn or full turns you are turning each end stop screw so you can then determine if your machine is tilted and you have to make some individual tower adjustments to correct the tilt or you can just deal with the fact you just leveled it and print your brains out...
also..for anybody who needs to complete the first 2 prints for the fan shrouds and are having warp problems...get the pei polymer sheets off amazon .03 thckness and just use a dremel tool or similar to cut it round and clip it on to the bed and you will never have a warp or stick problem again...i just ordered it and installed it with no adhesive, just using the bed clips and i am a printing fool...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
anyway...i hope this helps someone
jstone33065
Plasticator

Post by jstone33065 »

in a quick update I'd like to correct my erroneous mention of not having to turn off the a/c just because of the pei polymer sheet...turns out anything over 3 inches radius from the center and over a quarter inch in height will start to warp and then catch and rock with the direction of the hotend especially if the pei isnt glue down to the glass bed...so after i did glue down the pei sheet and then pressed out all the bubbles (so i could have it as flat as possible, also, so it wouldn't end up detaching itself from the glass due to the heat loosening up the glue and expanding the air bubbles helping to warp the polymer and then causing everything to be pointless) i then printed something i needed to and it was a stepper motor mount which was 3 1/2x1 1/2x1 1/2 with only 1 corner slightly warping within 1.5 mm making it a successful print being able to still use the mount...and the fan located right overhead the machine was off and the a/c vent was slightly closed enough to keep the airflow hugging the ceiling..so i am going to finish this by recalibrating the towers so the hotend is .5 mm higher than it already is and adding the plexiglass enclosure to once and for all eliminate this crap thought of having to babysit a print because of warping..

Return to “Troubleshooting”