What causes the nozzle to simply stop moving?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

What causes the nozzle to simply stop moving?

Post by EL Cuajinais »

I had two prints fail yesterday. Or rather, it was two attempts at the same print. In both cases the nozzle was resting on top of the uncompleted printed piece, with a blob of plastic below the nozzle. The other times I had seen this failure was when I was printing over USB and my laptop went to sleep. Is the nozzle getting stuck to the print?

There were no power outages, and I’m printing from an SD card. The one thing of note I can think of that this was a 100% infill print and this was a large area that was being filled with plastic, not simply walls. I have done quite a few 100% infill parts now but all others were more like walls. This one is the first where I’m trying to fill a large area. Would this have anything to with it?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: What causes the nozzle to simply stop moving?

Post by Mac The Knife »

Even though you were printing off the sd card, was the printer still hooked up to your laptop?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

Yes. It was. I think I've done it that way a million times before but, I maybe making a wrong assumption. I'll try it again tonight completely untethered. Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

One of the few times I tried using Mattercontrol, even though I was printing off the sdcard, when I shut down mattercontrol it stopped my print. There is a setting to prevent mattercontrol from automatically connecting to your printer.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

Tried it last night with the untethered from the computer and it finally printed. It is very possible this was the issue. Thanks!
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Post by wshiwsbrding »

so do you have to print from the sd card in order to prevent that from happening, and without the usb plugged in? What good is MatterControl if you cant continue a print after your comp falls asleep?
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Just change the power settings in your computer so it doesn't "fall asleep." I print all the time with the computer connected - some prints over 10 hours. I've not even tried printing from the SD card. It's okay if the screen saver comes on but you don't want the monitor or hard drives to actually shut down.
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

mvansomeren wrote:Just change the power settings in your computer so it doesn't "fall asleep." I print all the time with the computer connected - some prints over 10 hours. I've not even tried printing from the SD card. It's okay if the screen saver comes on but you don't want the monitor or hard drives to actually shut down.
That is exactly what happened to me. I have printed for 35 hours and as long as the computer doesn't go to sleep it works. The screen saver function doesn't cause a problem. I have not printed from the SD card.
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Sorry to hike this older thread, but I always like to search for answers before dropping questions ;-)
Even a simple machine like the Up Mini buffers it's printjob to the machines memory. Once a print starts you can plug out the computer or shut it down and the print will continu. I guess it is a firmware thing? Would that be hard to implement? I already had some failed prints because of the USB connectors on my laptop are not very tight. touching the USB cable by accident can lead to an immediate print stop...
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Delta, it's a combination. The Rambo board which is the stock controller doesn't have much memory left over (2K), which most programs would easily go well over, due to the need for the Delta Kinematics, and also due to the way mattercontrol closes if you quit it, it sends a set of reset commands to the printer. If you're printing off the SD card, disconnecting the USB and then closing mattercontrol works fine. If you're printing via mattercontrol, well, mattercontrol imitates the DNC standard best, in that it sends commands as they are needed, rather than attempting to load the whole job.

You also have the problem with the Max of having a MUCH larger potential print area, and more resolution potentially, so they won't try to load the whole model. One of my small models actually is 5 times the size of the memory the Rambo has available, and that's not much more than 2 CM tall, nor at a particularly high resolution.

the UP mini has built in flash for exactly this eventuality. so not exactly apples to oranges.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Yes, I understand... Would be nice though, perhaps V3? I also hear some people fix other controllerboards. Maybe that would be one of the benefits? Think that's rather rigorous.

Off-Topic: After you calling me Delta, a huge coin dropped in my head... I immediately made up signature to counter the negative association caused by my forum name... ;-)

geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Just print from the SD card. That's what it's for. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Yes, but I hate maneuvering the stone-age-style LCD with its knob navigation ;-)

Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Hey man, don't bitch too much about the knob. It could be an alphabetical keyboard, or worse, a Dvorak one, and make the base that much larger.

That being said, there are rumors that the V3 will have, depending on who you listen to, a Beagle-bone based controller, which means actual keyboard/screen, or a touch screen, a new edition of the RAMBO-like board from Ultimachine, with major upgrades, although it likely won't be called a RAMBO, because that stands for Rep-Rap-Arduino-Mega-Board-Osomething, which will likely support a better display and navigation, A smoothieboard ish thing, at this point likely a V2, which supports an improved LCD, and which 626 wants to get working with the Paneldue, which is a largish touch-screen which uses minimal controller resources to run, which is nice.

Personally, I really hope it's a BBB based controller, since the Manga screen looks so nice, as does the other BBB based hardware (replicape is what I've looked at most). But people have had issues with the BBB based software, largely Machinekit. the Replicape folks have their own, supposedly much easier set of software to work with called Redeem, which is supposed to work OotB. But delta geometry support is in their dev branch, not the stable branch currently. So maybe not ideal for something shipped with a kit printer, as mucking with software in development is more a thing for people who volunteered for it. (I plan to when the Reach goes to beta testers, sometime next year)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

All things you love come with some issues you don't like... ;-)
Let's be patient and see what future brings!

Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

DeltaCon wrote:All things you love come with some issues you don't like... ;-)
Let's be patient and see what future brings!
+1

Return to “Troubleshooting”