Printing with Polycarbonate

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
duvdev
Printmaster!

Printing with Polycarbonate

Post by duvdev »

Hi all,

I have some project for one of my customer that need to be printed in Polycarbonate.

I tried to print in 3 or 4 times but I had some problems.
It is very hard to get the polycarbonate stick to the bed I tried a range of temp and also kapton, ABS juice...

some can tell me how to get it stick to the bed?

a glue that is rich with PVA can work?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Printing with Polycarbonate

Post by IMBoring25 »

Did you promise it before you knew you could do it? In an enclosure, I've had some success with a Kapton bed at 130-140C. It'll take more voltage, from a dedicated PSU and run off an SSR, to get you there if that's the avenue you decide to try, and I suspect the enclosure is a requirement with that approach as well. I think I've read PVA glue helps, but I hate liquid adhesion promoters. I've also read a PEI bed will do the job with less-exotic temperatures and no funny-business, but I haven't personally tried it yet.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Re: Printing with Polycarbonate

Post by McSlappy »

Is it pure Polycarb or PC/ABS blend?

I'm not experienced with pure, but based on the blend you should have:
- an enclosure. It's like ABS on steroids. See 3rd point.
- at least 270º to bond well enough.
- FAST. If PC cools much it won't bond to itself. You may have to sacrifice quality to get the speed necessary
- larger nozzle and thicker beads. Go fast & get plenty of surface area to bond.

If you don't nail the temp/speed you'll end up with parts that break apart like weak filament.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”