Filament Issues

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Cox
Prints-a-lot

Filament Issues

Post by Cox »

When it rains it pours :)

So I went to put my filament (ABS or PLA) through the EZStruder and got it down through the tubing all the way down to the bowden on the extruder. When I click on extrude to push filament into the tip I cannot get the filament to move. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong or what I can post to help figure it out? I am at a loss! :mrgreen:

Also it it moving when I click it and I can manually turn it. Just nothing will move.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Re: Filament Issues

Post by lightninjay »

Check to make sure the tiny bearing attached to the red lever arm on the EZstruder is lined up with the hobbed gear on your stepper motor. If it isn't, the filament won't sit properly in the teeth to be fed down the bowden with force.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

You can get the extruder motor to turn but it won't extrude filament? I'm not 100% sure if that's what you're saying.

If the motor does turn but the filament won't move, check:

- tip of filament isn't catching on internals of hot end. Re-trim it.
- nozzle isn't blocked by something. turn it up and try again this can sometimes clear it
- hobbed gear hasn't moved or is slipping on the shaft. shaft slipping is good in some circumstances, but not in 3d printing.
- hobbed gear isn't too hot. I've seen a stepper go bad and heat the hobbed gear enough to melt the filament at the extruder!

let us know what it ends up being so we can learn.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
Cox
Prints-a-lot

Post by Cox »

So I am trying to take the EZStruder apart... (This was not built by me) and the hobbed gear is not aligned properly as I feared. I am having an extremely tough time getting the stepper knob off this thing. It is like stuck on. Any thoughts?
DSteck
Printmaster!

Post by DSteck »

Cox wrote:So I am trying to take the EZStruder apart... (This was not built by me) and the hobbed gear is not aligned properly as I feared. I am having an extremely tough time getting the stepper knob off this thing. It is like stuck on. Any thoughts?
Funny... I'm in the same boat. A buddy helped me assemble mine, and the EZstruder was one of the things he put together... The gear doesn't line up at all, and any attempts to loosen the set screw are useless. I ended up sanding down the back side of the EZstruder parts to make them sit closer to the stepper motor, but I ordered a new EZstruder setup and am going to just drill out the damn set screw. I noticed this problem a while ago, and one thing that helped (if the hobbed piece is too close to the motor) is to strap the hell out of the clear plastic piece to push the tensioner bearing into alignment.
Cox
Prints-a-lot

Post by Cox »

Ahhh its so annoying. I'll likely have to buy a new EZstruder.

Return to “Troubleshooting”