hot End getting plugged using abs regardless of manufacturer

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: hot End getting plugged using abs regardless of manufact

Post by teoman »

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is stated that it is 45.1 mm
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Well, i drilled it out pretty good and smooth, but no change. I am observing that the "track" on the filament from the extruder seems to have a smooth spot every 4/5th of an inch about 3mm long . so, good tread and then a flat spot. I wonder if the gear has some damage and during retraction it can't grip, but when it extrudes again it does catch and pushes too much? I think that is a real possibility because at this point, I have NO problem getting the first layer down...but the moment retraction starts its all over.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Check the hobbed gear, it could be that one part of it has some filament stuck in the teeth.

I used an electric tooth-brush to clean it, i was also observing the same thing, every cm or so, there was a deeper indentation. I cleaned the gear and now it did not happen a few times, not sure, i have lost traction on the filament a few times, so the problem may reappear. You may also try slowing down your retraction speeds. (says the guy who has not solved the problem yet... :) )
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

heh. Well, I ordered a new hobbed gear from SeeMeCNC because, theoretically, it HAS to wear away eventually. I've run 4,548m of filament through this printer so far. i cleaned it out with brushes and an exacto blade earlier this morning, and I also looked at it wit a lens. I don't think it's my retraction speed because I keep all my settings named according to the filament / manufacturer / temperature / nozzle diameter (ABS-MH-BLACK-0.5mm for example). I printed just fine with these settings for dozens of prints. I'd hate to fiddle with the retractions as a bandaid to a physical problem which i am convince this is. Regardless, between a new hobbed gear and a new Prometheus hot end, I am strongly feeling that the problem will go away. we shall see.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Quick update: After my super cleaning with an exacto knife and a magnifying glass, i was able to get my first successful ABS print done. it was a small (about the size of a 50c piece) so i am trying something larger now. But at least it was the first successfull print I've had in about a week. I did fine some slivers of ABS between the "mouth" part of the teeth, not the wedge parts. I thought I had cleaned it all out already but apparently not. Let's see if this lasts.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

I replaced the hobbed gear, installed the Prometheus, and replaced a blown fuse. All I can say is going from the stock hot end to the prometheus feels a bit like going from a Nissan to a Ferrari. This hot end prints like silk. i am printing about 3x faster and am not even pushing to its max yet. I also observe that the ABS I am printing seems to flow easier at a lower temperature than with the stock hot end and it is very very smooth coming out, even at 210. I used to have to run it at 225c or higher. So, extremely happy at this point. it's amazing the difference.

Return to “Troubleshooting”