Need help with Octoprint

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Need help with Octoprint

Post by longshot »

To All:

I know there is a seperate topic to discuss Octopi and Octoprint but the last activity on that board was back in july so i'm not sure how much foot traffic that board gets.

So I recently aquired a Raspberry Pi2. I followed the instructions, loaded up Octopi image, and connected.

-Running Geneb's 0.91 Repetier Host
-I've expanded the file system
-Updated the wifi (I use an Edimax USB wifi adapter)
-Connected and enabled a webcam.
-Found my IP and connected via another computer on the net or SSH

So here's the issue. I can get into the Gui, I can even connect and see that the machine is listed as "operational" but I'm unable to get it to move, home, send G-code commands, etc. When i connect, the printer reboots like and goes through the normal title screen like i would connect with any other host (repeteir, mattercontrol, etc). But i get zero movement. The temps aren't even plotted.

I've tried multiple baud rates: 250000,115200,57600 . Each time i go into the eeprom through mattercontrol, change the number and save to eeprom. So I make sure the printer is matched up to web client/pi on connection.

I've googled multiple times with no indication that a similar problem exists, is there something I'm missing? It can't be a firewall issue, I'm able to see the pi, connect via SSH. It shouldn't be a printer communication error, because the machine boots up like the connection is made. Pulling my hair out, i don't understand how some folks have such an easy time connecting and i'm stuck all weekend not making any headway. Please help.
thedoble
Printmaster!

Re: Need help with Octoprint

Post by thedoble »

So sending a 'home all axes' does nothing?
I'll take a look at my config tomorrow.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Post by longshot »

thedoble wrote:So sending a 'home all axes' does nothing?
I'll take a look at my config tomorrow.
No dice I'm afraid. I hit the little arrows but nothing happens, the little home buttons don't work, and I've even tried to send a G28 command in the Terminal to no avail. Is there something in the Repetier Firmware that is preventing me from sending commands? The weird thing is I get no temperature read out on the graphs. The webcam is working though not that it helps much.

FYI Serial Port set as /dev/ttyACM0
blackrabt
Prints-a-lot

Post by blackrabt »

Oh I had a similar issue when I started with Octoprint last week. Let me see if I can remember how I got past it. I will be back to update this after some investigation.

To verify, you are showing that you are connected to your printer and it is marked operational? Do you get a still image from your webcam on the control panel? Is there even a single point of data on your temperature page?

What model pi are you using? I tried initially with a v1 model B but am having a better time with the v1 B+. Also I would stick with the 250000 baud rate, as that is the default for the rostock. Definitely was worth a try though.

You seem to know what you are doing but perhaps this youtuber can help. His videos are a reagular watch for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsxO3ksxm4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
octoprint sample.png
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

back in the day when i was running RAMBo, i think i had to drop connection down to 9600 first, then work my way up. you want to ensure that all your main components are at least working together at first (who cares about speed at this point). Start back at square one, direct connect your printer to the PI and no other USB devices. See if the USB devices list pull down populates.
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

Check that you have these settings configured on your printer profile:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Rumb23I.jpg[/img]

Also take a look at the terminal page and switch off the suppression checkboxes, you should see a looping 'wait' command.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nCwaVig.jpg[/img]

If you don't see the wait command, it's a communication problem. If you do, it's something else.
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Post by longshot »

Ok so here's what i've done:

I've sent an lsusb command at the pi and came up with the following (printer unplugged, ethernet is the only thing plugged in)

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
When i plug the printer in and try the same command i get the following:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 27b1:0001
So it does see that something is connected, see last line.

I've edited my Printer profile based on what thedoble has. Still no dice.
  • Temp doesn't read a thing. Everything is grayed out.
    I can't send any commands
    Web Cam is working
The log shows the following:

Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
Connected to: Serial<id=0x32e57d0, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
Send: M110
Recv: start
Recv: Info:External Reset
Recv: Free RAM:1019
Recv: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00
Recv: SD init fail
Recv: ok
Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Operational'
Send: M21
Recv: ok 0
Send: M105
Let me ask you guys this . . . would this have anything to do with the fact that I'm running a dual extruder setup and a Cyclops hot end? I'm just seeing this, now. . . M105 is a command to initiate a call out for temps, right? If I tell the system I have two extruders . . . but they are sharing the same thermistor would that cause issues? There isn't anything hooked up on the 2nd thermistor. I'm guessing this because it looks like M105 is the last command given, there is no more log after that.
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

Everything looks fine there, I'm in the middle of a print right now so I can't reconnect my printer to see what output I get in my log, once I can though I'll post it here.
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

Here's what I get when I connect:

Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
Connected to: Serial<id=0x3036e30, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=250000, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
Recv: ok
Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Operational'
Send: M21
Recv: ok 44766
Send: M104 S0
Send: M140 S0
Recv: TargetExtr0:0
Send: G28
Send: M84
Send: M115
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Repetier_091S FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-091-ROSTOCKMAX PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:ROSTOCK MAX EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 REPETIER_PROTOCOL:2
Recv: Printed filament:3681.15m Printing time:21 days 11 hours 17 min
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Repetier_091S FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-091-ROSTOCKMAX PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:ROSTOCK MAX EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 REPETIER_PROTOCOL:2
Recv: wait
Send: M105
Recv: T:28.41 B:29.76 B@:0 @:0
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Longshot your baud rate is 115200, the Max V2 uses 250000. That is the biggest discrepency that I see.
I don't believe that it will ever work if your baud rate is not 250000.
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

As I recall, I had to set my printer to 115200, rather than octoprint to 250000. I think there was some issue running octoprint at 250000, at least last year when I set up my octoprint server.

Now I don't know about updates, I did not check into that.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

With this new product being sold by SeeMeCNC
[img]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0276/2 ... 1452609609[/img]
http://www.seemecnc.com/collections/par ... rinter-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I expect you will see more threads on Octoprint and Astroprint http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/c/Cool_Projects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

isn't an SD card a requirement of the Octoprint on the Pi? your Init has the SD as a "Fail"...just checking all the corners here
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

Neptune wrote:isn't an SD card a requirement of the Octoprint on the Pi? your Init has the SD as a "Fail"...just checking all the corners here
Nah, this refers to whether or not there's an SD card installed in the printer :)
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

did you try setting the baud rates on both your printer and octoprint to 9600? it must match for it to work.
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

I could never get connected below a 250000 baud rate. It always gave a connection failure.

I was able to get it to connect after getting Pyserial for my raspberry pi and setting my V2 to 250000 baud rate. I discussed that here.
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

thedoble wrote:
Neptune wrote:isn't an SD card a requirement of the Octoprint on the Pi? your Init has the SD as a "Fail"...just checking all the corners here
Nah, this refers to whether or not there's an SD card installed in the printer :)
Hum, If I try remembering, I also had issues with octoprint when no SD card was present in the printer. I can't recall what issues, though... since I keep an SD in there all the time.
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Post by longshot »

So I've been trying all the different solutions. I've reloaded the firmware, tried and matched multiple baud rates, with no luck. So I looked online at a program called Astroprint. Its another PI/Linux flavor print server similar to Octopi. I loaded up the firmware, it connected to may network just fine, camera works, and my machine actually moves. I'm able to home it, jog the machine left right up and down.

I am still not able to send G code commands to it directly but I'm able to manual control it. So that's a start.

Something curious that did happen on setup was when i connected my printer. It'll typically identify what kind of USB device is detected. For example if you use an Arduino Mega, it'll say Arduino Mega. I'm running a V1 Rostock with one of the original Rambo boards. For some reason the USB device is detected at BAUD 250000 but the device says unknown.

It still lets me go through the process at which i can start to manually control the printer. Again I cant send any G-Code. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with me running Repetier 0.91S while astroprint primarily recognizes Marlin and Sailfish.

Could all my issues be because I'm running a stock Rambo Board?

For now I'm going to try and splice it using mattercontrol and send it over to print, wish me luck. . .
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I've tried AstroPrint as well this week and I'm not impressed. Transferring files dies at 2% - I've yet to be able to print anything with it.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

I run a stock Rambo - my printer is 100% stock other than the hot end
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

So far repetier server has worked the best for me but none have been 100% reliable. I'm trying a RADDS board now, so far I haven't had an issue. I had lots of problems with the USB connection on the RAMBO
Repetier server is made for Repetier firmware, you can edit eeprom or even flash firmware with it.
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Post by longshot »

Looks like its working . . . I'm slicing using MatterControl since my settings are in place and then sending the Gcode over to the PI. Its not a perfect setup but it did a decent job. Thanks . . . Octoprint not connecting and Astroprint still defining the board as unknown is still mystery. Perhaps one day I'll replace it for something else and get better results.
REV
Prints-a-lot

Post by REV »

Having the seemingly the same issue as you with a stock Rambo board and Octoprint. Did you ever figure this out? :?

Return to “Troubleshooting”