trying to mount trick trucks

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
TMIB
Printmaster!

trying to mount trick trucks

Post by TMIB »

Along with my Rostock, I also purchased a set of trick trucks from Tricklaser. It looks like the stock ball joint arms can be connected directly to them. (edit: nope, looks like a spacer of some sort is needed.) However I am planning on upgrading my arms at a future point as well. Rather than going with carbon fiber, I have some aluminum tubing here that should work well, and some traxxas ball joints.

The Rostock kit came with a set of tabs that can be mounted on the effector, thus allowing for a 3mm axle to be mounted there for each set of arms. However on the carriage end of the arms, I'll need a U-joint piece to attach the arms to.

I see that Tricklaser sells injection-molded versions of these on their site, and I may end up going that route. In the meantime though, I was thinking of printing off a set. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find them anywhere. I printed the carriage u-joint that I found for the previous model Rostock Max (https://github.com/seemecnc/RostockMAX/ ... 0Mount.STL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but it's not the right one- the holes in it do not line up with the holes in the trick trucks.

Is there an STL out there for the correct carriage arm mount?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: trying to mount trick trucks

Post by geneb »

If your kit included the injection molded carriages, you don't need the trick trucks at all. If you got the new carriages, you likely got the ball-cup arms as well and those don't need upgrading either.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

+1

matches my experience, got both.
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

Ah, lovely.

A bunch of folks recommended that I get the trucks and different arms as a starting upgrade, but I assume they were using the older version of carriages and arms. I do indeed have the injection molded carriages and ball cup arms.

Anyone wanna buy a set of assembled Trick Trucks? :)
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

If you get two responses, I know where there is a second set. ;)

gary
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

The molded plastic carriages are a big improvement over the original "cheapskate" design, they do work quite well.
No mod or upgrade to the Rostock MAX v2 is really "necessary" ...however the Trick Trucks do provide more rigidity, precision, and smoothness. Trick Truck wheels have TWO bearings per wheel which totally eliminates any play from wheels tipping on axles. The finely adjustable wheel tension enables you to get truck "action" just right... no play or flex with the least amount of rolling resistance as possible.
True, the I.M. carriages spring loaded wheel tension require no adjustment and are very easy to install, but I feel they have a bit to much pressure on the wheels causing flat spots on wheels when machine sits idle for a few days. They do smooth out somewhat after running machine for a few hours.

I often get emails asking what mods are needed for a new v2 build, I always say to build it bone stock first then decide if you "need/want" any changes.
The v2 is a fine machine that works very well completely stock.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bvandiepenbos wrote:The molded plastic carriages are a big improvement over the original "cheapskate" design, they do work quite well.
No mod or upgrade to the Rostock MAX v2 is really "necessary" ...however the Trick Trucks do provide more rigidity, precision, and smoothness. Trick Truck wheels have TWO bearings per wheel which totally eliminates any play from wheels tipping on axles. The finely adjustable wheel tension enables you to get truck "action" just right... no play or flex with the least amount of rolling resistance as possible.
True, the I.M. carriages spring loaded wheel tension require no adjustment and are very easy to install, but I feel they have a bit to much pressure on the wheels causing flat spots on wheels when machine sits idle for a few days. They do smooth out somewhat after running machine for a few hours.

I often get emails asking what mods are needed for a new v2 build, I always say to build it bone stock first then decide if you "need/want" any changes.
A good, honest answer from someone who owns his own business. I love your attitude and the things you sell.
Will be ordering another Prometheus soon or may have to wait and pick one up at the Fair in March.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

nitewatchman wrote:If you get two responses, I know where there is a second set. ;)

gary

Don't misunderstand my answer, I used the Trick Trucks for about a year. Liked them, worked well. I moved to the ball arms for the ball joints and it is a good complete system with the IM Trucks.

Just have these extra Trucks now.

gary
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

bvandiepenbos wrote:The molded plastic carriages are a big improvement over the original "cheapskate" design, they do work quite well.

Do you have a pattern for a spacer to mount the ball & cup arms to the trick trucks? Ideally something where I can use those nice end stop thumbscrews you sell. :)

If not, no biggie, I'm sure I can put something together in openSCAD.

Thanks!
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

TMIB wrote: Do you have a pattern for a spacer to mount the ball & cup arms to the trick trucks? Ideally something where I can use those nice end stop thumbscrews you sell. :)

Thanks!
This! It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to draw one up in some from of CAD though right? Has anyone done it yet?
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

TFMike wrote:
TMIB wrote: Do you have a pattern for a spacer to mount the ball & cup arms to the trick trucks? Ideally something where I can use those nice end stop thumbscrews you sell. :)

Thanks!
This! It shouldn't be too terribly difficult to draw one up in some from of CAD though right? Has anyone done it yet?
Here is a bracket I drew to mount ball-cup arms to Trick Trucks...
http://repables.com/r/716/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would work on old v1 Cheapskate carriages also.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Thanks Bvandy, that's quite dandy.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Great addition to the Trick Trucks.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

TMIB wrote: I see that Tricklaser sells injection-molded versions of these on their site, and I may end up going that route. In the meantime though, I was thinking of printing off a set. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find them anywhere. I printed the carriage u-joint that I found for the previous model Rostock Max (https://github.com/seemecnc/RostockMAX/ ... 0Mount.STL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but it's not the right one- the holes in it do not line up with the holes in the trick trucks.

Is there an STL out there for the correct carriage arm mount?
I couldn't find the STL either, so I found the IGS file in the Orion repository and converted it into an STL. I needed the file for one of my own projects anyway.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxYSt_ ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

And if the file I posted doesn't look like the part that you have... When SeeMeCNC switched to the clip style arms, they started cutting off the outer set of yokes. They're actually the exact same part, just modified.

[img]http://tricklaser.com/images/Trick%20La ... 999%5D.jpg[/img]

[img]http://tricklaser.com/images/Arm_Mount- ... MAX-01.jpg[/img]
TMIB
Printmaster!

Post by TMIB »

bvandiepenbos wrote:
Here is a bracket I drew to mount ball-cup arms to Trick Trucks...
http://repables.com/r/716/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would work on old v1 Cheapskate carriages also.
One note on this: if you are using one of the longer sheet metal screws to attach the ball mounts to this carriage, and the long endstop thumbscrews, the right mounting screw will interfere with the thumbscrew slightly. Not a big problem, but if you put the thumbscrew in, then the sheet metal screw, it locks the thumbscrew in place so it can no longer be adjusted. This is either a problem or a feature, depending on how you want to use it. (It could be a useful way to ensure the thumbscrews don't move.) In my case I wanted to be able to continue to adjust them, so I just used a shorter screw to mount the ball joints to the bracket. (I think it was a computer enclosure screw that I had.)

Either way, thanks for making these brackets, I'm using them on my machine now and am enjoying using the Trick Trucks with the ball & cup arms
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

TMIB wrote:This is either a problem or a feature, depending on how you want to use it.
You must work in IT. We say that all the time :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”