Hate to say it, but i've run out of ideas...

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Agisis
Printmaster!

Hate to say it, but i've run out of ideas...

Post by Agisis »

Hey all,
Been a while since i posted, and a while since I had a problem, but now i have a problem and not sure how to address it. A few weeks ago, I woke up one day and my prints started to look like the attached.

Things I have tried:
1) Clearing the EEPROM and reloading Repetier from the ground up
2) Tightening all of the belts.
3) Examining each belt to make sure no teeth have been ground off or something
4) Slowed my prints down SUPER slow
5) Sped my prints up SUPER fast.
6) Changed Filament
7) Verified my settings matched my nozzle side (0.4mm)

Observations:
1) I own a prometheus. There is a little play in the nozzle, but there was always play in the nozzle and this didn't happen before
2) The ZAxis seems to be solid, but Y and X seem to "offset" for some reason. Meaning, the piece is solid.

Bottom line is, the edges are jagged and then the macro level view is that the pieces bend one way or another. Here is the kicker. I would think that if it was a mechanical issue with one of the motors, the effect would be the same with each print. It's not. Every print I do, it bends one way or another and is not consistent.

Anyone see this before? I don't like it when things automagically start happening. Even moreso when I cannot seem to be able to logically dissect this problem. Please help.
Attachments
Look how it bends at the top edges
Look how it bends at the top edges
see the jagged sides
see the jagged sides
banding is due to the offsetting.
banding is due to the offsetting.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hate to say it, but i've run out of ideas...

Post by Jimustanguitar »

With the power off, does your print head move freely in all directions? I wonder if you're having some kind of snag or bind with the u-joints.

It sounds like you've checked the belts, what about the pulleys? Are the set screws uniformly tight?

What about your cheapskates? Any flat spots or wheels that are loose enough to spin without moving the assembly?
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Hey,
I'll check those items next. I will say that there was an "event" that happened a while back, but I did not notice it affect my prints. One of the construction items in the manual should be updated to include putting the blue threadlock on the little nuts that hold the end-stops on. Over months, they slowly unspun and at some point during a print, the endstop became detached and the little nuts fell on the bed. When it went "home", omg the sound and flapping belts. I turned it off immediately and checked for damage but didn't really see any. I had successful prints after reattaching it (and adding threadlock to the nuts), but I thought I would mention that as well.

OK, so I will check: UJoints, Pulleys, Pulley Screws, Cheapskates (these are the newly modified ones). I will do that tonight and get back to you. Thanks for your advice so far.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Check the motors aswell when i first went over my printer after a year i noticed that the motors were loose. Looks like the melamine had compressed and created some slack.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Agisis wrote: the endstop became detached and the little nuts fell on the bed. When it went "home", omg the sound and flapping belts. I turned it off immediately and checked for damage but didn't really see any.
I think the bark is worse than the bite on that one. I've had that happen as well, although it was because my screws didn't line up with the switch perfectly. As long as you don't jam the hotend into the glass and break one or the other, it's just startling and not much else, luckily.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

I have some great new! It turned out to be the play in the Prometheus tip. I took it apart and realized that there were two small screws that were supports to go into the body that lock the main tube screw in place. I completely forgot to put them in. Good grief. How did I get such good prints the for so long? Dumb luck I guess! So what would happen is any friction at all would cause the head to wobble a millimeter or two and depending upon the pattern, I would get strange things. On the bright side, the belts have been tightened, the cheapskate wheels are clean, the debris from the belts are cleaned up and all the screws are tightened. I had a really great print come out so i am very VERY happy again. Thanks!
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

Glad you found the answer

What's the benefit of a Prometheus versus an e3dv6 ?

Seems like everyone runs the e3d and this is the first I've heard of the Prometheus.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

I never owned the e3dv6. But i can tell you that I have been exceedingly happy with the prometheus. It's got a really sweet design to it and is a lot cheaper than the evd36. Had I followed the instructions in the first place, I wouldn't have had this issue, so blame the operator not the part, heh. The filament comes out like silk and it heats up so fast. I love it
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

The Prometheus has a one piece nozzle, and is much more configurable. It also beat E3D to the punch on steel nozzles for abrasive filaments. But that one piece nozzle should reduce PLA jamming issues, and the steel lasts longer than brass (although not as long as hardened steel). E3D does make it easier to change nozzle sizes, and each one is a little cheaper (I think, I haven't checked recently), as well as having more variety of sizes. Personally, I like the freedom of the E3D to change nozzles without dismounting the whole hotend and taking it apart, and don't print much PLA, so the increased jamming with it doesn't matter to me. In theory, the E3D's narrow heatbreak should give it slightly improved performance there, although I doubt it's noticeable, and it is a bit of a potential week spot.

Nicest thing about Prometheus in my admittedly arrogant opinion: Ultimate flexibility, but slower to switch around. (as far as heating/cooling, not quite so many nozzle size options. .3, .4, .6, and 1 )
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

great summary!

Return to “Troubleshooting”