Rostock Max not work

Here's where you can find the official (and unofficial too) things like assembly instructions etc...
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Rostock Max not work

Post by modellazione3d »

Hello everyone, from one month i use the Rostock Max 3d printer.
Yesterday I had a problem that still is not solved.
I connected my Rostock via the USB cable to my laptop, but for the first time after a month Windows reported an error : " device not recognized " , even the Repetier Host does not work, when I click on "Connect " appears an error message " COM 6 does not exist."
I tried the Arduino IDE to change the serial port , but the pull-down menu appears locked up and I can not select another COM port .
When I launch the serial monitor instead I get this error:

processing.app.SerialNotFoundException : Serial port ' COM3 ' not found. Check the port in Tools > Serial Port .
at processing.app.Serial . <init> ( Serial.java : 191 )
at processing.app.Serial . <init> ( Serial.java : 92 )
at processing.app.SerialMonitor.openSerialPort ( SerialMonitor.java : 207)
at processing.app.Editor.handleSerial ( Editor.java : 2481 )
at processing.app.EditorToolbar.mousePressed ( EditorToolbar.java : 353 )
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent ( Component.java : 6260 )
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent ( JComponent.java : 3267 )
at java.awt.Component.processEvent ( Component.java : 6028 )
at java.awt.Container.processEvent ( Container.java : 2041 )
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl ( Component.java : 4630 )
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl ( Container.java : 2099 )
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent ( Component.java : 4460 )
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent ( Container.java : 4574 )
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent ( Container.java : 4235 )
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent ( Container.java : 4168 )
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl ( Container.java : 2085 )
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl ( Window.java : 2475 )
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent ( Component.java : 4460 )
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent ( EventQueue.java : 599 )
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters ( EventDispatchThread.java : 269 )
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter ( EventDispatchThread.java : 184 )
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy ( EventDispatchThread.java : 174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents ( EventDispatchThread.java : 169 )
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents ( EventDispatchThread.java : 161 )
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run ( EventDispatchThread.java : 122)

What should I do ?
Tomorrow I have a demonstration with Rostock Max in an elementary school , I do not want to miss this opportunity .
Please help me!!!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock Max not work

Post by geneb »

Try plugging it into a different USB port if possible. You may also want to re-install the RAMBo driver to see if that resolves it. When you got the "Device not recognized" error, it was game over at that point. There was no point in trying Repetier or the Arduino IDE.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Post by modellazione3d »

In my PC there are only two USB ports. Until yesterday I could plug the USB cable in both Rostock and it worked . Today one of the two doors does not signal the printer input and the other when I insert the cable brings me the error that I described earlier. I tried reinstalling the drivers for Rambo, but windows says that the driver is properly installed even after you uninstall everything and will not let me reinstall the drivers.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Have you tried plugging the machine into a different computer?

g.
Delta Power!
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Post by modellazione3d »

I tried it and got the same results.
Just connect the USB cable is a windows error messages (code 10 or code 43 ) and says that the device is not recognized. By the manual, I go on device manager and install the driver Rambo, but at the end of installation it says "the driver is installed correctly, but it may not work, error code 10.
I have tears in my eyes, it is possible that Rambo is defective?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

If it doesn't work on another computer, it's possible that you blew up the controller. Contact [email protected]

g.
Delta Power!
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Post by modellazione3d »

I found the problem! Connector of the thermistor came into contact with the connector on the hot end. I have separated them and insulated with Kapton and I immediately solves everything.
When turn it on, Rostock worked immediately and reallocated the COM that I had set 1 month ago ! The small vibrations generated by the latest prints have made ​​to move a little off, I better fix and use a connector with insulated protection. I was afraid it was burned my Rambo.

This time I was lucky =)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You are VERY, VERY, VERY lucky that you didn't destroy the RAMBo when that short happened.

g
Delta Power!
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Post by modellazione3d »

Yes, really really luck ^ _ ^
But at this point I'm thinking that in Rambo there is a security system that acts as a "life saver" for the normal electrical current.
This thing is real, or i am just been kissed by an angel?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Nope, you're lucky. Most people that short the thermistor against the hot end power blow up the RAMBo, the thermistor, or both.

g.
Delta Power!
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

:? Those life saving features are implemented in the next Rambo version.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

lordbinky wrote::? Those life saving features are implemented in the next Rambo version.
Isn't it always that way? Those features will be implemented in the next version. Just plunk down another
$200 and have a great card (until next year) and one obsolete card. That is one of the reasons I like the Ramps,
or Rumba. You can upgrade parts of the card instead of the whole card not to mention they can be more easily
and less costly to repair.
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Post by modellazione3d »

Fortunately everything works. Only the thermistor has failed and Repetier shows such as temperature -20 ° C absolutely have to order them a new one. But I want to ask you if you can replace the Hot End with a simpler version as J-Head MKV. Compared to that currently in use the J-Head is less articulated, that uses the thermistor is identical. The only difference I noticed is in the resistances, the J-Head only uses one, you think that change anything?
I want to make this change because I believe that the Hot End that I'm currently using is very uncomfortable and I do not like the wires of the thermistor should be folded to be mounted properly.
Appearance your advice before making an order. I'm a noob in 3d printing, but I really want to experiment and improve my knowledge, even though where I live is very difficult to find any material as a simple thermistor, I have to wait an average 3 weeks: (
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

modellazione3d wrote:Fortunately everything works. Only the thermistor has failed and Repetier shows such as temperature -20 ° C absolutely have to order them a new one. But I want to ask you if you can replace the Hot End with a simpler version as J-Head MKV. Compared to that currently in use the J-Head is less articulated, that uses the thermistor is identical. The only difference I noticed is in the resistances, the J-Head only uses one, you think that change anything?
I want to make this change because I believe that the Hot End that I'm currently using is very uncomfortable and I do not like the wires of the thermistor should be folded to be mounted properly.
Appearance your advice before making an order. I'm a noob in 3d printing, but I really want to experiment and improve my knowledge, even though where I live is very difficult to find any material as a simple thermistor, I have to wait an average 3 weeks: (
The hotend that you presently have should be fine for most applications, you just have to ensure that you dress the wires properly so that there is no chance of shorting out wires,
but that is true of any hotend that you would use. You found out the hard way that the way the wires are done is very important.
A j-head hotend is still going to be wired basically the same as the hotend you have now, the fact that it uses one resistor or two is not that important, the wires still have to ran
without any possibility of shorts. The j-head would probably print PLA filament better than the hotend you have now but you would have to have the parts to mount it, and I am
not sure that you do. There are other options that I will give you links to that make it easier to wire a hotend, I just want to show you what they are in case you can get these
type of parts.
To emininate a lot of the problems with wiring the thermistor you could use a screw in type of thermistor, this is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modular-Screw-o ... 4ac8fc622a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could use a ceramic heating cartridge instead of resistor in your hotend, this is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reprap-12V-40W- ... 4ac879abdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You would only use one cartridge, not two.

I am simply trying to show you the options available to make it easier to wire a hotend. The parts are probably hard to get where you live but I wanted to show you what is
available. Again, the J-Head is an option but I fear that you don't have the parts to mount it in your printer and I'm not sure that it would offer many advantages over what
you have now unless you plan to print a lot of PLA. Both types print ABS about the same. As long as you inspect your wires before printing you should be fine.
Happy Printing!
modellazione3d
Plasticator

Post by modellazione3d »

[quote= The hotend that you presently have should be fine for most applications, you just have to ensure that you dress the wires properly so that there is no chance of shorting out wires,
but that is true of any hotend that you would use. You found out the hard way that the way the wires are done is very important.
A j-head hotend is still going to be wired basically the same as the hotend you have now, the fact that it uses one resistor or two is not that important, the wires still have to ran
without any possibility of shorts. The j-head would probably print PLA filament better than the hotend you have now but you would have to have the parts to mount it, and I am
not sure that you do. There are other options that I will give you links to that make it easier to wire a hotend, I just want to show you what they are in case you can get these
type of parts.
To emininate a lot of the problems with wiring the thermistor you could use a screw in type of thermistor, this is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modular-Screw-o ... 4ac8fc622a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could use a ceramic heating cartridge instead of resistor in your hotend, this is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reprap-12V-40W- ... 4ac879abdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You would only use one cartridge, not two.

I am simply trying to show you the options available to make it easier to wire a hotend. The parts are probably hard to get where you live but I wanted to show you what is
available. Again, the J-Head is an option but I fear that you don't have the parts to mount it in your printer and I'm not sure that it would offer many advantages over what
you have now unless you plan to print a lot of PLA. Both types print ABS about the same. As long as you inspect your wires before printing you should be fine.
Happy Printing![/quote]

I can use the thermistor screw in my current hot end?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I can use the thermistor screw in my current hot end?[/quote]

You would have to drill out the hole where the thermistor goes with a 2.5mm drill bit, then tap the hole with a 3mm bottoming tap.
Then you can use the screw in thermistor. Regrettably no hotend comes prepared to use the screw in thermistor they all would
have to be drilled and tapped.

Return to “Rostock MAX Official Docs”