Telescope Video Finder Mount

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Telescope Video Finder Mount

Post by Lightpath »

This is a finder mount for a Mallincam Micro-EX. I use it as a finder for my telescope that I am slowly converting to fully robotic operation. The idea is that I have a window open with the output of the video finder, with a crosshairs overlay, and I use it to point the main scope. The camera on the main scope then feeds the telescope image back to my computer.

Visible in the image of the three individual pieces are the raised circular "guides" that help things stay more or less aligned in that axis while making adjustments. I don't think they are necessary, but getting them to fit into their respective female slots was a good exercise. The tabs on the side of the u-shaped piece are for cable strain relief. I run the cable in a loop twice through those tabs, then zip tie them in place to keep the cables from fraying where they enter the camera.

Printed in black PLA.

Thanks for looking, this is the first set of objects I designed from scratch, and I'm thrilled with the results. I've already mounted and aligned it on the scope, it works perfectly. Functionally it has changed the game with respect to pointing the telescope remotely. Now if only it hadn't clouded over...

Washers and lock nuts were added later. I just wanted to pose it for the camera.

Lightpath.
Attachments
Left side of the assembled bracket.
Left side of the assembled bracket.
Right side of the assembled bracket
Right side of the assembled bracket
These are the three components.
These are the three components.
Last edited by Lightpath on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Telescope Video Finder Mount

Post by Captain Starfish »

Nice one: love seeing these beasts being out to practical work!
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

Thanks-

I'm all practical. I'm really not into 3d printing for the sake of 3d printing... I bought the max as a tool, to make things for my astronomy/radio habits. It is working wonderfully as a really functional piece of equipment.

I find the whole process of designing/printing/troubleshooting thrilling.

What really amazes me is that they print as well as they do with as little knowledge/skill as I have.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nice design and finished product!
Great Job!
DocHogan
Prints-a-lot

Post by DocHogan »

Are you using an SCT, or a Dobsonian/Newtonian reflector? If an SCT (or derivative) I can recommend some things to take it way beyond that notch ;) )

Return to “What are YOU making?”