Amazed by small intricate print

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
imagebuff
Prints-a-lot

Amazed by small intricate print

Post by imagebuff »

This is "Groot" from Guardians of the Galaxy printed really small - 70mm x 55mm. Cannot tell it's been 3D printed!

Chris
2014-09-06-IMG_4016.jpg
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Re: Amazed by small intricate print

Post by Glacian22 »

Welp, I know what I'm printing next!
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Nice print!! I was thinking about printing it in some wood filled filament.
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
imagebuff
Prints-a-lot

Post by imagebuff »

First time I've tried the .35mm nozzle w/ .05 layer height on the Max V2. I'm blown away as I can no longer see layer lines at all!!
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

imagebuff wrote:First time I've tried the .35mm nozzle w/ .05 layer height on the Max V2. I'm blown away as I can no longer see layer lines at all!!

What kind of print speed did you use??
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
imagebuff
Prints-a-lot

Post by imagebuff »

45mm/sec

Extremely small part so layer to layer transition is easily too fast for appropriate cooling.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Wow. Those are some nice lines... or lack thereof. What nozzle size was that to get it that detailed without the lines present?
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

Tinyhead wrote:Wow. Those are some nice lines... or lack thereof. What nozzle size was that to get it that detailed without the lines present?
imagebuff wrote:First time I've tried the .35mm nozzle w/ .05 layer height on the Max V2. I'm blown away as I can no longer see layer lines at all!!
He mentioned it's a .35 nozzle. I just ordered one from SeeMeCNC to swap around with my stock .5 nozzle!
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

I've had a .35mm nozzle in my possession for a couple of weeks and this awesome print inspired me to give it a try.

After installing the nozzle and starting my print I noticed that the extruder was moving much faster than it was when I had the other stock 0.5mm nozzle. I am using kisslicer and printing from SD card. I just changed the settings in Kisslicer for nozzle diameter and extrusion width to 0.35mm. Did I miss something?

I was worried about the faster speed of the extruder, but it all looked amazing for a half hour of printing, so I left it to finish up unattended and when I came back to see the finished product it was more and more filament starved as it went along.

I was wondering if I should be tweaking anything like temperature or speed to make it work, or if I missed a setting for the nozzle or EEPROM setting or something.

Thanks!
imagebuff
Prints-a-lot

Post by imagebuff »

Is your extruder making a clicking noise? Skipping? I ask because mine does if I try to run at any real speed. Head pressure is greater with the smaller nozzle I guess.

Try this (I use Simplify3D)

Use .42 for extrusion width
Slow down the head speed
bump up PLA temp to 215 or so.. That is what is working with Jet PLA
make sure your using the cooling fan on layer 2 and up

- Try cranking up your extrusion multiplier until its no longer starved in the print.

Chris
Last edited by imagebuff on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The smaller the nozzle size, the slower you have to print. Don't mess with the flow multiplier.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

Thanks for this! I plugged in your numbers for extrusion width and upped my temperature. I have some improvement, but still having starvation issues but to a lesser extent.

I believe the issue is something wonky in Kisslicer, because I have the speed set to 10mm/sec and the extruder head is really moving a lot faster than that. I tried speeding it up and it seems that the speed setting did not have any effect.

With my 0.5mm nozzle, it works fine, and I can control the speed. I am not sure where it's going crazy, but it sure looks like the speed is too high and I can't slow it down.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

geneb wrote:The smaller the nozzle size, the slower you have to print. Don't mess with the flow multiplier.

g.
I think this is the issue, but it looks like something is making the speed go too fast when I print this from kisslicer using an SDcard to print.

Return to “What are YOU making?”