Rostock Max V2 - Spool Spin Smoother

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Agisis
Printmaster!

Rostock Max V2 - Spool Spin Smoother

Post by Agisis »

I grew tired of seeing the entire machine shake everytime the extruder tried to pull in some filament. Obviously, it's square up there and the inner part of the spool is round. So, here is something I threw together. Need a little bit of super glue to hold it together, but it sure made a difference in the smoothness. I've seen a lot of complete spool overhaul prints, but nothing that just snaps onto what you already got. Does anyone think this is Thingiverse worthy?
Attachments
SpoolSpin3D.jpg
SpoolSpinFinalOnPlate.jpg
SpoolSpinFinalSub.jpg
SpoolSpinFinal.jpg
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock Max V2 - Spool Spin Smoother

Post by Captain Starfish »

I like what you've done with the mouse ears in the model for bed adhesion, and the thinking behind the "no support" two part approach.

If it works, that's a bonus too!

My concerns (and you'll only know by trying) would be that it still had enough friction to bump, and might be too big to fit into some spools - the nylon from Amazon (desert extrusions, I think?) has tiny holes on the spool.

As to Thingiverse, the amount of crap on there - especially "here's a model I designed, I've never printed it or used it but I'll just throw it here anyway" type of models that can't physically be printed - would indicate that the concept of "thingiverse worthy" is utterly non-existent.

It's a cool design. Do Thingiverse users a favour though. Run your print it for a few prints and if you still like it, post it. With photos to prove that it can be done :)
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Captain Starfish wrote:As to Thingiverse, the amount of crap on there - especially "here's a model I designed, I've never printed it or used it but I'll just throw it here anyway" type of models that can't physically be printed - would indicate that the concept of "thingiverse worthy" is utterly non-existent.

It's a cool design. Do Thingiverse users a favour though. Run your print it for a few prints and if you still like it, post it. With photos to prove that it can be done :)
^^this^^

Too many people take an art class and upload impossible things just because they can export to STL.
There should be a tag for identifying things that are actually printable.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Captain Starfish wrote:Do Thingiverse users a favour though. Run your print it for a few prints and if you still like it, post it. With photos to prove that it can be done :)
Agreed. When I'm on thingiverse I usually start by searching for parts with the most makes so I know it has at least been printed before.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Ah, I didn't know that there were spools with smaller holes that the ones with the matter hacker filaments I bought. I can always revise the design so that there are two models for it. I am not sure if the photos showed up, but I did print it successfully (after adding the mouse ears) and it now spins very smooth! No more machine jerking that I can hear from across the house.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

http://repables.com/r/204/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Well, that would certainly work too! Here is the one I just put on thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:973415?save=success
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Agisis, thanks for your design and for sharing it with others. Well done.
Gene, thanks for the link you provided, it is also a nice design.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

I like Genes for the simplicity. Mine is quite a bit more complex. I think the difference may be that for larger spool holes like what I have, the larger semi-circle gives a little bit of resistance so there is a little bit of tension. With the thinner one, you gain simplicity and also the ability to use spools with a smaller hole, but for large spool holes, I don't think it will give you the resistance the larger does because there isn't as much surface area in contact with the mount. I think I will print the one Gene linked so that if I get a spool with a smaller hole, I can leverage that as well.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It's not my design, I just use it. :) It also fits the spool arm on the Orion. I've got them on all my machines.

You've got the right idea though - you're coming up with solutions to problems and expanding your knowledge base in the process. I love seeing that. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Kevinvandeusen
Printmaster!

Post by Kevinvandeusen »

The design Gene referenced, is simple and elegant. I have printed them for all the machines I have sold, and/or built
Distributor of SeeMeCNC in South Carolina
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

I've noticed a few people buy the rostock and end up building them for others. I assume these are side local businesses (I can't imagine the fully built machine ships well to someone who has no idea how to calibrate it). How does one find people that want you to build the machine for them? Just curious. I have no time myself but seeing business spring up to build these for other people just further excites me that we are still in the birth cry of the Age of Home Manufacturing.

Return to “What are YOU making?”