Pan and Tilt camera platform

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Pan and Tilt camera platform

Post by Tinker12 »

here is a pan/tilt video camera platform i've been working on. uses RC continuous rotation servos for pan and tilt. still have to add some limit switches for tilt axis.
has a rotary slip ring on the pan axis for continuous panning. Made using an orion delta and T-glase all around. This is the first print, came out fitting pretty well could use a few tweeks
for better fit. Will be used in a subsea drop camera facing downward thru an acrylic dome view port. Designed in creo cad element express.
P1011683.JPG
P1011685.JPG
P1011680.JPG
ptcamera.jpg
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Pan and Tilt camera platform

Post by Captain Starfish »

Nicely done - how are you getting the camera signal through the slip ring (given high data rates, everything becoming an antenna etc)
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

I have tested the slip ring with color video camera ntsc analog signal and the servo power and signal at the same time without any problem. The slip ring data sheet says there are 12 rings so I placed the video power and signal next to each other and the servo signal and power next to each other instead of mixing them up. The slip rings has 12 conductors, 12 rings, got it off ebay for about 9 dollars, its part #
is SNM012A-12 FROM http://www.senring.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Slick, very slick.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Looks great! Very nice work.

I've been slowly pecking away at a design for a 2-axis version that uses a similar PCB camera. One that flies, though. The slip-ring gives me some ideas... This might have just gotten dangerous. :)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/70Z0X86.png?1[/img]

Now I"m curious about your sub. Doing the open ROV, or something of your own design?
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

oh no now you got me started!, The sub is almost an ROV, it is a drop camera that may be upgraded to an rov in the future by adding (4) BlueRobotics thrusters. It uses a 4.5" O.D. acrylic tube and dome housing by BlueRobotics. The tube is oriented vertically with the dome facing downward. The p/t cam looks out the dome with lighting mounted external to the tube while another pan camera looks out the side of the tube ( possibly a hacked GoPro 3 which can supply live video as well as take high res clips and stills). The subsea end runs off a battery pack and has basic sensors (depth, compass, temp, etc ) as well as a sensitive hydrophone to hear marine life, mainly whales. Everything subsea is run by an arduino Mega 2560 and custom shield. Control and telemetry is over RS-485. A modified Cat5 cable is the tether with one twisted pair each for video, hydrophone and rs-485 plus ground. Topside is another arduino mega and uno for control via a game controller and all data on a video overlay screen. The Orion 3d printer is invaluable in the project and i plan on making more parts using it. As well a a local fellow who has a cnc router to make the drop cam framework out of plastic sheet. All this is for a local non-profit Marine Science Center to use in their program with youth and adults offshore on a boat, so far they can only see and hear whats happening on the surface with the drop camera they can get a peek underwater , at least up to 250 ft deep.
Last edited by Tinker12 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

please post a pic of it assembled, would love to see a finished product!!

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

here is a cad rendering of vehicle with frame and payload less lights and a few sensors
dropcam.jpg
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

More details and pictures please.

I have a similar project that i would like to implement for monitoring a waterway.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Why not use non-continuous servos and have the limits set in software as the servos will have absolute positioning.
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

I will post more pics and info as it develops and time allows, If you have need for specific info let me know, i will try to accomodate.
When complete iwas thinking of posting all files cad, code, pcb schematics etc on a file sharing.

thought of using non-continuous servos with position feedback. For the pan axis i choose continuous because the cam platform needed
to turn 360 degrees plus via use of a slipring, that way if you are following something with pan motion you don't have to reverse direction an go back around.
On the tilt axis a postion feedback servo might work with a homing limit switch since the platform is belt driven for that axis, but
i was concerned about belt slip so opted for continuous with two limit switches.

Can you describe you project briefly?

thanks
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Also worth noting that these style rigs tend to spin on the tether and rock and roll on both pitch and yaw if there's any surface movement or surge. Quite different to an ROV where a lot of the motion is translational but the tether doesn't have such a massive influence. So your reference frame is the surrounds based on the image, not the body of the unit. 'Absolute' positioned servos referenced to an unconstrained, randomly twisting and rocking platform, have absolutely zero advantage in this application. But continuous (as Tinker12 has mentioned) certainly has an advantage. You could probably add an inertial package to provide some stabilisation but it won't be capable of holding the image still - errors will creep in fast - and, given operator input's required anyway plus the relatively low frequency of the positional noise then inertial stabilisation is probably overkill.
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

I had a question if anyone might have a idea what happens to a 3d printed part that uses say 40% infill to 70 % infill when put under high pressure water
say 150 psi or submerged to 300 ft depth. Will the part remain intact and usefull just full of water or will it be damaged? I ask because i'm wondering if i can
get away for 100% infill or not for parts outside the pressure housing.

thanks
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

I made some bits for my rebreather with the printer.

Any significant depth and it will soak with water.

ABS is fine, gets wet and stays wet on the inside when you surface. Nylon turns from semi rigid to almost fabric floppiness but still holds its shape.
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Pan and Tilt camera platform update

Post by Tinker12 »

got to love these 3d printers!
printed two more servo pan units for LED light and a video camera placed in acrylic housing also decided to make a rotor vane type water current meter, worked out great, printed at 70 % infill will with black t-glase
will use a coating to water seal. http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPat ... baj3pter00.
Current sensor uses magnetic bearing for very low friction, just used ring magnets similar poles facing each other on top and bottom with a pin thru center.
Have lengthed housing tube from picture to accomodate all stuff it is now 24 inches long 4.5 inches diameter.
orion printer works like a champ. Had slight problem with center pin for servo units not being perfectly true along the center axis, a little tilt, i.e. tilted as it is printed upwards from base, does anybody know what causes this?
current.jpg
INTCAM.jpg
dropcam.jpg
Attachments
DSC00053.JPG
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Is the light not looking in the same direction as the camera?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Oh wait, that model does hot have a pan tilt camera right?
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

the drop camera has two ntsc video cameras at this point. one is mounted on a pan tilt platfom facing downward with fixed lighting, the other camera is facing out of the tube housing horizontally and pans only, the led light is mounted on a similar pan platfom about 12 to 14 inches above the pan camera, it pans in sync with the video camera. both led light and camera have continuous pan capabilty with an position feedback sensor on both so they can sync movement. the led light is a cree model and can output up to approx 3600 lumens. I want to minimize backscatter into the camera thus the reason for placeing the camera an light as far apart as possible.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

A black sleeve with a cutout for the led. The light will reflect off the internal surface of the tube.
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

here is updated dropcam design with recently 3d printed parts. have be using t-glase and recently esun petg for material with very good results.
have printed parts with upto 90% infill (top and bottom rings on rail mount) for very strong parts. Things i would use to make out of HDPE sheet
now i just print, much easier to let the printer do the work!
Li-ion battery pack
Li-ion battery pack
rail system with modules
rail system with modules
cad model with payload
cad model with payload
cad model of dropcam
cad model of dropcam
On screen data display with simulated video pic
On screen data display with simulated video pic
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Any updates on your project?
Tinker12
Printmaster!

Post by Tinker12 »

hi, system has passed pool testing and is headed for ocean tests
thanks

https://www.facebook.com/cvstarrcenter/ ... 9895228553

Return to “What are YOU making?”