Dual Snailhorn Part I

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Elysio
Printmaster!

Dual Snailhorn Part I

Post by Elysio »

Hi

Dual Snailhorn, one part of a much bigger horn.
This part is created with 12 printed segements. Sandwich hull filled with sand to absorb resonance and vibrations.
This part weights completely 25kg. PLA only 10kg, printtime ca.600h.
snailhorn.jpg
leftsnailarm.jpg
Stay tuned
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Dual Snailhorn Part I

Post by Jimustanguitar »

That's awesome!

What drivers are you using?

What method did you use to calculate and design the horns?
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

Jimustanguitar wrote:That's awesome!

What drivers are you using?

What method did you use to calculate and design the horns?
Hi

Its a Atlas sound driver, the one the police used to install on their cars.
But its haviely modified, to get a linear frequency range from 80hz to 6khz.

Simulation for the Horn were done with AJHorn http://www.aj-systems.de/indexe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Construction were done with Rhino
https://www.rhino3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Are these files available?
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

No.
But you can buy the horn in some years. ;)
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Obviously it is audio equipment, but I am totally ignorant, what does a snail horn do?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It makes the sound go reeeeeeeeally slow. :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

A horn amplifies sound just like the horn on brass instruments, an old record player, or a megaphone. When you use a horn driver, you've got a very lightweight transducer that's efficient, less prone to distortion, etc but they're very small so it's critical to amplify the sound from them just right. It's hard to do well because they're such complex shapes. There's a science to the curvature, angle of folds, rate of expansion, etc in a horn driver. There are several different theories, and each builder and listener has a slightly different taste, so when you combine that with all of the different variables that your design needs to balance, it's kind of a black art.
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

Jimustanguitar wrote:A horn amplifies sound just like the horn on brass instruments, an old record player, or a megaphone. When you use a horn driver, you've got a very lightweight transducer that's efficient, less prone to distortion, etc but they're very small so it's critical to amplify the sound from them just right. It's hard to do well because they're such complex shapes. There's a science to the curvature, angle of folds, rate of expansion, etc in a horn driver. There are several different theories, and each builder and listener has a slightly different taste, so when you combine that with all of the different variables that your design needs to balance, it's kind of a black art.
Hi

You`ve described it well. But I never have heard that this is a kind of black art :twisted: May as it be, it`s indeed a very delicate technique, with many traps where you will make mistakes and misconstructions.
I have a friend who is very experienced, we developed this horn, it`s quite complicated, because it is a combination of all advantages of all past horn techniques. The demand was not to make any compromises.
The very first measurments are quite promising, a nearly flat frequency response from 200hz to 5khz thats over 4 octaves, and that is a teriffic result and that with a angle of 70°deg horiz. to 40° deg vertic. The horn it self is developed to support a frequency range from 200hz to 10khz, unfortunately there is no driver that can support such a range :cry:

In the pictures below you can see the snailhorn put together with the test flare, this flare will also been printed after the final measurments.
It will be combined in centre with a biradial horntweeter and a large bass array behind,which is a equal method for the bass range.
elysio_horn_western_electric_16a.jpg
elysio_test_horn_combined.jpg
elysio_bass_array_right_side.jpg
The picture below shows a very special horn, that was one inspiring horn model. It`s a Western Electric 16A. The "mother of all horns", it is the very early version of a cinema horn in the early twenties in USA. Legendary ! Passioned horn lovers are paying x thousands of bugs to get one original.
we_16a_red.jpg
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Those look amazing, great work! You mentioned that they'd be on sale eventually, what brand/maker should I read up on? (I'm probably not a potential customer, I'm just curious)

I miss the old HiFi shop. Our bread and butter was B&W in the pre-Magnolia days, but we also dealt with used equipment so we'd see classic Martin Logan's and KEF's come through all the time. There was always something different to listen to, and it was a lot of fun. We had a set of EV Patricians come through once. A guy flew out from Japan to package them up and ship them home in a container... Lots of neat stories.

If I'm ever in Deutschland, I'll have to look you up and give them a listen!
Elysio
Printmaster!

Post by Elysio »

You are really Welcome ! Just write me a note.

These EV patricians are fine ! Simliar or sometimes the same chassis were used in Klipsch La Scala, Eckhorn and many other manufacturers etc.....
I really love these old boxes.
They have character, due to the lack of better technology and materials, but they were fine and had their charme and they are much better even today in comparison to modern consumer and many High End speakers.
We have a local HiFi shop here in Riedenburg it is a very fine one.

Audi Creativ http://www.audio-creativ.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The owner has a JBL Paragon and some other cool stuff, he also built a radio and recordplayer museum, from the early days of records , beginning from the 19th century. Highly recomended to visit the museum.

Anyway, it`s Off Topic, Sorry.

Return to “What are YOU making?”