bot's bot build

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
bot
Printmaster!

bot's bot build

Post by bot »

Rostock MAX V2 (circa Sept 25 2014, Rev7 heatbed)

So, here we go.
Oh, hi.
Oh, hi.
The next morning.
The next morning.
I like crimps and stuff.
Hot end powa!
Hot end powa!
Extruder motor extension, fans and hot end thermistor.
Extruder motor extension, fans and hot end thermistor.
So I decided to go with a separate large two-pin connector for the resistor heaters and a smaller two-pin for the thermistor. Mostly for reasons of wire gauge. I decided to go with smaller 22g wire for the hot end thermistor instead of the supplied 18g.
Lee's Electronics, Vancouver.
Lee's Electronics, Vancouver.
For anybody in Vancouver, this is where to get all the electronics goodies you could dream of... and more! (And yes, that includes Kapton tape in several sizes.)

Some of you might have noticed these bad-boys in one of the previous photos:
Dampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzz!!!!11
Dampaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzz!!!!11
Astrosyn MY17RMDAMP Vibration Dampaaaaaaaaaa--ahem, sorry. Dampers.
Perfect fit!
Perfect fit!
Errrr... I said perfect fit, damnit.
Errrr... I said perfect fit, damnit.
For some reason I thought these 8mm M3 screws would work. I was about to file them down, or cut some of the longer ones I had with a hacksaw... stainless steel hardware isn't exactly easy to file.
DOH!
DOH!
But just after taking the first two strokes of the file I remembered I had some M3 hardware in a little packet that came with my PC motherboard way back.
Thank you, MSI!
Thank you, MSI!
Thankfully I checked before I wasted several hours filing or sawing stainless steel hardware...
bot
Printmaster!

Re: bot's bot build

Post by bot »

I actually had so many of the perfect size (or close enough) M3 screws to choose from. I even got these cool ones with a huge flange for a more, umm, flangeful grip. Yeah that's a word.
You magnificent little bastards.
You magnificent little bastards.
I took a moment to reflect on this small victory.
What a beautiful... rainy Vancouver day...
What a beautiful... rainy Vancouver day...
On to more serious matters. Serious business requires some seriously artsy-fartsy photos.
I don't even need glasses!
I don't even need glasses!
Seriously...
Seriously...
Artsy-fartsy overload.
Artsy-fartsy overload.
And now the task of removing all the laser cut pieces from the sheets and removing the masking material. I was absolutely dreading this step because I had been told how arduous, smelly, dirty, annoying, and finnicky it was.
Not a pain at all!
Not a pain at all!
I don't know what everyone was talking about! It was suuuuuuuper simple!
A cinch!
A cinch!
And just like that it was done. Yup... just like that. Absolutely fucking simple.

:twisted: Ahem... moving along.

The last three pictures are just me bragging.
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
And that's where I've left it. More to come tomorrow.

There's no fate but what we make.
*not actually a robot
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

Dampaaaaaaaz!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

bot, you're a hoot. Good writeup. :)

You'll have to pay close attention to The Five Stages of Masking Tape when the 2nd edition of the manual comes out. :)

BTW, if you use a pair of scissors to poke a slot into the top of the white box that the acrylic parts come in, it holds the hot end upright really effectively.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Aurora900
Printmaster!

Post by Aurora900 »

Hey, its your build thread finally! :P

Glad to see you've gotten started.... can't wait to see more :)
Russ
Prints-a-lot

Post by Russ »

And be sure to install the three hotend bolts upside down as it it makes it way easier to adjust/remove later. Great RTV job!
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

Rostock Max V2 - Lovin' it! Mods including dual 92mm chassis fans, vertical 92mm Rambo fan, and AstroSyn dampers.
MendelMax 1.5 - still in the box, what to do?
Thing-O-Matic - Rebuilt carriage, now converting to NinjaFlex
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Russ wrote:And be sure to install the three hotend bolts upside down as it it makes it way easier to adjust/remove later. Great RTV job!
Or you could cut some 10-32 threads in the aluminum standoffs, and use 3, 1/2"x10-32 button head screws on the effector plate, and 3, 3/4"x10-32 screws on the top plate. You would have to drill out the holes a smidge in both plates.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Dampaaaaaaaaaaaz!!

Thanks, everyone.

Gene, I look forward to seeing the v2 manual! And as for the laser cut pieces, it totally did not take me 3-4 OCD filled hours to remove the pieces. Totally didn't. :)

I have the hot end standing up in a vice with paper towel to protect the aluminum. I would never put a blade to that beautiful SeeMeCNC box! I will treasure it and use it to hold something cool. (I love small boxes/cases/bottles/containers that can be re-used.)

Aurora, it did take me a while to get to it, but I like being prepared. I made sure that I had every single tool and piece I needed before starting, and that I read Gene's manual completely so I know exactly what to expect. I'm also very lazy.

Russ and Mac the Knife, thanks for the tips on the effector fasteners. I'm aware that the nuts are hard to use on the bottom. I have a hard time changing that arrangement though. My OCD and previous experience from the avaition field tell me to never install a fastener upside down. If the nut comes loose, the screw falls out, there is no longer anything holding the piece in place. If the screw is in the top, the nut can fall free and the effector will still be somewhat in place. I will use some needle nosed pliers or something to hold the nut in place. I've installed some finicky hardware into some ridiculous places (inside of a motorcycle exhaust pipe, for example... heh) so I think I might be able to manage the odd nut placement.

Also, Odd Nut Placement is a good band name. Or a bad one... hard to tell.
*not actually a robot
Aurora900
Printmaster!

Post by Aurora900 »

bot wrote:Dampaaaaaaaaaaaz!!

Thanks, everyone.

Gene, I look forward to seeing the v2 manual! And as for the laser cut pieces, it totally did not take me 3-4 OCD filled hours to remove the pieces. Totally didn't. :)

I have the hot end standing up in a vice with paper towel to protect the aluminum. I would never put a blade to that beautiful SeeMeCNC box! I will treasure it and use it to hold something cool. (I love small boxes/cases/bottles/containers that can be re-used.)

Aurora, it did take me a while to get to it, but I like being prepared. I made sure that I had every single tool and piece I needed before starting, and that I read Gene's manual completely so I know exactly what to expect. I'm also very lazy.

Russ and Mac the Knife, thanks for the tips on the effector fasteners. I'm aware that the nuts are hard to use on the bottom. I have a hard time changing that arrangement though. My OCD and previous experience from the avaition field tell me to never install a fastener upside down. If the nut comes loose, the screw falls out, there is no longer anything holding the piece in place. If the screw is in the top, the nut can fall free and the effector will still be somewhat in place. I will use some needle nosed pliers or something to hold the nut in place. I've installed some finicky hardware into some ridiculous places (inside of a motorcycle exhaust pipe, for example... heh) so I think I might be able to manage the odd nut placement.

Also, Odd Nut Placement is a good band name. Or a bad one... hard to tell.
I made sure I had everything before starting too. The only things I was missing were a set of hex keys and the wrenches (as far as tools go). I thought I could find the JSTs locally though and I ended up not being able to... It's the first time I couldn't find something local haha. There's this great electronics supplier near by and they've never let me down before... so I was surprised

Also I wish I knew about the effector bolts before haha, it's such a pain to get the wrench on the bottom.... Next time I take that apart for whatever reason I'll be switching the nuts to the top.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

PSU and stuff. Surprised to find a 600W. Was expecting 550. Bonus.
600 Watts
600 Watts
IMG_1189.JPG
Free rubber bands too! This deal couldn't get any better.
Free rubber bands too! This deal couldn't get any better.
No way! It also came pre-modified and ready to go!**
No way! It also came pre-modified and ready to go!**
**totally a lie.
Hallelujah!! I see an image of his holy noodliness himself!
Hallelujah!! I see an image of his holy noodliness himself!
Always make sure you have everything you need. :)
Mmmm wrench.
Mmmm wrench.
So, one thing I don't understand is why the PSU is mounted upside down...
IMG_1205.JPG
Right side up now (for bottom of case orientation).
Right side up now (for bottom of case orientation).
So I'm going to fix that. The holes in the back don't line up so I'll use duck tape (yuuuuup). I figure they wanted the PSU to vent hot air from the Rambo/Stepper chamber... but I suspect that's why people are burning these things out. The ambient operating temperature of this thing is not very high... and the intake is supposed to bring in ambient air, not heated case air... so...
What the hell am I doing here?
What the hell am I doing here?
This was another great coincidence.
This was another great coincidence.
I'm gonna use these otherwise scrap pieces to make a fan mount/hole cover!
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Salvaged from the computer junkyard (my closet).
Salvaged from the computer junkyard (my closet).
A crazy idea...
A crazy idea...
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG
So this is actually one of the most powerful PC fans I've ever used, and it's only 80mm. It's also variable speed: from silent to hurricane.
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
Yuuuuuuuuuuup. That's all for today.

Rostock will become self-aware on August 29th, 1997.
*not actually a robot
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Looking good.

And you are in the right track. Reading a lot before building.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Ramen! :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

bot wrote: Rostock will become self-aware on August 29th, 1997.
Cyberdyne Systems didn't have any part in the design of the Rostock that I'm aware of.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

I think the PS fan is "upside down" to assure that air is drawn from inside the base and pushed out through the rear grill. If the fan is facing the bottom opening it may be exhausting outside air from the bottom opening to the outside trrough the rear grill.

Could be wrong here, I also added two 80mm fans in the rear side panels to keep the heat down since the fan on my corsair 750 was rarely running more than an idle.

nitewatchman
redoverred
Printmaster!

Post by redoverred »

Russ wrote:And be sure to install the three hotend bolts upside down as it it makes it way easier to adjust/remove later. Great RTV job!
I wish I had read this before!
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I remember vaguely readin here that you should suck air out of the electronics/psu compartment. If you push it in through the back it ends up cooling the bed. Or so some one reported.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Nitewatchmen, you're right. The fan normally does transfer the hot air from the underside through the psu. This is what I'm trying to avoid. The fan on the psu is designed to bring ambient air in, cool the psu, then exhaust right out the back.

I guess it wasn't clear in my photos, but I'm adding two fans that exhaust out the back panels to replace the loss of airflow. As I sai din my previous post, I suspect the orientation of the psu is calling the premature failure people are having. The ambient operating temperature the unit is rated for is not very high.

Teoman, good thinking. I'll cover all the holes with tape that could transfer air from the underside and cool the heat bed.
*not actually a robot
Aurora900
Printmaster!

Post by Aurora900 »

bot wrote:I guess it wasn't clear in my photos, but I'm adding two fans that exhaust out the back panels to replace the loss of airflow. As I sai din my previous post, I suspect the orientation of the psu is calling the premature failure people are having. The ambient operating temperature the unit is rated for is not very high.
I'm inclined to agree here. The default configuration results in air being drawn in through various locations in the base, pulled through the rambo and other warm components, then through psu, and then exhausted out the back. By the time it gets to the PSU its pretty much not doing much to cool the PSU down as the air is already warm. This also prompted the move for most high end PC cases to mount the PSU in the same configuration as you have: with the intake pointing down pulling in fresh air to cool itself. The rest of the equipment should have its own cooling. I would venture to say that with the heated bed hitting 90C all the time, it gets pretty warm inside the base. The ambient temperature in my PC is usally around 30C with something on the order of 60C air coming off the graphics card under load.... so we're tripling that temperature with the bed at 90. With that said, I think its even more important that the PSU have its own cool air.

And now that I've just processed all of this, I wish I thought of it before I built mine :P

Good thinking bot. If I have to replace my PSU I'm going to be mounting it the other way and installing dedicated intake and exhaust fans for the base.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Also. Be carefull with so many fans. If the start to go wonky and vibrate that could affect the print.

Try to install them with rubber grommets if you are in to making it perfect. And by perfect i mean spending time fiddling and over-engineering your new toy.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Clearly I'm into over-engineering and fiddling! haha.

Aurora, I'm glad you agree. I also build all my own PCs! You and I have some sweet hobbies! hah :)

Teoman, I'm not sure the vibration of the fans would ever come into play. These are pretty lightweight fans and I'm mounting them all with cable ties, so there will already be some degree of flexibility. There really isn't enough inertia in them to cause serious vibration enough to disturb the print. The steppers, even with the dampers, will likely cause more vibration. Noise could be an issue, but I've used all these fans before and know they can all operate virtually silently (the orange when if I turn it down really low :P).
*not actually a robot
Aurora900
Printmaster!

Post by Aurora900 »

bot wrote:Clearly I'm into over-engineering and fiddling! haha.

Aurora, I'm glad you agree. I also build all my own PCs! You and I have some sweet hobbies! hah :)

Teoman, I'm not sure the vibration of the fans would ever come into play. These are pretty lightweight fans and I'm mounting them all with cable ties, so there will already be some degree of flexibility. There really isn't enough inertia in them to cause serious vibration enough to disturb the print. The steppers, even with the dampers, will likely cause more vibration. Noise could be an issue, but I've used all these fans before and know they can all operate virtually silently (the orange when if I turn it down really low :P).
I build my PCs, as well as family and friend's... and well, that's my job... I'm a tech lol. I guess it can still be a hobby, and don't get me wrong I love building my PCs... but half the time when I upgrade its not because I need it, its because I want hands on experience with new hardware so I'm better prepared. I do a complete rebuild every 2 years lol (the old hardware gets demoted to either media center or server duty)

Those 80mm fans might vibrate more than a 120.... but I don't think they'd be an issue either. Don't forget, there's 2 fans hanging right onto the effector platform itself and those aren't an issue... and the base is pretty solid also, so... yeah... theres no way. (I'm guessing from the pictures that those are 80s you have....) Unfortunately 120s are just slightly too big :/ I personally would go as large as possible to keep the RPMs and vibration/noise down.... you should be able to fit 90s.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I have two nice, barely used 120mm with nice spiral flex cord covers just like the hot end... I was contemplating slapping them on the outside with custom enclosure eventually. you're right they are the perfect size to not fit INSIDE! haha.. I was really hoping they would fit, but figured when Russ was running an odd fan size that 120s wouldn't work. Now that I think about it, simply inclining the 120's a bit would give enough clearance... hmmm...
*not actually a robot
Aurora900
Printmaster!

Post by Aurora900 »

bot wrote:I have two nice, barely used 120mm with nice spiral flex cord covers just like the hot end... I was contemplating slapping them on the outside with custom enclosure eventually. you're right they are the perfect size to not fit INSIDE! haha.. I was really hoping they would fit, but figured when Russ was running an odd fan size that 120s wouldn't work. Now that I think about it, simply inclining the 120's a bit would give enough clearance... hmmm...
Perhaps... but you'd lose a lot of air flow unless you built a custom shroud for it.... wait a second.... I think i know someone with a thing that can make objects out of plastic... its magic or something
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

We need some kind of machine that like deposits stuff... and fuses it to make a model... like some kind of multi-dimensional plotter...
*not actually a robot

Return to “The Build Zone”